What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

I've been saving For all Mankind S4 for the Xmas break (am at the parents/need something to watch that will not give them a heart attack etc.)

Slowly going through Slow Horses. Making it last!

Oh and I started Blue Eye Samurai, it's good! Pity there's random non Xmassy Gore and nudity or I'd binge the rest in the next few days 😛

11 hours ago, moogster said:

Slowly going through Slow Horses. Making it last!

Oh and I started Blue Eye Samurai, it's good! Pity there's random non Xmassy Gore and nudity or I'd binge the rest in the next few days 😛

I haven't started S3 of Slow Horses yet, but liked the other two very much.

As for Blue Eye Samurai, quite a lot of other adult content too, but it does all look incredible. 

I've really enjoyed S3 of Slow Horses. Possibly my favourite yet. 

Recently been binging The Lazarus Project. About half way through the 2nd season. It's a lot of fun. Started off pretty complicated but it's now getting REALLY complicated. Which is good as I currently need a distraction from things going on and this definitely does that. It does it all in a way that as long as you pay attention you can follow it, which some shows like this don't manage.

Due to technical issues I didn't manage to watch what I wanted over Christmas BUT let's face it, David Attenborough's Our Planet series was full of suspense and cliffhangers too :). And not sure if this counts as TV but Wes Anderson's short films based on Roald Dahl's work were very nice too.

14 hours ago, moogster said:

And not sure if this counts as TV but Wes Anderson's short films based on Roald Dahl's work were very nice too.

Yes I liked them too.  I vividly remembered someone reading the Henry Sugar one to the class on secondary school and it was a great adaptation, seemed to be a good match of the story, the cast and his style. 

Is anyone still watching The Curse? I'm really unsure what to make of it. The last episode was pretty uncomfortable to watch, as they all are to some extent. Yet it's still so compelling, and I can't remember watching a show quite like it. I'm reminded of the Guardian's review just before the first episode aired, which sums up how I'm feeling about it right now...

"The Curse is highly uncomfortable viewing. I would go so far as to say it is almost uniquely unpleasant to sit through each of its 10 episodes, most of which hit the hour-long mark. To say that I enjoyed it, as an entertainment experience, would be a lie. It is horrible and excruciating. Yet it is also inventive, provocative, oddly mesmerising and quite unlike anything else you will see on television this year."

Edited by kalifire

3 hours ago, kalifire said:

Is anyone still watching The Curse? I'm really unsure what to make of it. The last episode was pretty uncomfortable to watch, as they all are to some extent. Yet it's still so compelling, and I can't remember watching a show quite like it. I'm reminded of the Guardian's review just before the first episode aired, which sums up how I'm feeling about it right now...

"The Curse is highly uncomfortable viewing. I would go so far as to say it is almost uniquely unpleasant to sit through each of its 10 episodes, most of which hit the hour-long mark. To say that I enjoyed it, as an entertainment experience, would be a lie. It is horrible and excruciating. Yet it is also inventive, provocative, oddly mesmerising and quite unlike anything else you will see on television this year."

Only got 4 episodes in before all the christmas stuff curtailed it. An interesting but unenjoyable watch. Some great bits, like the actual shared fun of Emma Stone getting her jumper stuck on her head, then ruined by them trying to replicate it.  Benny Safdie's bits are the most compelling.

On 12/23/2023 at 8:40 AM, philipsteak said:

I've really enjoyed S3 of Slow Horses. Possibly my favourite yet. 

Yes, finished it in last couple of days and it was the best yet.  Can't wait for S4. 

I've also watched S2 of Reservation Dogs on Disney which I love.  Splendid young cast and the other folks on the Rez. 

On a very different tack I watched S1 of Julia with Sarah Lancashire, David Hyde Pierce and Bebe Neuwirth (amongst others).  At the core is a great love story between a couple who've been together for many years, a woman doing something pioneering in the male dominated world of tv and her friends supporting her through the trials and tribulations they encounter.  The recreation of the world from their time is beautiful  and the scripts are sharp, touching and very funny. 

I seem to be in a minority of one, but I didn't enjoy Mr Bates vs The Post Office much as a piece of entertainment. It felt very soap-opera and a bit clunky. Obviously an important piece of television, just not an especially accomplished one.

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

I seem to be in a minority of one, but I didn't enjoy Mr Bates vs The Post Office much as a piece of entertainment. It felt very soap-opera and a bit clunky. Obviously an important piece of television, just not an especially accomplished one.

Wash your mouth out 😉

7 hours ago, kalifire said:

I liked it (Toby Jones innit) but there were a few really clunky lines (WE'RE MAKING A SERIOUS POINT!) which even he struggled with.