When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, august1 said:

second dose April enters its 7th week

I guess realistically it was always going to be 10 - 12 weeks of second doses. But this should mean they’ll be able to rally through the first doses in a few weeks time. 

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

How can you take that graphic seriously when it’s trying to make a link between COVID rates / WFH using data from a survey asking about pre COVID WFH arrangements? 😂

I guess would be even more so now. Weren't the outbreaks last summer linked to meat or clothing factories. Maybe similar again...some places if open just can't do the work from home thing at all.

2 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

I think he maybe means the modellers have got it so drastically wrong previously (by way underestimating how good these vaccines are) that they are now scrambling to revise these predictions so they looks more right when this is all over. 

Or, in the immortal words of the dude...new shit has come to light, man. 

We didn’t know what impact the vaccines would have on onward transmission (there was a hint in the OX trial, but no hard data). Now we have strong data on their impact (way better than anyone dared to hope), models don’t need to make these assumptions anymore, so can be improved with the new, more accurate data and so they look better (it’s still good news!)...

edit: I should say though that I agree that there are some in the scientific community that appear to be relishing their day in the sun (but they are human, I’m sure they as sick of this as everyone else...I’ve had more than enough of it!)...

Edited by Toilet Duck
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

How can you take that graphic seriously when it’s trying to make a link between COVID rates / WFH using data from a survey asking about pre COVID WFH arrangements? 😂

You can extrapolate out from this, the people WFH before the pandemic are unlikely to be going to a workplace in the pandemic.

3 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

All about hospitalisations now anyway.

Cases WILL go up in the near future - 100%.

And deaths. Talking of which, there have been none in Greater Manchester for the last two days:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/no-new-coronavirus-deaths-recorded-20574576

51 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

@JoeyT have u seen the rising numbers in sedgemoor ? What would you put that down to ? My guess would be more deprevation and factories ? Maybe even Hinckley point ? And the working quarters in Bridgwater ? 

Sedgemoor added 1 case today?

Either way using data from a pre-COVID dataset (data of which has changed significantly due to government wfh advice) against current COVID rates just doesn’t seem a great way of doing things?

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

cases will go up ? apart from in Israel when they opened ? or were they further ahead with jabs ? 

I think they were a good chunk further ahead with people being fully vaccinated. I doubt there will be a big rise and if we start picking up with first doses more it’ll die down soon I’d hope 

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

I think they were a good chunk further ahead with people being fully vaccinated. I doubt there will be a big rise and if we start picking up with first doses more it’ll die down soon I’d hope 

cool ... fingers crossed 

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

cases will go up ? apart from in Israel when they opened ? or were they further ahead with jabs ? 

Pretty sure Israel had a period where cases rose a bit after they opened up. They then started to drop again and have continued ever since.

Let’s hope we follow the same pattern.

43 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Pretty sure Israel had a period where cases rose a bit after they opened up. They then started to drop again and have continued ever since.

Let’s hope we follow the same pattern.

Also I'm sure Israel isn't doing as much "regular" testing as we are so less likely to pick up asymptomatic infections in vaccinated people

41 minutes ago, Havors said:

Where does he get his work from home data from? Nobody has ever asked me if i work from home? 

No one's ever asked my cat whether it prefers Whiskas, and yet somehow they know that 8 out of 10 cats do. How do they do it? Conspiracy? Must be

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Also I'm sure Israel isn't doing as much "regular" testing as we are so less likely to pick up asymptomatic infections in vaccinated people

Plus they opened up with a lot less % with first doses with their smaller window between first and second, so they did pretty well considering that 

1 hour ago, Havors said:

Where does he get his work from home data from? Nobody has ever asked me if i work from home? 

I think there is a few questions about it in the labour force survey that the ONS do. 

But that is from another ONS survey - the do loads. 

Edited by RobertProsineckisLighter

Pfizer Inc has formally asked the UK medical regulator for permission to use its Covid-19 vaccine for 12- to 15-year-olds in Britain, the Telegraph has reported.

The report, citing a Pfizer spokesman, said:

We can confirm that the companies have submitted a request to the MHRA to expand the use of the Pfizer/BioNTech Covid vaccine in the UK to adolescents.