When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

So my mum just text our family group to say my dad has his vaccination booked for this Thursday, fantastic news everyone says, he’s mid seventies but has had a a few heart operations and heart attacks so also clinically vulnerable.

Then almost immediately afterwards my mum txt me separately to say she’s having to self isolate because her boss tested positive. She’s also mid seventies and completely inexplicably been going into work this whole time.

They’re the type that haven’t really listed to any of the rules because they prefer just to live their lives and whatever happens happens.

I can believe the absolute twits have somehow made it to within two days of my dad getting his first Vax and they’ve more than likely both caught it just a few days before 😖

Hope all will be ok, sure it will be. My Mum had her first jag yesterday.

1 minute ago, MrBarry465 said:

Nobody is saying they will be closed forever, Australia nor New Zealand are saying that.

Economically both countries have been asbolutely fine as well, without international tourism. Economies can adjust.

The UK simply cannot adjust with a long-term quarantine policy. Its not realistic.

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

If you genuinely can’t make your appointment do you get put to the back of the queue? Having anxiety because I have an exam due to take place right around the time that my age group will probably be getting the first dose. 

Assuming at that stage it will be for you to call up and book a day/time that suits you rather that being contacted by your GP. 

14 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I don't think a month or two of quarantining (with no quarantine for hauliers plus other exemptions and possibly select quarantining only) will have much difference at this stage.

It’s not going to be “a month or two”

This is probably in place until at least autumn. They might change the exact breakdown of which countries are hotel quarantine vs self-isolate, but I don’t see the travel corridors coming back this summer. Matt Hancock was already suggesting that we should be looking at “staycations” this summer. 

4 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

It won't be long term, it will be for the duration of the vaccine rollout this year.

Possibly longer than that tbf. The idea is to keep vaccine resistant strains out, so that’s nothing to do with our own vaccination programme. I could see a scenario once half or more of the population are vaccinated that we have relative normality in the UK but basically no international travel. 

We can start travelling again in like 2023 when other countries get around to vaccinating people. 

Edited by Fuzzy Afro

13 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

thing is, if that's a problem now it's a problem for eternity (unless covid is totally eliminated, which it won't be).

So will we be keeping our borders closed forever? 

I think it might be a sensible temporary measure whilst so much remains unknown about these new variants. That said, it is way too late.

13 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

If indeed that is the case then it needs to be a blanket ban on both inbound and outbound passengers for a long long time.

But I suspect it's more about trying to take the blame off the government and the fact over 100k have now died 

Probably is some deflection tbf but everyone is praising NZ/ Aus for shutting their borders. 

Ultimately, if you go abroad during all this you are running a risk.

15 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Apologies that the story comes from the s*n but pretty damning on the Scottish government if true...

Really is not good enough up here. Good that most care home residents are done but it needs to pick up with over 80s pronto.  25 odd k is our peak so far in a day and it is not enough. Probs needs to double.

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

Really is not good enough up here. Good that most care home residents are done but it needs to pick up with over 80s pronto.  25 odd k is our peak so far in a day and it is not enough. Probs needs to double.

Care homes mostly done now has taken a long time due to how it is sadly.
Now all GP's are getting the over 80's done (my parents got done yesterday) along with more mass centres, I'd expect the daily numbers to increase massively from this week onwards. 
If not, then there is something seriously wrong, and yes should be about 50k a day. 

11 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Possibly longer than that tbf. The idea is to keep vaccine resistant strains out, so that’s nothing to do with our own vaccination programme. I could see a scenario once half or more of the population are vaccinated that we have relative normality in the UK but basically no international travel. 

We can start travelling again in like 2023 when other countries get around to vaccinating people. 

People just need to get over the travel aspect of things, it's about keeping people safe at this point. If England is able to get back to normal and one of the things whicha accelarates that is stricter border control - then tough.

Australians and New Zealanders love to travel, but it's likely they won't be leaving the country until 2022 either.

Edited by MrBarry465

6 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Australians and New Zealanders love to travel, but it's likely they won't be leaving the country until 2022 either.

Speaking to a friend in NZ who's meant to be getting married there next Spring has been told by a friend who works in NZ government that they're not expecting to open up again to foreign tourists until summer 2022. Small population but they're not going to start vaccinating until April. 

1 minute ago, topmarksbri said:

Speaking to a friend in NZ who's meant to be getting married there next Spring has been told by a friend who works in NZ government that they're not expecting to open up again to foreign tourists until summer 2022. Small population but they're not going to start vaccinating until April. 

Yeah same as Australia, I'm here at the moment - supposed to be flyinf back soon though. Australian government not letting people in or out (who are not nationals) until 2022 at the earliest.

Great for the local economy tourism though.

4 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

They’ve been so tough when it comes to restrictions that they’ll be going so slowly when they open up for tourists and rightfully so. They don’t want to ruin all of the good work they’ve put in. 

23 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

If you genuinely can’t make your appointment do you get put to the back of the queue? Having anxiety because I have an exam due to take place right around the time that my age group will probably be getting the first dose. 

It's not a case of "this is your time, be there".

While the specifics vary a bit by area, you'll either get a letter directing you to use an online booking system where you choose a specific location and time slot, or a phone call asking when you're available.

3 minutes ago, incident said:

It's not a case of "this is your time, be there".

While the specifics vary a bit by area, you'll either get a letter directing you to use an online booking system where you choose a specific location and time slot, or a phone call asking when you're available.

Maybe, but we benefit from international tourism and we’ve got some pretty huge airlines here that will be totally fucked by it as well!

Edit: sorry, somehow quoted you in error, ignore!

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton