What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

9 hours ago, clarkete said:

I've not watched that, but only recently watched boshed through all of Luther, followed by the Netflix follow up.  I found it all interesting and entertaining and they had a great cast and some suitably evil villains/murderers.

Some of the early episodes it's easy to get annoyed about mistakes one or other of the coppers makes with terrible consequences, although of course these days we've had a number vof real life stories about terrible things done by met coppers. 

Australian and not at all sophisticated, but often very very funny and easy to speed through... 

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/apr/11/colin-from-accounts-review-at-last-a-female-character-thats-not-a-stereotype

Dark Winds was one I had to seek out. Only 6 episodes in season one, but watched them in two nights. 

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/dark_winds/s01

Also watched the first couple of episodes of that Shelter on Prime, which seems far more unpredictabie and mental than I expected thus far. 

Also zipped through all ten episodes of Silo over this weekend. Fabulous cast, a dystopia setting and a fast paced mystery with lots of questions to resolve. 

Now I'm waiting for season 2...

5 hours ago, clarkete said:

Also zipped through all ten episodes of Silo over this weekend. Fabulous cast, a dystopia setting and a fast paced mystery with lots of questions to resolve. 

Now I'm waiting for season 2...

Can also recommend the books that it's adapted from.

Thought the show did a great job, especially for the overall feel of the books

• Upvote 1

On 8/29/2023 at 6:57 AM, philipsteak said:

Can also recommend the books that it's adapted from.

Thought the show did a great job, especially for the overall feel of the books

Haven't read the books, but they've done a great job setting up plenty of intrigue for what lies ahead. 

Taskmaster back next week.

They're churning the series out since the move to 4. The quality is still high though so hopefully they manage to maintain that. I think they have about 3 series in production at any one time now.

I like the three I know (Julian Clary, Sue Perkins and Lucy Beaumont , probably the one I'm most looking forward too) and think they all have a lot of potential. Haven't seen Sam Campbell's stand up but have heard him as a guest on podcasts and like what I've heard. I know other comedians really rate him. Know very little about Susan Wokoma. I've seen her in stuff but if course that's not 'her'. Actors are a bit of a wildcard but usually work. They're very good at putting a cast together.

11 hours ago, philipsteak said:

They're churning the series out since the move to 4. The quality is still high though so hopefully they manage to maintain that. I think they have about 3 series in production at any one time now.

I like the three I know (Julian Clary, Sue Perkins and Lucy Beaumont , probably the one I'm most looking forward too) and think they all have a lot of potential. Haven't seen Sam Campbell's stand up but have heard him as a guest on podcasts and like what I've heard. I know other comedians really rate him. Know very little about Susan Wokoma. I've seen her in stuff but if course that's not 'her'. Actors are a bit of a wildcard but usually work. They're very good at putting a cast together.

Julian Clary being on it has convinced me to watch.

On 9/6/2023 at 5:35 AM, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Just finished One Piece. I am not really a fan of anime but this life action version was a jolly good romp

Yeah, I watched all of that pretty quickly, it was good fun, particularly with the charm of the central character.

On 9/14/2023 at 9:53 PM, philipsteak said:

I've seen all of them and enjoyed it very much, they do a cracking job at picking a group each time.

I've seen Susan Wokoma in Toast, Truth Seekers and Enola Holmes 1 and 2, she was great in all and I'm sure she will be in this too.

On 9/14/2023 at 10:00 PM, philipsteak said:

Oh and the New Zealand version is worth a watch. It's on All 4. I've watched the first two series in YouTube. Actually thinking about it, I might just watch the 3rd on YouTube too, the All 4 app is horrible.

I watched it fleetingly but found the opposite, without the knowledge of the two hosts or any of the panel there wasn't a hook to lure me in.  I was perfectly happy though, as with most of us got several lifetimes worth of other telly I could watch.  I don't mind the all 4 app, dunno why but I find their ads less annoying than youtube ones.

Enjoyed the first three episodes of Gen V, the spin off from The Boys. Very much more of the same so if you're a fan of that shows ridiculous over the top set pieces and incredibly unsubtle satire then you'll probably enjoy this just as much.

Although a part of me does miss Karl Urban's terrible accent.

Watching The Reckoning, the dramatisation of Jimmy Savile starring Steve Coogan. 

Coogan is phenomenal, but it’s (obviously) an uncomfortable watch. One episode in so far. The survivors’ appearance at the end of the episode hits hard. It’s just unbelievable he didn’t face justice while he was alive. 

5 hours ago, kalifire said:

Watching The Reckoning, the dramatisation of Jimmy Savile starring Steve Coogan. 

Coogan is phenomenal, but it’s (obviously) an uncomfortable watch. One episode in so far. The survivors’ appearance at the end of the episode hits hard. It’s just unbelievable he didn’t face justice while he was alive

Will need to give that a watch for sure

It must go so deep in the entertainment world. Biggest open secret by the sounds of it

9 hours ago, kalifire said:

Coogan is phenomenal, but it’s (obviously) an uncomfortable watch. One episode in so far. The survivors’ appearance at the end of the episode hits hard. It’s just unbelievable he didn’t face justice while he was alive. 

Just finished it and it certainly is grim viewing. I can't praise Steve Coogan enough. I won't say much as that would spoil it but I thought the assaults were done tactfully leaving much to the imagination. 5 stars 

21 hours ago, kalifire said:

yeah, watched first episode last night...and agree...hard to watch and Coogan is brilliant.

18 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Ghosts , love it

I was trying not to watch the whole thing, maybe even watch once a week.. That lasted a day and I ended up watching it all in two sittings.

I'd have been very happy with that as an ending although there is going to be a Christmas special too.

Not that I'm happy it's ending of course.

3 hours ago, philipsteak said:

I was trying not to watch the whole thing, maybe even watch once a week.. That lasted a day and I ended up watching it all in two sittings.

I'd have been very happy with that as an ending although there is going to be a Christmas special too.

Not that I'm happy it's ending of course.

I did exactly the same

On 10/14/2023 at 12:37 PM, kalifire said:

I can't wait to catch up with this. Mike Flanagan has an impeccable history of knocking out amazing shows.

I really struggled with the Midnight Club. I'm having a random need to rewatch Midnight Mass somehow, but yes, two episodes in Usher. Am curious where this is going... Trying to resist going online to see what subtle things I've been missing in the first episodes too.

Otherwise, in a totally different genre, finished Starstruck yesterday. What a lovable show! And Gen V.  I was worried about the "teen" aspect but am pleasantly surprised!

The Changeling was weird and interesting with LaKeith on form.

Two episodes left of The Fall of the House of Usher and it’s great. Mark Hamill’s gruff voice is amazing.

Couldnt get into the latest series of Miracle Workers but excited for the final Ghosts and also have new Upload on our watch list.