When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

14 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’ve just realised, it’s Eid today, but wasn’t it Eid at the end of July last year when the NW got locally locked down? Do they change the date of it every year? 

Yes, I think it's based on the lunar calendar or something, so it moves every year.

Edit: I think it was in May last year, and there was a different Eid in July, but they do move.

Edited by Simsy

Makes total sense to push some vaccine that way … in the scheme of things it’s not going to make a huge difference to the national picture anyway … the distribution will get pushed away from this area once they are done … and it’s not a huge amount of time untill the whole adult population should have been offered the jab anyway … even without a lockdown it will help in 2-3 weeks … but dont piss about any longer 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

If (as seems the case according to those in the know scientifically) the variant causing this panic doesn’t reduce the efficacy of our current crop of vaccines does the worry of the overall effect it will have reduce immensely?

I mean it won’t have the knock on effect of over burdening the NHS or ultimately great numbers of deaths will it?

I guess the worry is because higher transmissibility = higher R = higher herd immunity threshold. The original plan would have been modelled around the R of the kent variant, so if we’re not careful and we blindly stick to the dates we could end up in a similar situation to Chile.

Basically the virus has probably moved the goal posts a bit.

45 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Surely in order for a speedy vaccination programme of the younger generation in these areas to work effectively it needs to be accompanied by a lockdown in those areas to contain its spread out to other areas?

Otherwise its a bit like sticking a plaster on an axe wound.

Yeah, possibly...not sure they want to go down the local lockdown thing again...but maybe they will have to. There's a lot of it in London too apparently.

45 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’ve just realised, it’s Eid today, but wasn’t it Eid at the end of July last year when the NW got locally locked down? Do they change the date of it every year? 

Yes, it's based on lunar cycles. Fasting for Ramadan is really easy when it's in December. Very, very difficult when it's in June!

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day, so who knows.

However, it’s a weird mindset to be this much of an angry mess over the idea that the plebs might be allowed to mingle indoors. I’m fed up of these morons trying to tell everyone what they can and can’t do. 

I dont think this is one of those times.... She cant even read the 4th criteria for unlocking properly. 

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.02.27.433180v1

There are clearly some very vulnerable and anxious people on Twitter following the likes of Pagel etc. Just seen a comment from a man in his forties replying to her latest thread stating that he was self employed and ‘doesn’t know if he can survive another lockdown’. What if he was to take her thread too literally - who knows what he might do or actions he may take? 
Its a very dangerous game to be playing, and she and her IndySAGE members should see past their own little bubble, and consider what impact their fear-mongering, doom and gloom words could have on some people who are at breaking point. 

• Upvote 5

The most frustrating thing about the Indian variant business is that it was all entirely foreseeable but, once again, our government failed to respond early enough.

So many of us have put our lives on hold to buy the government time to get things right and yet they continue to repeat past mistakes.

Even among the more cautious of us, the patience for delaying the roadmap because of the government's failure to act in time in relation to the Indian variant is close to zero whatever the science says.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

The most frustrating thing about the Indian variant business is that it was all entirely foreseeable but, once again, our government failed to respond early enough.

So many of us have put our lives on hold to buy the government time to get things right and yet they continue to repeat past mistakes.

Even among the more cautious of us, the patience for delaying the roadmap because of the government's failure to act in time in relation to the Indian variant is close to zero whatever the science says.

They should have listened to Pagel.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

They should have listened to Pagel.

We should have stayed locked down and kept the kids off school? 😄 

They should have banned incoming travel from india and pakistan completely, that would have helped. Dont need any 'variant' of SAGE to tell us that 🙂 

5 minutes ago, Havors said:

We should have stayed locked down and kept the kids off school? 😄 

They should have banned incoming travel from india and pakistan completely, that would have helped. Dont need any 'variant' of SAGE to tell us that 🙂 

Did she say that? She was just worried about cases going up when schools opened, as many people were.

Of the outcomes possible with a new variant we'd (and I include govt in this) take a higher transmission rate over an increased chance of serious illness, mortality or a variant which evades the protection vaccines offer wouldn't we?

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Did she say that? She was just worried about cases going up when schools opened, as many people were.

She insisted there would definitely be a spike when all classes returned at the same time, including fancy charts and forecasts to back up her claims. She demanded it was to be gradual or we would be back to where we were again. And the reality was that she couldn’t have been more wrong. 

Edited by st dan
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Of the outcomes possible with a new variant we'd (and I include govt in this) take a higher transmission rate over an increased chance of serious illness, mortality or a variant which evades the protection vaccines offer wouldn't we?

Higher transmission leads to more variant issues though doesn’t it ? And the increased numbers will lead to it infecting those who the vaccine doesn’t work for …