What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Man of Steel was terrible.

Batman v Superman was terrible.

Justice League was terrible.

Will I still watch the Snyder cut? Probably...

You can’t get HBO Max over here though, can you?

No and I'm intrigued to know what Warner's plan is for their movie releases. I know there's been a huge deal made of the fact that HBO Max will get all of Warner's cinema releases at the same time as they'll appear in the cinemas. So it doesn't hurt to wonder if there's similar plans for other markets.

I know Wonder Woman 84 was made available on Amazon Prime and other paid-for premium streaming services in the UK (Sky Store went big on advertising it, for one) so wonder if that's just how they'll continue to do it over here.

Just now, vintagelaureate said:

The HBO streaming can't come over here because of the deal they have with Sky. They signed a five year extension in 2019, so unless Sky get exclusive rights to the service it won't be over here for a while.

Sure -I'd imagine new HBO content, including things for HBO Max in the US, will be broadcast on Sky over here. More just curiosity about the movies element of the equation, that's all.

5 minutes ago, jump said:

Nah you can’t get HBO over here. It seems like a shame as the DC shows they make for it like Harley Quinn, Doom Patrol (first season at least) and James Gunn’s Suicide Squad spin off Peacemaker would make me subscribe to it.

I felt bad pirating this but there's still no legal way to watch it and it's one of the better bit of on screen superhero stuff, I couldn't stop at season 1 (it's on All4). So, so good.

6 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Sure -I'd imagine new HBO content, including things for HBO Max in the US, will be broadcast on Sky over here. More just curiosity about the movies element of the equation, that's all.

Sorry, I hadn't seen your reply before I typed that.

I don't think we'll see same day releases on demand over here - unless perhaps if cinemas remain closed. Wonder Woman was originally a cinema release here (18th or near to of December), but it changed quickly with everything going on to on demand (January).

I'm pretty sure some chains - the Vue for example - have refused to show any Warner Brothers films If they follow the day and date release format. 

Edited by vintagelaureate

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Surely they can just release the films to any streaming platform on a PPV basis?

I imagine that's what they'll do. As said above, Wonder Woman was released this way back in January, as were a few low budget movies that had been due out in cinemas.

Wonder if this might end up being the standard and other movie distributors may end up following Warner's lead.

Just now, vintagelaureate said:

Sorry, I hadn't seen your reply before I typed that.

I don't think we'll see same day releases on demand over here - unless perhaps if cinemas remain closed. Wonder Woman was originally a cinema release here, but it changed quickly with everything going on. 

I'm pretty sure some chains - the Vue for example - have refused to show any Warner Brothers films If they follow the day and date release format. 

Think it was due out in mid-December and was released in cinemas that weren't in tier 4 at the time, though this ruled out where I live as we were put into tier 4 one week before.

It is interesting to see the different levels, given Warner are hedging their bets with this joint release (I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes the new standard), Disney seem to be splitting things between Disney+ and delay for cinemas, and Sony just seem to be pushing everything backwards.

4 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Think it was due out in mid-December and was released in cinemas that weren't in tier 4 at the time, though this ruled out where I live as we were put into tier 4 one week before.

It is interesting to see the different levels, given Warner are hedging their bets with this joint release (I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes the new standard), Disney seem to be splitting things between Disney+ and delay for cinemas, and Sony just seem to be pushing everything backwards.

I think what the Disney+ approach is will become clear soon. They delayed Black Widow (amongst others) twice but it is a film that doesn't have a huge wider impact on the MCU. If they were then to delay Shang-Chi or The Eternals again, it would affect their TV programming too as they feed directly into the the new shows they have coming and vice versa. I was reading today Kevin Feige is adamant he doesn't want it to go to a PPV service - Mulan performed horrendously on it - but the Disney executives are leaning towards it with the current outlook.

Edited by vintagelaureate

This new Justice League is gonna suck, isn’t it? Like has been said, all of Snyder’s other DC properties sucked so I see no reason why this incredibly over-laboured and overlong one won’t.

Still though, I’m glad it’s seeing the light of day and I’ll for sure be looking for a way to watch it on release day. I wasn’t aware that Whedon had come in and reworked so much of it. Be hilarious if it turns out to be actually worse than the one we got the first time round. 

I find Snyder’s movies to be bleak and joyless.

The Justice League trailer makes me think it’s gonna be that way too.

Mind you, Dawn of the Dead was amazing, I guess because bleak and joyless fits the bill in that instance.

Edited by John the Moth
Correct the autocorrect

26 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

Mind you, Dawn of the Dead was amazing, I guess because bleak and joyless fits the bill in that instance.

Goddamn that film is good. 

I mean, in the most ridiculous blood-and-guts-fest way possible, but it’s incredibly enjoyable non stop action from like two minutes in and then never lets up. 

Shame he had to cram so much storytelling and dialogue in to these DC films as that’s clearly not his strong suit. 

15 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I always used to say I liked Watchmen, but after watching the infinitely better HBO series I think in reality I just liked the 'Times They Are A-Changing' intro.

Watchmen’s pretty good I thought although I think that’s largely because it’s an almost shot for shot copy of the comics apart from omitting the big alien monster at the end. 

Snyder seems pretty good at straight adaptations - it’s when he has to draw up a story/script himself that it seems to go to shit.

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Watchmen’s pretty good I thought although I think that’s largely because it’s an almost shot for shot copy of the comics apart from omitting the big alien monster at the end. 

Snyder seems pretty good at straight adaptations - it’s when he has to draw up a story/script himself that it seems to go to shit.

For me Watchmen is too faithful as the characters couldn't breath and come to life whilst rigidly following the comic itself otherwise it's really good. The Watchmen show was great but takes the opposite approach being loosely connected to the comic.

9 hours ago, priest17 said:

I felt bad pirating this but there's still no legal way to watch it and it's one of the better bit of on screen superhero stuff, I couldn't stop at season 1 (it's on All4). So, so good.

Yeah, it's god damn good. For all of the superhero-ness I find it's more like Daria with it's acidic wits and insightfulness, it's really great smart dumb comedy. When I tell people about the show I will mention Doctor Psycho and how he got thrown of Legion of Doom for calling Wonder Woman a c**t as he doesn't "represent their brand of evil" as an example to see if they like it or not.

I'm really looking forward to season 3.

17 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

In other news, I've just watched "Willy's Wonderland".

Quite the emotional rollercoaster... if you like a silent Nic Cage taking on demonic animatronic ostriches whilst high on energy drinks and pinball.

It's on my list, along with Jiu Jitsu

Does it have to be telly shows? I saw Life After the Navigator earlier. A feature length doc based around the classic 80’s movie Flight of the Navigator, and what happened to the child star of that film. I found it quite an emotional tale, although I adore that movie so I was already invested. 

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

Does it have to be telly shows? I saw Life After the Navigator earlier. A feature length doc based around the classic 80’s movie Flight of the Navigator, and what happened to the child star of that film. I found it quite an emotional tale, although I adore that movie so I was already invested. 

I posted about a film so documentary’s are fine I think. I went to get into more documentary’s!

21 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

I think what the Disney+ approach is will become clear soon. They delayed Black Widow (amongst others) twice but it is a film that doesn't have a huge wider impact on the MCU. If they were then to delay Shang-Chi or The Eternals again, it would affect their TV programming too as they feed directly into the the new shows they have coming and vice versa. I was reading today Kevin Feige is adamant he doesn't want it to go to a PPV service - Mulan performed horrendously on it - but the Disney executives are leaning towards it with the current outlook.

Given Mulan didn't go well, I didn't think Disney were that tempted to go down that route again. Unless they're expecting the MCU clientele to be more willing to indulge in such measures than the target audience for Mulan was.

13 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

This new Justice League is gonna suck, isn’t it? Like has been said, all of Snyder’s other DC properties sucked so I see no reason why this incredibly over-laboured and overlong one won’t.

Still though, I’m glad it’s seeing the light of day and I’ll for sure be looking for a way to watch it on release day. I wasn’t aware that Whedon had come in and reworked so much of it. Be hilarious if it turns out to be actually worse than the one we got the first time round. 

I can't say I'm terribly enthusiastic about it - Batman v Superman wasn't the best film starring either character, and I can't help but think 4 hours is too long for this kinda movie.

Not that I'm sure how you'd go and watch it here.

Watched whole series of ZERO ZERO ZERO 

It's in subtitles but didn't ruin it in any way..... Some people don't like subs but I find after a couple of minutes you don't notice them.. 

Good films to watch 

Into the wild 

The intouchables.. The French film not the US one 

The General 

The gentleman... Probably the best film I've seen in ages