When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

can someone please enlighten me where we have followed fake sage over real sage during the pandemic so far ? 

Tbf proper SAGE member Dame 'checking the size of wine glasses during a pandemic ' also said something stupid about not shouting during the footie matches. And we've had a go and the nutter anti vaxxers as well. It's not just fake SAGE who's being attacked on here 

Edited by zahidf

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Tbf proper SAGE member Dame 'checking the size of wine glasses during a pandemic ' also said something stupid about not shouting during the footie matches. And we've had a go and the nutter anti vaxxers as well. It's not just fake SAGE who's being attacked on here 

I was meaning the Govt ... not the efest members 🙂 

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

can someone please enlighten me where we have followed fake sage over real sage during the pandemic so far ? 

Isn’t that the point? They’re completely irrelevant and need to stfu and stop trying to spread unnecessary fear and anxiety. 

Just now, BobWillis2 said:

Isn’t that the point? They’re completely irrelevant and need to stfu and stop trying to spread unnecessary fear and anxiety. 

no the point is that if they haven't influenced anything we have nothing to be concerned about .... life has many people that we are able to just ignore ... it only becomes an issue when things actually happen to influence our lives .... at that point I might take notice ..... but until that point we are saying .... what if .... about them saying what if

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Worth remembering that Independent SAGE were generally right in Autumn. They're not ill-informed mad people, they're just particularly cautious. 

I don't agree with them, but nor do I agree with calling them fake, or making cracks about the human race dying out if people don't go to raves.

They are fear mongering at the moment and should be called out

I also call then fake SAGE because that by calling themselves independent SAGE, they are trying to confuse things.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

All these stupid scientists saying stupid things. Fuck'em. What do they know anyway? They need to get out more the sad nerdy dweebs.

Should get a ticket to Liverpool and let their hair down

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

no the point is that if they haven't influenced anything we have nothing to be concerned about .... life has many people that we are able to just ignore ... it only becomes an issue when things actually happen to influence our lives .... at that point I might take notice ..... but until that point we are saying .... what if .... about them saying what if

I know what you’re saying and yes they have no direct bearing on any policy decisions govt make. 
That’s only half of the problem with fake sage though, you only have to look at the replies to their tweets to see the level of covid anxiety they help to spread. Perhaps that was justified to an extent at certain points of the pandemic but not any more, the pandemic finished weeks ago in this country. Yes it’s still about and yes of course we need to be vigilant going forward but there are people that hang on to their every word and are paralysed by the fear at a time that people with a platform and a voice should be helping to coax them back into society as we open up. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Is the point not that they’re trying to use their influence (however much they have) to stop pilots like this which means stopping things like glasto coming back?

14 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Ask em what they think about music festivals / Glastonbury. Will probably give you an argument that these events should probably never happen again.

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

They are fear mongering at the moment and should be called out

I also call then fake SAGE because that by calling themselves independent SAGE, they are trying to confuse things.

Exactly - they use the SAGE name because they want to be seen as credible.

If they were called something else I’d be less childish and insulting towards them, but I think it needs to be pointed out that they know exactly what they are doing.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

now you're being silly.

Potentially - perhaps exaggerating a bit - but they’ve definitely been focusing hard on the concept of mass gatherings / gatherings in tight spaces being considered dangerous, pushed as ‘lessons learned from the pandemic’.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Potentially - perhaps exaggerating a bit - but they’ve definitely been focusing hard on the concept of mass gatherings / gatherings in tight spaces being considered dangerous, pushed as ‘lessons learned from the pandemic’.

maybe at this early stage of opening up when not everyone is vaccinated and the virus is still rampaging in other parts of the world they're being a bit cautious about mass gatherings.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Ask em what they think about music festivals / Glastonbury. Will probably give you an argument that these events should probably never happen again.

They might say that … so might a lot of people who aren’t relevant … no examples yet of where they have influenced govt policy … I could also pick many other people who might say the same … all of whom I happily ignore … and yea I know the papers will print some of the more unrealistic versions for clicks … away from here I don’t know anyone who is influenced enough by this group of scientists for it to be a problem maybe some might be ?! 

Good

Nightclubs and bars have launched legal action against the Scottish government’s coronavirus restrictions, describing the curbs as “no longer justifiable or proportionate”.

The trade body Night Time Industries Association (NTIA) Scotland said it was mounting an attempt to end caps on venue numbers and limited opening hours. In Scotland, hospitality venues are currently allowed to serve customers alcoholic drinks outdoors only, while the limited return of indoor hospitality has come with an 8pm curfew.

Announcing the judicial review, the NTIA said:

The hospitality sector in general, and late-night sector in particular, has been driven to the edge of insolvency by the severe restrictions in place since the start of the pandemic.

Scottish government support has been wholly inadequate to compensate for operating losses and a majority of businesses have now incurred unsustainable debt as a result.

Even worse, all strategic framework funding has now ended while there is no end date for the restrictions that make these businesses commercially unviable.

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

maybe at this early stage of opening up when not everyone is vaccinated and the virus is still rampaging in other parts of the world they're being a bit cautious about mass gatherings.

That’s the whole point though. It’s a pilot event with lots of testing etc. The gov are being sensible with bringing it back