Man walks into Wetherspoons

marathonsteve

Here I am drinking in my local Wetherspoons a refreshing pint of Brewdog Punk IpA  5.4 % .I hasten to add not my normal tipple as the Real Ale was a bit astray. It was Eat out for 50% off on a Monday,. A chap on the next table was delivered two meals for himself. He eats one meal and  some of the second meal and was given a doggy bag to take away for the second meal.. I was Agog

46 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

Here I am drinking in my local Wetherspoons a refreshing pint of Brewdog Punk IpA  5.4 % .I hasten to add not my normal tipple as the Real Ale was a bit astray. It was Eat out for 50% off on a Monday,. A chap on the next table was delivered two meals for himself. He eats one meal and  some of the second meal and was given a doggy bag to take away for the second meal.. I was Agog

So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time.

• Upvote 3

A few weeks ago there was an interview on Five Live with a Wetherspoons employee regarding the Neverspoons campaign. She said they were all a bit pissed off with what Tim Martin had suggested, but ultimately none of them lost their jobs, and nearly all would return once they reopened. But, if the campaign was successful, then they would lose their jobs.

13 minutes ago, henry bear said:

A few weeks ago there was an interview on Five Live with a Wetherspoons employee regarding the Neverspoons campaign. She said they were all a bit pissed off with what Tim Martin had suggested, but ultimately none of them lost their jobs, and nearly all would return once they reopened. But, if the campaign was successful, then they would lose their jobs.

Okay but if I do go to one, I don't really get what's in it for me...

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

Okay but if I do go to one, I don't really get what's in it for me...

I guess that the answer to that one is 'cheap alcohol'. 

I fully understand, and agree, that Tim Martin is a bell end of biblical proportions. However, huge swathes of the population who would like to go out for a drink, simply cannot afford to go elsewhere.

I do understand the sentiment against the bloke, but I do wonder if those criticising him / his views / his actions invest the time and effort into scrutinising the wholesomeness of the suppliers of their other purchased commodities.

The pub industry has been decimated for at least the last 10 years and many independant and small pubs have disappeared and those will have lost the staff jobs ... some indirectly from the opening of Wetherspoons and the pricing policy they have because of the buying power ... And low cost supermarket alcohol ... would that ever return to how it was before ? Although I’d never want those people to be losing jobs I’ve taken the decision that I’m avoiding the place as much as I possibly can and supporting independents if I can ... that might not be all the time (hopefully it will ) but I hate that prick Tim Martin and his nasty opinions and treatment of his staff .. so what other way is there to show him that his treatment has consequences ?

Edited by crazyfool1
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

The pub industry has been decimated for at least the last 10 years and many independant and small pubs have disappeared and those will have lost the staff jobs ... some indirectly from the opening of Wetherspoons and the pricing policy they have because of the buying power ... And low cost supermarket alcohol ... would that ever return to how it was before ? Although I’d never want those people to be losing jobs I’ve taken the decision that I’m avoiding the place as much as I possibly can and supporting independents if I can ... that might not be all the time (hopefully it will ) but I hate that prick Tim Martin and his nasty opinions and treatment of his staff .. so what other way is there to show him that his treatment has consequences ?

I'm not trying to defend capitalism, but that's the system that we live within. So, it'll always be a dog eat cat scenario in any market. If, and it is an if, Wetherspoons have decimated the pub industry, then it's effectively because the public have essentially ruled that that be so by choosing Wetherspoons.

7 hours ago, henry bear said:

I have twice ended up working at Wetherspooons at low moments in my life, one of those spells ended after I missed some shifts due to a suicide attempt. I wouldn't blaim Spoons for my depression rather see it as a symptom but certainly forcing myself to snap out of it and quit markedly improved my life both times.

So I don't feel that bad if Spoons boycotts mean less Wetherspooons staff, also it won't really cost anyone their job, it's easier to just not hire as many new people to keep your wage budget down than to fire people and staff turnover at Spoons is huge. If you are going to another establishment instead of Spoons as the Neverspoons is helping you do, you are doing just as much to support bar industry jobs as if you were going to Spoons and you are likely supporting better ones.

10 hours ago, marathonsteve said:

Pathetic. Should have finished them both, I would have.

At the end of the day I hated the guy before C-19 but would hit spoons occasionally anyway. Decent, cheap beer and food; you knew what you were getting. 

But his comments soured me further on him and there's far better and nicer places near me that need my support more. So I'll be making every effort to go to those instead.

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

I had enough of him lying over Brexit and, for me personally, boycotting Wetherspoons since then has been no hardship - so it's a win-win situation.

Aye, me and my mates used to talk about how we should stop going for ages. Just finally putting it into action.

11 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'm not trying to defend capitalism, but that's the system that we live within. So, it'll always be a dog eat cat scenario in any market. If, and it is an if, Wetherspoons have decimated the pub industry, then it's effectively because the public have essentially ruled that that be so by choosing Wetherspoons.

its more of the Tim Wetherspoon staff treatment that tipped me over the edge .... I cant really preach too  much as I work for walmart .... use Apple devices and have an amazon account amongst other things ....  its time for me to think a bit more about my use of some of these things and as said I cant be sure I will boycott because my friends may want to frequent them ... but I will try and influence them to look for alternatives 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

its more of the Tim Wetherspoon staff treatment that tipped me over the edge .... I cant really preach too  much as I work for walmart .... use Apple devices and have an amazon account amongst other things ....  its time for me to think a bit more about my use of some of these things and as said I cant be sure I will boycott because my friends may want to frequent them ... but I will try and influence them to look for alternatives 

I fully understand and appreciate your sentiments. Tim Martin is a truly odious person, on a number of levels.

• Like 1

I don’t frequent Wetherspoons often as I’m lucky enough to be surrounded by nice wee bars and pubs where I live. However, I do have a friend who is a single parent, has the same job as me so I know it’s not amazing pay. Whenever we have a night out together we always go to spoons because it’s a cheap night out for both the drinks and food. I get what people say and if you want to boycott it then that’s obviously a choice you can make. It does however have its place. 

I do wonder however if everyone that’s boycotting Wetherspoons for the reasons listed in this thread also never shop at Amazon, Tesco etc for the same reasons. 

Edit: This is a rhetoric post. Everyone can feel free to shop where they wish. Not an attempt to call anyone out. 

Edited by Tartan_Glasto