When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

11 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Depends how you measure it. If you do Deaths per Capita were only in the top 10.

Out of 152

Obviously other countries may be underreporting but if you go by not the UK government's official Deaths number but the number from UK's statistical agencies (that gather info on Covid on the death certificate)

...we are in 2nd place out of 152.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

So if anything we had more time to prepare than the Australians did. 

YES. 

I also remember when we saw the horrific scenes coming out of Italy and Spain. 

I recall people acting as though they were basket case countries when it simply an advance warning of what was about to hit us and a golden opportunity to prepare that Italy and Spain were denied.

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

So if anything we had more time to prepare than the Australians did. 

Last time I checked were part of the continent of Europe. 

Covid might have been here and doing the rounds infecting people here longer than say Australia. If it was already here stealthy going about it's business there was already more virus here. 

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Obviously other countries may be underreporting but if you go by not the UK government's official Deaths number but the number from UK's statistical agencies (that gather info on Covid on the death certificate)

At risk of repeating myself, I’m not in any way saying the U.K. has done well. But as was posted above-is every Country reporting the same way?

4 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Last time I checked were part of the continent of Europe. 

Covid might have been here and doing the rounds infecting people here longer than say Australia. If it was already here stealthy going about it's business there was already more virus here. 

That's not true though.

We don't know the precise day but we have a reasonable estimate based on identified cases and scientific analysis

Covid arrived in Australia and UK at the same time - back in January.

And if anything you would expect it in Australia first given huge trade between the two (amazingly Australia exports more into China than it imports).

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Under reporting makes it sounds sinister. It might just be as a result of their own processes. 

We are almost certainly over reporting the number of deaths due to our nationally adopted measure - and that's fine. Until you then compare it to another country and draw conclusions.

Its like measuring the distance between Portsmouth and Glasgow, you can measure the exactly same line (on a map) one using a method taking into account the curvature of the earth the other not and you get two different distances. Both are correct. Both are valid.

1 minute ago, FestivalJamie said:

Updated vaccination chart. (UK has not updated since 27. December however).

Denmark moving very quickly now and Italy starting to increase the pace too.

68973415-6C09-49BB-A452-F3523B61A1C6.png

Daily figures coming as of Monday! Should keep things up to date. Will be good to watch it going ip every day I think.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

That's not true though.

We don't know the precise day but we have a reasonable estimate based on identified cases and scientific analysis

Covid arrived in Australia and UK at the same time - back in January.

And if anything you would expect it in Australia first given huge trade between the two (amazingly Australia exports more into China than it imports).

It’s likely that Australia given their location and trade with China will have had COVID before the UK. You can just look at trends in the data to see the UK was later in the pandemic to other countries, as such they would have had more time to prepare and get ahead before the first wave took off. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Under reporting makes it sounds sinister. It might just be as a result of their own processes. 

We are almost certainly over reporting the number of deaths due to our nationally adopted measure - and that's fine. Until you then compare it to another country and draw conclusions.

Its like measuring the distance between Portsmouth and Glasgow, you can measure the exactly same line (on a map) one using a method taking into account the curvature of the earth the other not and you get two different distances. Both are correct. Both are valid.

I didn't mean under reporting in a sinister way.

And the UK is not over reporting - the opposite is true. We are underreporting. How do we know? By looking at excess deaths.

On the other hand, I suspect that every country is underreporting. Some by more than others.

9 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I didn't mean under reporting in a sinister way.

And the UK is not over reporting - the opposite is true. We are underreporting. How do we know? By looking at excess deaths.

On the other hand, I suspect that every country is underreporting. Some by more than others.

You’re assuming all of the excess deaths are pandemic related. There are very many reasons why the country might have seen more deaths than the 5-year average. I appreciate a lot of those excess deaths are covid related but you can’t marry the two metrics. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

You’re assuming all of the excess deaths are pandemic related. There are very many reasons why the country might have seen more deaths than the 5-year average. I appreciate a lot of those excess deaths are covid related but you can’t marry the two metrics. 

covid or indirectly from covid ....... they are linked 

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

Doubt it. The vaccine guys must be due to go on strike soon. 

Imagine if builders did vaccines.

Any chance you could give me that jab you promised? It's been three times you haven't shown up now.

Nah, mate, I'm busy, tell you what I might be able to do next month for cash in hand but no promises.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

We'd be so fucked without that Oxford vaccine.

That's what I keep thinking, it's really, really scary thinking where we would be now had a vaccine ot yet been developed. Apocalyptic thought. Those scientists need to be really recognised when we get through this. Along with all the carers, hospital workers and other front line workers who are putting up with something that wasn't in any of those job descriptions when they joined their profession

46 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

In the UK you have 5 days to register a death plus another week or so in some circumstance I think it is. 

In France you have to register a death within 24 hours.

There is no purpose to this post other than its soemthing I've learnt today while waiting to piss in a pot which actually ended rather badly.

Hmm.....interesting nonetheless.  If you only have 5 days in most circumstances then it's *possible* that the 600 deaths on 28th December *may* not increase.  Considering restrictions and lockdown since then is there faint hope that, even for days since then, we may not reach the much higher numbers recorded in first 2 weeks of April?

46 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I remember when I flew to NZ thinking I was nearly there when I hit Australia ......... It went on for bloody hours 😞 

Glad I wasn't the only one who made this mistake! 😂 It must be some sort of optical illusion on the map or something

7 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

That's what I keep thinking, it's really, really scary thinking where we would be now had a vaccine ot yet been developed. Apocalyptic thought. Those scientists need to be really recognised when we get through this. Along with all the carers, hospital workers and other front line workers who are putting up with something that wasn't in any of those job descriptions when they joined their profession

we'd be following the Great Barrington Declaration. Would be awesome for all us young healthy people.

As far as I can understand, deaths is not the preferred metric of statisticians. Too prone to error.

We should instead be looking at excess mortality, which helps address those deaths that were underreported as well as deaths caused by policies related to Covid (e.g. cancelling cancer operations).

Not sure who is tracking this across countries but would be interesting to see.