When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

Amusing that you can pay £1,500 to stay in a 5* hotel and you have to change your own bedsheets.

Knowing the UK government they will use Travelodges and still charge the same .. or any of their mates who have a hotel chain will be used.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

so... the UK govt are going to get away with being utterly shit about covid, aren't they? 😞 

They'll have fucked it up all the way thru, but will find salvation via a few much-too-late moves such as quarantining international arrivals and a super-quick vaccine roll-out.

Yep. And a large part of me thinks that the main purpose of quarantine is not to save lives but to a) deflect from 1,000 deaths/day by dominating news headlines and b) deflect from UK having its own variant by shifting the narrative to concerns about foreign variants.

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

Yep. And a large part of me thinks that the main purpose of quarantine is not to save lives but to a) deflect from 1,000 deaths/day by dominating news headlines and b) deflect from UK having its own variant by shifting the narrative to concerns about foreign variants.

yeah ... as well as allowing the tories to claim they've saved holidays when they end the quarantining.

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

what I've read previously is that the citizen can't pay the govt pays and the citizen has a debt with the govt.

Interesting. Can't see that happening in the UK to be honest. 

They don't charge for detention of immigrants whilst awaiting decision on asylum etc, but will charge UK citizens.

So come back over on a dingy to avoid paying is my top tip of the day 😋

How do we think this EU v AstraZeneca war is going to play out then?

There seems to be 2 things to the situation which I hope will become clear over the course of the day:

The 8% efficacy in over 65’s allegation from Germany...

Is AZ giving an unfair advantage to the UK and therefore breaking terms of the agreement it has with the EU?

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

so... the UK govt are going to get away with being utterly shit about covid, aren't they? 😞 

They'll have fucked it up all the way thru, but will find salvation via a few much-too-late moves such as quarantining international arrivals and a super-quick vaccine roll-out.

Spot on. It's the Tory way. Then Boris will be soon gone and we will end up with Patel or Sunak to lead 

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yeah ... as well as allowing the tories to claim they've saved holidays when they end the quarantining.

This. They’ll probably lift it *just* in time for the school holidays. Big feel good factor.

And yes, they’ll get away with it.

4 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

How do we think this EU v AstraZeneca war is going to play out then?

There seems to be 2 things to the situation which I hope will become clear over the course of the day:

The 8% efficacy in over 65’s allegation from Germany...

Is AZ giving an unfair advantage to the UK and therefore breaking terms of the agreement it has with the EU?

Maybe I’m missing something with the 8% thing but how can it possibly correct? Isn’t that exactly what the trials do and if that were the case it just wouldn’t be in use? 

Perhaps I’m being too simplistic but seems like nonsense and will just fall away. I haven’t seen it on any of the major news platforms this morning - if I didn’t read this thread I probably wouldn’t even be aware of it. 

21 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Cheers, I guess having no income is easy to prove. 

Who bills you then? The government or the hotel, and what was the estimated total cost if you don't mind me asking?

To be honset I'm not clear, when I arrived I was taken from the aiport via a bus straight to a quarantine hotel - met oustide by military staff and it was all pretty preofessional.

I then spent 2 weeks inside a room, no leaving the room or anything and all of my meals were brought to me. 

The government are paying the hotels at the moment and the government then charges the people.

19 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yes, expect so...and a lot of people will just want to move on. But, there will be an economic fallout from this, so have to see how govt deals with that. Levelling up will a lot more difficult now.

2 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Be interesting what the people are rioting about. Someone needs to get on the ground and get a closer understanding of the frustation...

Aren't they having their first proper lockdown now as avoided anything too draconian last year? And the Dutch love their freedoms.

Edited by steviewevie

9 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

They don't charge for detention of immigrants whilst awaiting decision on asylum etc, but will charge UK citizens.

you're not comparing like with like.

The immigrants who arrive here and claim asylum are the responsibility of the whole of the UK to pay for.

Your choice to go on holiday in the middle of a global pandemic is not my responsibility to pay for.

You're coming across as an over-entitled arse, Paul. Yes, I realise it's a shit for you, but these are the consequences of your own choices, while you've known since last April that all options were possibilities in a global pandemic.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Aren't they having their first proper lockdown now as avoided anything too draconian last year? And the Dutch love their freedoms.

I'm sick of all these fucking libertarians to be honest, they all need a whipping.

The only way this species is going to survive is via more draconian methods.

Edited by MrBarry465

12 minutes ago, Chef said:

Maybe I’m missing something with the 8% thing but how can it possibly correct? Isn’t that exactly what the trials do and if that were the case it just wouldn’t be in use? 

Perhaps I’m being too simplistic but seems like nonsense and will just fall away. I haven’t seen it on any of the major news platforms this morning - if I didn’t read this thread I probably wouldn’t even be aware of it. 

Yeaj the major news people are keeping well away from it until there's scientific evidence of it rather than off the record political sources 

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

you're not comparing like with like.

The immigrants who arrive here and claim asylum are the responsibility of the whole of the UK to pay for.

Your choice to go on holiday in the middle of a global pandemic is not my responsibility to pay for.

You're coming across as an over-entitled arse, Paul. Yes, I realise it's a shit for you, but these are the consequences of your own choices, while you've known since last April that all options were possibilities in a global pandemic.

My post wasn't serious hence the 😋 at the bit you selectively missed out.

Of course am fully aware of the situation, but we will see what's announced as I reckon there wont be a blanket ban and there will be exemptions.

Oh and I really don't give a fuck what you think of me either. Cheers.