How do you feel?

Matt42

On 8/19/2020 at 9:41 AM, Tartan_Glasto said:

I've come to the realisation that I actually really hate my job.

I have  a lot of friends at work and I think going in and seeing them everyday distracted me from how much I didn't like my work. Now working from home it's brought it all to light. I think the isolation is starting to get to me. I do live with my partner but he works for the family business so is out from 5am to 5pm every day so I just float around the flat myself all day long. 

I had two weeks off recently and didn't even really enjoy it. I seemed to get a fair bit of anxiety which seemed to be focused around thoughts of my job. Two weeks off but I was still "in the office" as my home is now my office. 

I've even found myself googling things like "do  have anxiety?" or "Do I have depression?" because I know I just don't feel right. 

The problem is exacerbated by the fact that 1) It's not really a great time to be trying to find a new job and 2) I am really not qualified to do anything. 

I'm becoming less and less productive at work. My manager even highlighted this to me in a 121 and I thought right, I'm gonna get in the zone now. However, I still can't bring myself to be able to focus. Even though I know my volume of work is being watched I just cannot find the motivation.

Sorry, that was all a bit of word vomit just to get thoughts off my chest I guess.

Hi Tartan, i do know the feeling, i think many of us a in the same position presently, you are not alone. Covid has hit a lot of people hard emotionally and professionally. In February i was called in to see my boss to be told the company was 'redefining' my job role and title and that i was out of a job and i could either re-apply for the 'Newly defined job description or take redundancy , which meant taking aboard many added KPIs and get paid the same but to do two roles in one. Given the existing stresses and pressures i had been under i decided that at the age of 58 i would take the redundancy and look for another job in the same business field. Unbeknown to me of course that whilst working out my notice period that Covid would hit. Luckily and perhaps mistakenly the company i was working for put my on furlough instead of letting me work out the remaining 6 weeks at another office. This meant that i was at home form April through to the end of July of 80% pay. This is ok as my wife is working. Now many would not want to use their redundancy money to pay bills, but as of now i will have to use a least 2k at the end of this month to do so. I am looking for work which presently is almost impossible in my old business which is pretty niche ( Reprographic printing). My role was a 'business' manager in a high street shop;  and we all know what Covid has done to the high st. I have been applying for everything that fits my experience and salary needs since the beginning of July with no luck. I know that other businesses within the same field have had to streamline their businesses closing offices. Indeed the one that i worked in closed and the rest of the staff also got made redundant, so i would have lost my job anyway!

Now i have had to look at other things, i need to be out and earning, my age is against me at 58. I am now starting on the route to become a London Bus driver. Not what i would ideally want to do but i am lost as to what else i can do given i have done the same job for over 35 years since a boy.

It's good to get this out and down on paper so to speak, if it's any help, you are not alone in feeling the way you do. To be fair, you have a job, though i appreciate not one you wish to be in.

Come in the end of October, if i am not in work, some serious decisions will need to be made. Not something i am looking forward to should that time arise.

• Like 1

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Yes and no ... think I’m probably gonna sign myself off 

Oh no is it work? If you're able to get away from it for a bit then you should if it'll make you feel better!! You have to look after yourself and do whats best for you!! You know where I am if u need a chat. Try not to let it get you down, easier said than done i know, but its important to try if you can do 

1 minute ago, Wellyboot said:

Oh no is it work? If you're able to get away from it for a bit then you should if it'll make you feel better!! You have to look after yourself and do whats best for you!! You know where I am if u need a chat. Try not to let it get you down, easier said than done i know, but its important to try if you can do 

It’s just way too busy ... and the facemasks thing I just can’t seem to get it out my head :( ... I asked my line manager to come off the shop floor tomorow as I was suffering today with it getting to busy ... and his response was we will have a look in the morning :( 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

It’s just way too busy ... and the facemasks thing I just can’t seem to get it out my head :( ... I asked my line manager to come off the shop floor tomorow as I was suffering today with it getting to busy ... and his response was we will have a look in the morning :( 

Oh im so sorry 😔 hopefully he sorts it out for you for tomorrow. Try not to worry about it too much today if you can x

57 minutes ago, Wellyboot said:

Oh im so sorry 😔 hopefully he sorts it out for you for tomorrow. Try not to worry about it too much today if you can x

he won't do anything ... just like they have done nothing to alleviate any of my concerns since my return .... even something as basic as asking  for windows to be opened .... which ive requested to 3 managers on 4 occasions in an area with no airflow 

Edited by crazyfool1

Yeah even tho Johnson now thinks we should be all back in the office so we can buy overpriced sandwiches at lunchtime and help to keep those property oligarchs office rent stream flowing, reality is that our building isnt architecturally able to take several thousand staff in and out daily if we are to keep sufficiently apart. Result would be fire safety regulation breaches plus loads to time wasted trying to get in and out daily (queuing for half an hour just to get in), plus honoring Employment Act toilet arrangements.

ok so ive been feeling a bit low , especially the last couple of days with the Glastonbury announcement ... although that just topped off my frustrations really ... ive sought advice from a few others out of  the forum and they have been helpful in calming me down ... ( thanks to my mum and @vintagelaureate but the reason for this post is that im posting to see if anyone has any words of wisdom that might be of help to me going forward .

The main reason is that I dont feel at all safe in my workplace and have been sold  my return based on it being safe and that measures are in place for my safety ..... which were removed within a short time of me going back ... or quite simply they are not being enforced in any way whatsoever .... so for example social distancing ... today it was clear that some new colleagues should have been wearing facemasks when being trained at close quarters by other colleagues also not wearing facemasks using handheld pdas .... I went to my manager and requested that this happen and was told that they were adhering  to social distancing ... which one of you can read a mobile phone screen from 2m ? because that would be the case if they were !!

2weeks ago I wrote a letter to the store manager outlining my concerns about safety and some of the things I mentioned would be very simple to implement ... such as opening the windows to aid ventilation in our colleague changing rooms ..... but this was the 4th time ive asked for this to happen and still it hasn't 

ive had a meeting with the store manager who produced my screwed up letter from his pocket  , emailed head office twice with no response , had a meeting with my department manager who when i asked  if he was taking notes 1 month ago  said he would write them on his mobile phone .... I dont think he recorded anything .... 

I dont know where to  go from here .... I dont  want to  be posting again when the store has had an outbreak or worse ... perhaps we won't get anything but im  not having someone becoming ill on my conscience .... just not sure where to go with it .... its making me feel really shit with worry and people ignoring my concerns are not helping me . our store has the worst face mask wearing ive seen and other stores have near enough 100per cent compliance with colleagues , I could just go off with stress and get paid ssp but im not sure that will actually achieve the desired response .... nothing will  happen just as nothing is happening now ..... and I will suffer a massive loss of income ... 

what to do ....?  and where to go  from here ? I think my workplace should at least be taking the things ive mentioned seriously ... 

anyone knowledgable about workplace safety ? im not a member of a union unfortunately ....and if i did join I dont think i could use them for 3 months 

Edited by crazyfool1

35 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

ok so ive been feeling a bit low , especially the last couple of days with the Glastonbury announcement ... although that just topped off my frustrations really ... ive sought advice from a few others out of  the forum and they have been helpful in calming me down ... ( thanks to my mum and @vintagelaureate but the reason for this post is that im posting to see if anyone has any words of wisdom that might be of help to me going forward .

The main reason is that I dont feel at all safe in my workplace and have been sold  my return based on it being safe and that measures are in place for my safety ..... which were removed within a short time of me going back ... or quite simply they are not being enforced in any way whatsoever .... so for example social distancing ... today it was clear that some new colleagues should have been wearing facemasks when being trained at close quarters by other colleagues also not wearing facemasks using handheld pdas .... I went to my manager and requested that this happen and was told that they were adhering  to social distancing ... which one of you can read a mobile phone screen from 2m ? because that would be the case if they were !!

2weeks ago I wrote a letter to the store manager outlining my concerns about safety and some of the things I mentioned would be very simple to implement ... such as opening the windows to aid ventilation in our colleague changing rooms ..... but this was the 4th time ive asked for this to happen and still it hasn't 

ive had a meeting with the store manager who produced my screwed up letter from his pocket  , emailed head office twice with no response , had a meeting with my department manager who when i asked  if he was taking notes 1 month ago  said he would write them on his mobile phone .... I dont think he recorded anything .... 

I dont know where to  go from here .... I dont  want to  be posting again when the store has had an outbreak or worse ... perhaps we won't get anything but im  not having someone becoming ill on my conscience .... just not sure where to go with it .... its making me feel really shit with worry and people ignoring my concerns are not helping me . our store has the worst face mask wearing ive seen and other stores have near enough 100per cent compliance with colleagues , I could just go off with stress and get paid ssp but im not sure that will actually achieve the desired response .... nothing will  happen just as nothing is happening now ..... and I will suffer a massive loss of income ... 

what to do ....?  and where to go  from here ? I think my workplace should at least be taking the things ive mentioned seriously ... 

anyone knowledgable about workplace safety ? im not a member of a union unfortunately ....and if i did join I dont think i could use them for 3 months 

Have you thought about looking for another job? Maybe something not customer facing at all? I know some warehouses for example have been a lot stricter with the covid stuff. Even if it was just a temporary job to tide you over for a bit while you look for something else. I don't think it's worth the stress it's obviously causing you to be honest. Going to make you ill.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Have you thought about looking for another job? Maybe something not customer facing at all? I know some warehouses for example have been a lot stricter with the covid stuff. Even if it was just a temporary job to tide you over for a bit while you look for something else. I don't think it's worth the stress it's obviously causing you to be honest. Going to make you ill.

certainly something ive considered .... although ive been considering it and ruling it out for 24 years because ive been clueless about a change of direction .... and at the moment job seems secure but not safe and timing not so great .... ive minimal qualifications .... i definitely agree on the stress thing ... its amazing how different the same company is 20 mins or so in either direction .... id consider a transfer of stores if it was financially viable ... 

13 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

oh and thanks 

No worries. To be honest I don't think it's the time to consider a big change of career or a dream job. Just about finding somewhere you can work even temporarily without feeling stressed and scared every day. You're not being unreasonable at all - I was in a supermarket today only for 10 minutes and felt really uncomfortable about the lack of distancing and low mask uptake.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

No worries. To be honest I don't think it's the time to consider a big change of career or a dream job. Just about finding somewhere you can work even temporarily without feeling stressed and scared every day. You're not being unreasonable at all - I was in a supermarket today only for 10 minutes and felt really uncomfortable about the lack of distancing and low mask uptake.

its only minimum wage so anything will equal it ... in terms of finances ... I really dont want to be the one who's complaining all the time ... its just so damn important . we have been so fortunate so far to have no confirmed cases amongst 400 employees ... but now vulnerable colleagues are back it will become more obvious should we get any cases 

Crazyfool1 sometimes you have to just look after yourself and do what you need to do to keep yourself safe!! 
I find something tht helps is self talking and telling myself I’m only responsible for myself and the steps I can do as part of something much bigger!! Sometimes the bigger picture is too big take on and can cause more upset to yourself! 
it may be worth taking some time off to re-evaluate things! Job wise you are likely to have a lot of skills tht are transferable!! 
take some time to look after yourself! Have you involved occupational health at all! They can be really helpful! 

2 minutes ago, funkychick2007 said:

Crazyfool1 sometimes you have to just look after yourself and do what you need to do to keep yourself safe!! 
I find something tht helps is self talking and telling myself I’m only responsible for myself and the steps I can do as part of something much bigger!! Sometimes the bigger picture is too big take on and can cause more upset to yourself! 
it may be worth taking some time off to re-evaluate things! Job wise you are likely to have a lot of skills tht are transferable!! 
take some time to look after yourself! Have you involved occupational health at all! They can be really helpful! 

ive not ... you are very right but unfortunately I cant get past the unsafe surroundings so some of that they need to help with ... and thats the simple things they can do for me .... ive only had one dealing with occupational health in the past and felt that they were very much not acting in my interests .... im not sure how they work really maybe you can enlighten me further 

1 minute ago, Big durbs said:

Hey buddy , have you thought about asking for a transfer to the distribution warehouse for your company, if I remember correctly for your shop that’s in Bridgwater so a quick trip up the motorway , I’m sure they have much more stringent rules in place , even if it’s just temporary.

but most importantly you have to look after YOU and feel safe in your place of work.

nah its bristol unfortunately ... morrisons distribution is bridgwater