Kae Tempest

jyoung

• 1 year later...

Bloody hell, the new album is a bit good isn't it?  It feels like a culmination of all Kae's work so far.  The hip-hop leanings are stronger, with even more direct emotions and some really quite wonderful backing music that far more than the simple accompaniment that some of her earlier records were.  Some fantastic chord changes underneath the vocal.

This is the most impressed I've been with their recorded music, the best thing I've heard since W Holt 2017.

39 minutes ago, Olshansky said:

I asked about Glasto but they didn't know yet if it was gonna work out. 

Surely it’ll happen. They’re a certified ‘Friend of the Festival’, new album out, active on the road this year, with dates free around the festival. I’d be surprised if Kae isn’t on the stage/time drop next month. 

49 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Bloody hell, the new album is a bit good isn't it?  It feels like a culmination of all Kae's work so far.  The hip-hop leanings are stronger, with even more direct emotions and some really quite wonderful backing music that far more than the simple accompaniment that some of her earlier records were.  Some fantastic chord changes underneath the vocal.

This is the most impressed I've been with their recorded music, the best thing I've heard since W Holt 2017.

My thoughts exactly. The set you refer to has been the gold standard for me ever since, and I’ve seen them live a couple more times since. The new record ticks all their strengths and the words hit as strong as ever. I mean…

Priority boredom
And all that you thought was important is gorging itself in the corner
Four courses of forced absorption

In the same old discourse of the dominant order

Flippin’ hec. 

Need to give it some more listens but found it a bit inconsistent personally.  Really enjoy the singles but the rest fell a bit flat for me.

The trouble I have with Kae’s music is explained by my indifference towards lyrics though so that’s really on me.  She’s obviously a very talented lyricist but that’s not the most important thing for me. 

Fully on board with the new album - great thoughtful lyricism as always and as others the musical element has gone up a notch. Glastonbury is a special place to them. That video of them performing Europe is Lost touches me although I wasn’t there for it love. Goosebump Glastonbury moment™. 

On 4/8/2022 at 9:54 PM, blutarsky said:

Fully on board with the new album - great thoughtful lyricism as always and as others the musical element has gone up a notch. Glastonbury is a special place to them. That video of them performing Europe is Lost touches me although I wasn’t there for it love. Goosebump Glastonbury moment™. 

I was right at the front. It was special!!

The new album hasn't quite hit for me yet but I think only because I have just had it on in the background. I need a couple of hours to listen a few times on headphones. With Kae lyrics are everything. 

Played the new album today for the first time (to be honest, I’ve heard a few songs but never really listened to anything by them before).

Didn’t grab me at first (even though I’m partial to a bit of poetry-over-beats) but I really warmed to it after a handful of tracks. Will revisit.

3 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I was right at the front. It was special!!

The new album hasn't quite hit for me yet but I think only because I have just had it on in the background. I need a couple of hours to listen a few times on headphones. With Kae lyrics are everything. 

I don't listen to Kae's music in the same way I listen to others. I tend to concentrate on one track at a time, multiple listens with lyrics, taking it in. Then I'll move on to the next, and it's only some time later I'll appreciate the album as a whole. I find their music too dense to have on casually, and I mean dense with quality.

4 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I don't listen to Kae's music in the same way I listen to others. I tend to concentrate on one track at a time, multiple listens with lyrics, taking it in. Then I'll move on to the next, and it's only some time later I'll appreciate the album as a whole. I find their music too dense to have on casually, and I mean dense with quality.

Yep there are some acts that are never going to be captured by a casual listen. It's why during the pandemic I've found my listening has changed what I end up liking. I've listened to way more music being at home so much more but less of it has been that active listening that I would have done when out walking to the gym or on the bus or train into town. 

I saw Kae on Friday doing an in store in Rough Trade. They did the whole album as one continuous poem. Delivery was excellent but I found it a bit much to take in, especially as the album was so new.

I think I’ll enjoy the gig as part of the tour next month a lot more.

Just now, t0paz said:

I saw Kae on Friday doing an in store in Rough Trade. They did the whole album as one continuous poem. Delivery was excellent but I found it a bit much to take in, especially as the album was so new.

I think I’ll enjoy the gig as part of the tour next month a lot more.

Yes I sometimes find with some acts the fist tour after something has just been released can be too soon as well. I you have time to get to know the art you enjoy it a lot more. 

• 1 month later...