When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/lockdown-end-delay-21-june-indian-variant-covid-spike-fears-999025
‘Officials are “anxious” about the worrying spread of the Indian variant and a delay to lifting all lockdown restrictions is not ruled out, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said.’

I’m not sure if this has been shared but echos what a couple of people were saying earlier. 

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Full quote

• Johnson said it was too soon to say whether masks and social distancing would be able to be abandoned in June. Asked if these measures were going, Johnson said:

I think we have to wait a little bit longer to see how the data is looking but I am cautiously optimistic about that and provided this Indian variant doesn’t take off in the way some people fear, I think certainly things could get back much, much closer to normality.

Yeah, it’s been what he’s said all along really that we have to see how things go over the next few weeks but if cases of this variant do rise by much then they might have to make a decision. Which is fair enough, it’s wise to wait and see then make an informed decision from there. 

Bojo

If we have to do other things, then of course the public would want us to rule nothing out. We have always been clear we would be led by the data. At the moment, I can see nothing that dissuades me from thinking we will be able to go ahead on Monday and indeed on 21 June, everywhere, but there may be things we have to do locally and we will not hesitate to do them if that is the advice we get.

Johnson said more announcements on masks and social distancing would be made before June, according to PA Media.

44 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Nah, just a few of us think until everyone is vaccinated. So we're not in the position of forcing people to take risks they don't want to (and that other people won't have had to take). If it were just a matter of personal choice, I'd agree with you - but re-opening places means people going back into work... and yeah, a 30-year old unvaccinated bartender is at greater risk than a vaccinated 40-year old drinker. 

No we wait until everyone over 18 is done with a first dose + 3 weeks as that provides the majority of the protection. And puts everyone on a level playing field.

23 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

Do yourself a favour, find a quiet room with no distractions. Sit down and look at page 3 of this document. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/984820/2021-05-10_COVID-19_Press_Conference_Slides__for_publication_.pdf

Don’t come out of the room until the information has really cemented itself in your head. 

I actually agree with both of you weirdly.  the slides in that pdf inform my own perception of risk but there are also people my age and younger who are more concerned and, as has been pointed out, being asked to take on a perceived risk to work 

I think now that we're almost at the age groups where risk is pretty negligible and similar, that those who want or need it should have the chance to get it first. It makes no difference to me whether I have it now or in July to be honest, I won't be doing anything indoors for the foreseeable as I don't need to, and prefer sitting outside at the pub at this time of year anyway (I spend so much time sitting in at a laptop I prefer the fresh air!) but there might be many terrified 20somethings who are anxious and stressed going into work in a bar every day for example, who's risk is also tiny but they won't accept that.  That person is also more likely to spread it. 

This surge vaccination will have the benefit of getting the vaccines to those who are more likely to catch and spread it, instead of many who are comfortably working from home. I think this could help come June 21st beyond the variant issue. It gives a bit more flexibility to the rollout which can only be a good thing in those areas 

31 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

True but if as it's been mentioned many times that as a country "we're all in it together" then I'd hope those who live in the areas with high rates will accept and understand why doing so to protect the majority is playing their part.

nah, bollocks.

6 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Stevie, rather than say things like this and look like an absolute weapon why don't you actually elaborate?

Because he’s a troll. Look at his posts, 90% are 3 or 4 word replies or quips that add nothing at all to any discussions. 

Surge vaccinating seems a good idea now we are down in the under-40s groups. Definitely makes sense for people in public-facing jobs to have the option to get jabbed ahead of those working from home if they can and want to.

Jesus this thread today, though. So much panic about things being delayed when that is just not what is being said elsewhere. Stop looking for things on Twitter to be angry about! The May 17 step is going ahead and the government hope to go ahead with the June 21 step, subject to data, which has always been the case.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BobWillis2 said:

Do yourself a favour, find a quiet room with no distractions. Sit down and look at page 3 of this document. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/984820/2021-05-10_COVID-19_Press_Conference_Slides__for_publication_.pdf

Don’t come out of the room until the information has really cemented itself in your head. 

Mate - I don't if I don't die. I don't want to get COVID. It's horrible. I've seen what it does to people who come out the other end. Don't want to do that. It's not worth it to go to the pub 3 weeks earlier to me. "You won't die" is not the slam dunk argument you think it.

I'm sort of hoping it kills you at this point though you condescendinging prick.

• Downvote 9

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Mate - I don't if I don't die. I don't want to get COVID. It's horrible. I've seen what it does to people who come out the other end. Don't want to do that. It's not worth it to go to the pub 3 weeks earlier to me. "You won't die" is not the slam dunk argument you think it.

I'm sort of hoping it kills you at this point though you condescendinging prick.

How lovely

2 minutes ago, Havors said:

When will the stop fixating on existing antibodies and ignoring T Cell responses?

am I right that they can know about antibodies from vaccines from lab results...but not so easy to determine T-cell reponse in a lab, this is more a real world thing that takes time to collect actual data about.

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

disgraceful misspelling of condescending there.