When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, Stretlow said:

Arent these communities supposed to be bringing these varients from thousands of miles away unchallenged? I just cant see any attempt to keep them in a certain area working, how would you police that?

im not saying im for or against by the way ive just seen this thrown about today and I just cant fathom how it would work.

Edit: and is probably the reason why the roadmap will go ahead as planned

Yeah, some people are so desperate for a night out that they’ll skirt the rules to go for one. There is no way to stop that outside of either a nationwide shutdown, or go full Wuhan and have the police and army enforcing the local shutdown. There is no appetite for either of the above.

The local shutdown will be effective as long as the majority of people don’t skirt the rules. There will be some non compliance as always. 

To be totally honest once Monday swings around with the relaxations that brings it wouldn’t massively bother me if what’s left on June 21st was delayed.

I’m not sure if that means I’ve been brainwashed in to a new normal 😂

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Fuck me, vaccines are good. Let's get them Boltonians jabbed quick sharp:

Would I be right in thinking that in reality the areas currently seeing big surges of this variant would need a localised lockdown as well as a focussed vaccination drive to sort the situation out?

One without the other is like taking a knife to a gun fight isn’t it?

4 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

To be totally honest once Monday swings around with the relaxations that brings it wouldn’t massively bother me if what’s left on June 21st was delayed.

Nah if the geeks had their way we'd be in this semi lockdown thing until next summer 'just in case'. Gotta put our foot down 

Edited by zahidf

You’d think the government could sell it quite easily (ish). Could be a guaranteed 4 week local lockdown, then most restrictions off. First week hastily vaccinating everyone, next 3 weeks waiting for immunity to kick in whilst also breaking transmission. Sorted. 

16 minutes ago, Mimo said:

You’d think the government could sell it quite easily (ish). Could be a guaranteed 4 week local lockdown, then most restrictions off. First week hastily vaccinating everyone, next 3 weeks waiting for immunity to kick in whilst also breaking transmission. Sorted. 

Damage will already be done if they wait til after Monday when they all start going out in Manchester etc  

To be honest the only answer if the variants are indeed a concern is to extend the roadmap

One thing is almost for certain here - festivals won't be permitted now. Probably wasn't ever going to happen but with this issue, I'd be amazed if they let people gather in those numbers even with tests and vaccine proof 

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

Damage will already be done if they wait til after Monday when they all start going out in Manchester etc  

To be honest the only answer if the variants are indeed a concern is to extend the roadmap

One thing is almost for certain here - festivals won't be permitted now. Probably wasn't ever going to happen but with this issue, I'd be amazed if they let people gather in those numbers even with tests and vaccine proof 

That's a massive leap. 

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

That's a massive leap. 

If sage are remotely concerned, they won't be approving anything like that til they have the data about the variant, and that won't come quickly enough to deal with the insurance issue. Maybe a few later ones could slip through but there's no guarantees there

32 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I'm calling it - the June stage will be delayed. Probably not very long, maybe another five weeks.

8 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

If sage are remotely concerned, they won't be approving anything like that til they have the data about the variant, and that won't come quickly enough to deal with the insurance issue. Maybe a few later ones could slip through but there's no guarantees there

It's not up to SAGE. But let's see. I think local lockdowns are a lot more likely.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

What do you want to do that we can't from next week?  I've lost track, the biggie is about to happen.

Pubs no restrictions … I’ve a 2 week session planned 🙂 and I’ve got some t20 cricket on the 28th … which will get numbers restricted 

Van-Tam (I think it was him) said there’d be bumps in the road and this looks like being one of them, but it feels like a reasonable scenario that it might only delay opening things up until all the first doses are done alongside all second doses for over 50s. We’ll still reopen everything, just perhaps a little slower. Most big events have been stacked to the end of summer anyway in case something like this came along.

I suppose there is a strong argument that the roadmap should always have been for a full reopening 3 weeks after the full adult population have been offered a vaccine .. whenever that may be. 

Edited by st dan
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What do you want to do that we can't from next week?  I've lost track, the biggie is about to happen.

Night clubs, house parties with more than 6 people, mass events. There are plenty things which don't open up till stage 4