When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

19 minutes ago, Havors said:

The problem is an inquiry will come to nothing other than ensure some policies are put in place in the event of another pandemic. Nobody will lose their job. 

Especially when they call an election for their ultimate power landslide before the results come out...

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This inquiry will go on past the next general election, right?

I saw it mentioned it could take a year or so from next spring, with an early year GE at the start of 2023. I wouldn't put it past them at all 

Though I also don't see the point- even if they were found to have created the virus they'd probably still be voted in...

Edited by efcfanwirral

Bog standard public inquiries take at least 2 years and considering how big this one will be it’s likely to take longer so as the next GE is currently May 24 it’s unlikely to be finished before.

The Tories are also in the process of repealing the Fixed Term Parliament Act which will give the PM the power to call a GE when he wants again, there’s talk at the moment we’ll have another GE in 2023 if all that happens. 

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Nerds rubbing their hands with glee about delaying the end of lockdown

local restrictions in Bolton and other places, let those areas have 18-39a get vaccinated. we shouldnt let a few 'sloppy shops' punish the rest of the country

Edited by zahidf

9 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Nerds rubbing their hands with glee about delaying the end of lockdown

local restrictions in Bolton and other places, let those areas have 18-39a get vaccinated. we shouldnt let a few 'sloppy shops' punish the rest of the country

Yes, of course the nerds will be pleased. 

Etc

German Charite Virology Guru Christian Drosten talked yesterday to television channel ZDF about the future including the Indian variant.

The virologist Christian Drosten believes in a "very" good summer. But he also says: Anyone who actively decides against a corona vaccination will inevitably become infected.

It is to be feared that the next wave of flu will be severe if one does not counteract this with vaccinations, said Drosten. The background is that the influenza wave failed in the past autumn and winter in Germany, but also in other countries - also because of the measures taken against the pandemic.

The Indian Corona variant, which is now classified by Great Britain and the World Health Organization (WHO) as worrying, currently has no particular advantage in Germany from Drosten's perspective. The population here is not as immunized as in Great Britain. The mutant is a little less affected by vaccination and immunity. According to the virologist, the prerequisites for the spread of such variants are likely to change in Germany as vaccination progresses towards autumn. It is not possible to predict which variant will then prevail or which will appear again.

The mutants then no longer brought a new pandemic, "but we will also be protected against these viruses in terms of symptoms," said Drosten. There will also be booster vaccines. The Indian virus has a little more fitness, but that doesn't mean at all that it poses a huge immediate threat to us.

Just now, Hannibal Schmitt said:

German Charite Virology Guru Christian Drosten talked yesterday to television channel ZDF about the future including the Indian variant.

The virologist Christian Drosten believes in a "very" good summer. But he also says: Anyone who actively decides against a corona vaccination will inevitably become infected.

It is to be feared that the next wave of flu will be severe if one does not counteract this with vaccinations, said Drosten. The background is that the influenza wave failed in the past autumn and winter in Germany, but also in other countries - also because of the measures taken against the pandemic.

The Indian Corona variant, which is now classified by Great Britain and the World Health Organization (WHO) as worrying, currently has no particular advantage in Germany from Drosten's perspective. The population here is not as immunized as in Great Britain. The mutant is a little less affected by vaccination and immunity. According to the virologist, the prerequisites for the spread of such variants are likely to change in Germany as vaccination progresses towards autumn. It is not possible to predict which variant will then prevail or which will appear again.

The mutants then no longer brought a new pandemic, "but we will also be protected against these viruses in terms of symptoms," said Drosten. There will also be booster vaccines. The Indian virus has a little more fitness, but that doesn't mean at all that it poses a huge immediate threat to us.

Yup. Speed up the jabs. Localised lockdowns to punish people in areas who refuse. Let the sensible people in areas with high vax areas not be punished 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Bog standard public inquiries take at least 2 years and considering how big this one will be it’s likely to take longer so as the next GE is currently May 24 it’s unlikely to be finished before.

The Tories are also in the process of repealing the Fixed Term Parliament Act which will give the PM the power to call a GE when he wants again, there’s talk at the moment we’ll have another GE in 2023 if all that happens. 

It’s farcical really, the Chilcot inquiry lasted 7 years, so any findings may well be irrelevant by the time they come out. 

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Yup. Speed up the jabs. Localised lockdowns to punish people in areas who refuse. Let the sensible people in areas with high vax areas not be punished 

Define localised lockdowns.

If i live in postcode M1 and you lock it down so shut pubs, restaurants and the like whats to stop me going to post code M12 10 minutes away for a pint and a scran?

This was happening when Greater Manchester was being unfairly treated by the goverment last year, some people (not me) were just travelling to cheshire or wherever for a night out.

It just wont work

5 minutes ago, Stretlow said:

If i live in postcode M1 and you lock it down so shut pubs, restaurants and the like whats to stop me going to post code M12 10 minutes away for a pint and a scran?

This was happening when Greater Manchester was being unfairly treated by the goverment last year, some people (not me) were just travelling to cheshire or wherever for a night out.

It just wont work

Some people may do this. Doesn’t mean the localised lockdown as a whole will be ineffective. 

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Seems a bit covid theatre to me...

I wouldn't underestimate just how much people have had enough either...

Yup. Hopefully the govt tells the timid boffins to do one and cracks on now we have so many people vaccinated.

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Some people may do this. Doesn’t mean the localised lockdown as a whole will be ineffective. 

Arent these communities supposed to be bringing these varients from thousands of miles away unchallenged? I just cant see any attempt to keep them in a certain area working, how would you police that?

im not saying im for or against by the way ive just seen this thrown about today and I just cant fathom how it would work.

Edit: and is probably the reason why the roadmap will go ahead as planned

Edited by Stretlow

1 minute ago, Stretlow said:

Arent these communities supposed to be bringing these varients from thousands of miles away unchallenged? I just cant see any attempt to keep them in a certain area working, how would you police that?

im not saying im for or against by the way ive just seen this thrown about today and I just cant fathom how it would work.

It's not about elimination but reduction. Most people will stick to their area and that should be enough to contain it until more people are jabbed

10 minutes ago, Stretlow said:

It just wont work

Here local Lockdowns have worked great, but I am not sure if similar would be possible in the UK as the geographic is totally different. Here certain villages always got or even get cut off the outside, but also this controlling by police forces has never been a 100 percent, but also always cases declined because of all these regional Lockdowns in these villages - but as stated correct it would be a massive problem in Greater Manchester.

But one is for sure and Drosten tries to remember that people have a certain responsibility towards themselves and towards society to get vaccinated - there are still anti-vaxxers who can influence the whole situation.

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

It's not about elimination but reduction. Most people will stick to their area and that should be enough to contain it until more people are jabbed

So you’re saying we need to seal off Greater Manchester and never let them out again?

I can live with that.