U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

1 minute ago, Suprefan said:

Just wait til we seem to think yet again a female cant run the country, especially a black one. Right now the goal is to make gains in the midterms and then let Joe hand it off to the the young ones. Maybe statehood for Dc and Puerto Rico become a reality.

Well yeah Kamala undoubtedly being the Dems nominee in four years may prove to be a roadblock, unfortunately, but you’ve also got to remember that the Reps nominee may well end up being a Trump friend like Cruz, so once again the people will come out to keep him out. I can’t think of a current Rep candidate who could win over any of Bidens voters from this year - they’re mostly tainted by Trumpism.

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Well yeah Kamala undoubtedly being the Dems nominee in four years may prove to be a roadblock, unfortunately, but you’ve also got to remember that the Reps nominee may well end up being a Trump friend like Cruz, so once again the people will come out to keep him out. I can’t think of a current Rep candidate who could win over any of Bidens voters from this year - they’re mostly tainted by Trumpism.

The thing is they just have to get enough people to vote a certain way in a handful of states and thats all it takes to win now. Like the DNC should be incentivizing people from California and New York to move to Georgia for the next 4 years so that there isn't another recount situation. Same goes for Wisconsin and Michigan and maybe North Carolina since that margin for the gop was 100k votes which could easily swing. It wont matter that much as to who the gop get other than its likely somebody from the south.  The ultimate weapon the Gop has is if they had a strong latino candidate to throw at the Dems. If Jeb Bush's son, George P made some moves, it might be concerning because of the name that goes with him, but who knows. And no way is it marco rubio either, fuck that guy. Abbot or DeSantis will be popular choices since theyre governors. Senators dont have that great of a track record for getting elected as it is so yeah, Cruz and Hawley have history against them. Obama is the most recent senator that was elected and before that you have to go back to Nixon being a senator and getting elected to office.  I at least feel good that there will be a solid crop of young Dems coming up that can make waves. If John Ossoff can keep things up he would be a great candidate and can impact the south which will anger the gop cause theyll have to spend more resources in states they thought they had locked up. AOC of course will have her time eventually, just a matter of how much progress has been made by then so that her agenda doesnt seem that extreme to not as far leaning dems. Katie Porter who is queen bullshit caller in the house hopefully starts to ascend in the mid terms if she runs for the senate in 2022.

It'll soon be 24 hours until the darkest timeline is over. I'm actually feeling genuinely celebratory. I whacked on some Outkast and had a little dance over it earlier. I know it'll be far from the end of problems, but fuck me, it'll be a start.

Edited by kalifire
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Trump will never get in again. He came along at a time when the American public were fed up with the usual lies and deceit from archetypal politicians so they chose a radically different route and that "social experiment" backfired spectacularly. But not everyone who voted for Trump is a QAnon right-wing nutjob. A great deal of sound-minded people gave him a shot (it was arguably that demographic that got him over the line in the first place) but they won't make that mistake again, I'm certain. The vote result showed that and the recent events will have only reinforced it.

We've certainly not seen the back of Trump in the political arena but back in the hot seat? I very much doubt it.

2nd highest popular vote of all time, suggests plenty did make that mistake again 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

It'll soon be 24 hours until the darkest timeline is over. I'm actually feeling genuinely celebratory. I whacked on some Outcast and had a little dance over it earlier. I know it'll be far from the end of problems, but fuck me, it'll be a start.

This. Along with the start of vaccine approvals and rollouts across the world it feels like the beginnings of a shift back to a time when the world wasn't quite so fucking insane.

6 minutes ago, kalifire said:

It'll soon be 24 hours until the darkest timeline is over. I'm actually feeling genuinely celebratory. I whacked on some Outkast and had a little dance over it earlier. I know it'll be far from the end of problems, but fuck me, it'll be a start.

Me too. His time tomorrow ends at 12pm DC time (5pm UK). So at 5pm I will raise a glass in celebration of the orange lunkhead gammon's status as president finally being over. What a disaster he has been...

We still have a whole day of pardons to get through. It won't be pretty.

I think the talk of 2024 is way too premature. We just don't know how the dust will settle. What happens in 2024 will hinge massively on how accountable Trump is held for his presidency, what else will emerge about it, and who will be implicated. The level of criminality at the heart of this presidency is still widely and wildly underestimated by most Americans.

9 minutes ago, kalifire said:

As long as Bannon and Maxwell don't get one, at least we have a couple of decent trials to look forward to.

Bannon will for sure.

I think Maxwell will too, but not certain.

Assange a possibility.

I am certain it will disgust anyone with a sense of moral decency.

19 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

What is worrying is if you get someone who attracts same support as Trump (i.e. nationalist, white grievance etc), but is actually intelligent.

Those only exist in movies.

18 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Do they have to be made public, or can they be kept confidential?

Technically they can be kept under wraps, the constitution again is weird that way. Although it has to be proven that it was written before tomorrow and im sure there is somebody who is witnessing these and will be kept a secret til needed. A literal get out of jail free card. Except theres lots of other layers to it that dont make it that simple for the accused. They cant just whip it out and say “hey, i got pardoned!”. You can still be put in front of a grand jury for example. 

sure sounds like a conviction to me.  24 hours left and cant do a thing about it. How quickly do the tones change when there is no fear mongering.

Edited by Suprefan

4 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Those only exist in movies.

Technically they can be kept under wraps, the constitution again is weird that way. Although it has to be proven that it was written before tomorrow and im sure there is somebody who is witnessing these and will be kept a secret til needed. A literal get out of jail free card. Except theres lots of other layers to it that dont make it that simple for the accused. They cant just whip it out and say “hey, i got pardoned!”. You can still be put in front of a grand jury for example. 

sure sounds like a conviction to me.  24 hours left and cant do a thing about it. How quickly do the tones change when there is no fear mongering.

Trumps getting convicted do you mean?

25 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Do they have to be made public, or can they be kept confidential?

It's fairly standard stuff for outgoing presidents to throw out the pardons though. He's going to have to go some to beat Big Bill Clinton. Didnt he do 500+ whilst he was in? Admittedly probably not at 2m a pop.

Edited by Ted Dansons Wig

7 minutes ago, Homer said:

Not sure I can be getting on board with this whole Mitch McConnell is a good person vibe.

You just have ti know that he is a politician and is doing what politicians are supposed to do, which is survive. He is doing what is right at this time. And it likely comes with a free pass against his wife and some other goodies later on. If he was able to talk down 10 senators from objecting mere hours after the attack, what makes you think he couldnt put everything into place after a couple weeks to ensure an impeachment conviction.