U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

Hi, if anyone wants the background on QAnon, someone on this board about a month ago recommended me this and it's prob the best podcast I've heard in my life. Reveals the background of QAnon and who Q is from a whistleblower. To say the whole story is absolutely fucking bastshit mental would be underselling it. Whoever recommended this to me (I can't recall now), thanks!

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/llhe5nm

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Hi, if anyone wants the background on QAnon, someone on this board about a month ago recommended me this and it's prob the best podcast I've heard in my life. Reveals the background of QAnon and who Q is from a whistleblower. To say the whole story is absolutely fucking bastshit mental would be underselling it. Whoever recommended this to me (I can't recall now), thanks!

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/llhe5nm

Cheers! I might give this a listen.

49 minutes ago, Homer said:

I get the feeling we are currently at the '1923 failed beer hall putsch' stage.

Trump will be back but age isn't on his side, and I'd be looking at the groundwork being laid for Don Jr or Ivanka to emerge in their own right for a further push in four years.

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Nixon was facing impeachment and conviction so negotiated himself a way out. I wonder of Trump might do similar?

For Nixon it was all about that pardon, and keeping his ex-president's privileges.

The same for Trump probably wouldn't be enough for him.

I think Trump has a bit more waiting for him when he's out of office. Ford pardoning Nixon put an end to what he called a long national nightmare and it was effectively over. 

This bunch aren't going anywhere soon and the beliefs and support from the base won't dissipate anytime soon.

Edited by Copperface

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Nixon was facing impeachment and conviction so negotiated himself a way out. I wonder of Trump might do similar?

For Nixon it was all about that pardon, and keeping his ex-president's privileges.

The same for Trump probably wouldn't be enough for him.

Main problem is that dem voters despise trump. I dont see the political benefit of not throwing the book at him 

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Main problem is that dem voters despise trump. I dont see the political benefit of not throwing the book at him 

Creates further division, gives the GOP something to unify against when they’re in civil war right now, possibly unconstitutional to hold an impeachment trial under a different administration, takes the focus off Biden/Harris and provides Trump with continued importance...

I don’t necessarily agree with all those, but they’re the reasons it could be seen as advantageous to leave him to the wrath of the SDNY and get on with the Dem’s agenda. 

14 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I'm not sure it's the best thing to do - although I'm not sure it isn't either* - but it might be decided that throwing the book at Trump wasn't the best way to bring the country together.

(* I'd like him locked up ... but I can recognise that might not be the best thing to do)

25 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm not sure it's the best thing to do - although I'm not sure it isn't either* - but it might be decided that throwing the book at Trump wasn't the best way to bring the country together.

(* I'd like him locked up ... but I can recognise that might not be the best thing to do)

The trump side are still carrying on their bullshit though. So how can the country come together? Whats to stop Hawley and Cruz trying this bullshit again?

I think its a mistake to cave in to terorrists

Pretty much this

Just because the terrorist this time happened to be the president of the very country he was attacking doesn’t mean he should be let off the leash to try and resume some kind of unity. Trumps side certainly aren’t open to unity, so Dems would be idiots to think that letting things slide is gonna accomplish it. Throw the book at him and lock him up, because whatever awful acts from his side that happen after that are gonna happen regardless. 

46 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Yeah Obama decided to move on from the previous admin rather than trying to go after Dubya/Cheney for War Crimes in attempt to heal the nation which seemed to work but then again he wasn't dealing with a lunatic with a need for attention.

I've started getting really bummed out by Trump's crazies. When looking at these people with the context of they are just a silly minority it's fine but then I'm seeing seemingly normal people on other forums I interact with list how the left have driven people to the attack and other bollocks is just depressing.

Edited by jump

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Pretty much this

Just because the terrorist this time happened to be the president of the very country he was attacking doesn’t mean he should be let off the leash to try and resume some kind of unity. Trumps side certainly aren’t open to unity, so Dems would be idiots to think that letting things slide is gonna accomplish it. Throw the book at him and lock him up, because whatever awful acts from his side that happen after that are gonna happen regardless. 

I too am beginning to come down on the side of throw the book at him. Any short term benefits of trying to placate these nutters would just give them the confidence that their words and actions are valid political statements. They won’t just disappear, irrespective of what Biden does next, so I think the evidence that there proved to be serious consequences for these actions will ultimately look better from an historical perspective.

4 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

I too am beginning to come down on the side of throw the book at him. Any short term benefits of trying to placate these nutters would just give them the confidence that their words and actions are valid political statements. They won’t just disappear, irrespective of what Biden does next, so I think the evidence that there proved to be serious consequences for these actions will ultimately look better from an historical perspective.

Yup. He has no regrets

And this 

All this talk of letting Trump off the hook because of 'division' is no more than right wing bullshit - a vacuous talking point to shift the blame onto others.

He was let off the hook following Muller and then the impeachment. He won't change, he won't get better. And next time it'll be worse, if you can imagine it.