U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

3 minutes ago, SheffJeff said:

Sorry if this has already been covered as I'm still half asleep... what happens if its a 269 tie? Penalty shootout?

A bloodbath. Goes to the senate and I believe the VP gets involved. Unlikely scenario I would have said though, but also anything that will involve senate or supreme court will end up in a Trump win.

Interesting chat on NBC (or was it CNN, too much channel hopping) about Democrats hoping for a moral victory at the beginning of the count i.e. a convincing win, so that it would 'repudiate' Trump's approach and set the tone for reducing divisions. Also looking unlikely seeing how things are panning out.

AP calling Texas for Trump and Democrats looking at losing house seats.

3 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

A bloodbath. Goes to the senate and I believe the VP gets involved. Unlikely scenario I would have said though, but also anything that will involve senate or supreme court will end up in a Trump win.

Interesting chat on NBC (or was it CNN, too much channel hopping) about Democrats hoping for a moral victory at the beginning of the count i.e. a convincing win, so that it would 'repudiate' Trump's approach and set the tone for reducing divisions. Also looking unlikely seeing how things are panning out.

AP calling Texas for Trump and Democrats looking at losing house seats.

Out of upvotes but thanks for the info.

Morning all. I've had three hours sleep and am now back for the foreseeable. Not feeling as good about it all now as I was a few hours earlier, but I do think despairing that Trump has won is a bit premature... can see he is being his usual charming self though.

Props to @Kurosagi - out of upvotes but you're still winning this thread!

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

1 minute ago, Ryan1984 said:

So, how is it looking?

Gonna take a few days. Mail in ballots have to be counted and a lot of counties sent their staff home for the nighf. Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Georgia all have a lot of ballots to count from mail in voting and it will make the difference. We might get lucky and find out at the end of the week. But it doesnt matter til states certify their results anyway.

2 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

So, how is it looking?

As it stands, tighter than Biden was hoping for. Negatives: lost florida badly, couldn't flip Texas. Positives: likely to win Arizona, taking Georgia to a possible recount, looking good in the rust belt.

So, likely to win it but not tonight and depends on what move Trump makes - he's already tweeted that the election is being stolen so not looking good for his speech soon.

3 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

So, how is it looking?

Bleak, Biden can still win but no blue wave - senate likely to remain republican and a reduced majority in the house.

Looks like the GOP fear of high turnouts was unfounded - even if Trump loses they have had a better night than expected.

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Morning all. I've had three hours sleep and am now back for the foreseeable. Not feeling as good about it all now as I was a few hours earlier, but I do think despairing that Trump has won is a bit premature... can see he is being his usual charming self though.

Props to @Kurosagi - out of upvotes but you're still winning this thread!

I'm a lurker by trade, but I *love* an election night so have had a good time 🙂

4 minutes ago, blackred said:

Bleak, Biden can still win but no blue wave - senate likely to remain republican and a reduced majority in the house.

Looks like the GOP fear of high turnouts was unfounded - even if Trump loses they have had a better night than expected.

Yep, that side of things (senate/house) looking less than ideal. The Economist's model builder still confident that his 92% chance of Biden victory is still holding up, so there's that...:

2 minutes ago, Gregfc15 said:

CNN sleeping on Georgia a little I think. 50-48 with the gap only 120k as all the Atlanta votes come in. NYT have it leaning Biden

Gap is only 120k, but there's only ~450k left to count - so those Atlanta votes need to be fairly lopsided.

Blimey. Fell asleep a few hours ago, back now and hell this is tight.

The last thing we needed (well, second to last after a Trump win) was this dragging on for days. Crazy that in the 21st century, the most important election of our lifetimes, we won’t have an idea who will be president for a few more days possibly.

Trump going guns blazing saying the Democrats are trying to steal it suggests to me he knows the vote won’t go his way in the remaining swing states.

3 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

<groan> a few hours and many pages ago we were speculating about a possible improvement being seen in the suburbs for Biden being down to women deserting Trump. Nope, no significant change on 2016. Really need someone to explain this to me, why do women continue to put their faith in him?

I read a while back someone said Brexit happened because too many people hate other people more than they love themselves. Guess that would apply here too...