So it starts.. Hopefully no Xmas

guypjfreak

4 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

The Christmas market in Leeds has been cancelled for this year. Likely to be the first of many similar cancellations around the country. 

I wonder if they’ll even bother putting lights up around the cities. No point trying to encourage crowds for the big switch on events. 

I’m a member of my local town centre management board - we decided no switch on at a meeting on Monday 

Ah c'mon, we're all adults here. Xmas is bollocks! It's fucking freezing, dark by 3.30, same shit songs every shop you enter, spending stupid money on presents nobody wants.

The only 2 good things about xmas is time off work & you can start drinking at 10 in the morning...... on second thoughts, fucking roll on xmas!!!!!!

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Wellyboot said:

We're not happy about it. Christmas is lovely!!!!

Couldn't agree more 🤩

Spare a thought for those old guys who get the Santa gig once a year. They are in the vulnerable age group and the job means they have hundreds of germ ridden kids in close proximity every day in the run up to Xmas! 

7 hours ago, SheffJeff said:

So you want to cancel Christmas the year after Pearl Jam stop releasing Christmas Singles? Surely that's not coincidental...what about if I have a word with Eddie?

Please do old son.. I've just spent another 50 squid on the mtv vinyl and cd lol

https://shop.pearljam.com/products/2020-pearl-jam-mtv-unplugged-reissue

Have to be clear tho.. For us adults...... Which basically rules half of us lot on here out......... Its just a matter of spending shit loads of money on shit 

BUT FOR THE KIDS especially the under say 12s 13s they have had a fuck of bad time so maybe just maybe I hope the numbers stay low enough for them to have a lovely time.. But for the rest it's a load of bollox lol 

12 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Spare a thought for those old guys who get the Santa gig once a year. They are in the vulnerable age group and the job means they have hundreds of germ ridden kids in close proximity every day in the run up to Xmas! 

Oops, just realised what I said and it might upset any young kids on here .  of course this is rubbish, Santa is real and immune to the virus😀

I feel like this years Christmas is going to be really hard. My family have a lot of people quite far apart as it is, so I think we’re probably going to do something for Christmas Day. Probably go somewhere small.

A reduced Christmas at home is just depressing. We’d rather not do it. I think we have all decided that we will all have small Christmas’s doing something a bit different and hopefully go back to the mass gatherings next year.

The current plan is me and my parents might just go and stay somewhere for Christmas Day.

1 hour ago, sime said:

I'm an adult. And I love Christmas. I will make the best of it this year but know it's going to be a weird one. I'm still looking forward to making the best of it though.

Making the best of a bad situation is what us Brits do best so the Christmas and New Year period should be a doddle 

• Upvote 1

Generally for Christmas day I tend to avoid the big family celebrations. Screaming kids running around is my worst nightmare. 

What I tend to do is collect those friends who are also not with their families due to work commitments etc and invite them around for a day of drinking, eating and shit films. 

It might not be Christmas but no one is left alone. I’m sure a virtual meet up on here can be arranged too. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Generally for Christmas day I tend to avoid the big family celebrations. Screaming kids running around is my worst nightmare. 

What I tend to do is collect those friends who are also not with their families due to work commitments etc and invite them around for a day of drinking, eating and shit films. 

It might not be Christmas but no one is left alone. I’m sure a virtual meet up on here can be arranged too. 

See, Christmas is lovely. Even you do nice things at Christmas! 😜

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

When I lived in Queenstown in New Zealand, most of the town was from somewhere else so there were a few years of orphans Christmas. Sometimes just our house, sometimes a few houses got together. Sometimes turkey and all the trimmings, sometimes a bbq. Very fond memories of those Christmases. 

Tend to work it now. I'm less bothered than a lot of my colleagues so easier to let them have it, and a couple of days at double time doesn't hurt

2 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

When I lived in Queenstown in New Zealand, most of the town was from somewhere else so there were a few years of orphans Christmas. Sometimes just our house, sometimes a few houses got together. Sometimes turkey and all the trimmings, sometimes a bbq. Very fond memories of those Christmases. 

Tend to work it now. I'm less bothered than a lot of my colleagues so easier to let them have it, and a couple of days at double time doesn't hurt

that takes me back to one of my best / worst ones ...... I was in NZ in a working hostel in Blenheim and on Xmas day woke to find my backpack had been taken and most of the contents strewn over the hostel lawn ...... however once I got past the emotion of it all it showed humans at their best ...... boss covered me an advance despite only working for him for 1 week , hostel offered me free accommodation until my replacement cards arrived from the uk .... International breakfast with everyone at the hostel contributing something and then my new boss had laid on an international xmas barbecue lunch in the sunshine ... how different it was to be the other side of the world :) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

that takes me back to one of my best / worst ones ...... I was in NZ in a working hostel in Blenheim and on Xmas day woke to find my backpack had been taken and most of the contents strewn over the hostel lawn ...... however once I got past the emotion of it all it showed humans at their best ...... boss covered me an advance despite only working for him for 1 week , hostel offered me free accommodation until my replacement cards arrived from the uk .... International breakfast with everyone at the hostel contributing something and then my new boss had laid on an international xmas barbecue lunch in the sunshine ... how different it was to be the other side of the world :) 

There an awful lot more decent people in the world that many folk realise.