When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, parsonjack said:

I was pondering today on why hospitals are reporting greater Covid occupancy with 40-50k positive cases per day than back in April with the estimated 100k/day.

It seems from reports on this that the unfortunate paradox of improved treatment and care for Covid is longer bed occupancy than back in April, where such patients would have previously lost their lives, and sadly vacated a bed for a new case ☹

Beggars belief therefore on why there are reports of Nightingale hospitals being decommissioned?

Not enough staff to man the hospitals. 

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

talk of a 2 week break from football in Premier league .... source Sky sports news  think they said feb 

As long as it limps on until I go back to worl, or I may have to go full bottle of vodka on your cornflakes due to terminal boredom.

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

talk of a 2 week break from football in Premier league .... source Sky sports news  think they said feb 

That's going to be really difficult to schedule in any sane way.

The season is already much more compressed because of the late start, they're already losing matches due to COVID postponements (and are likely to lose more), plus they've got a hard deadline on the finish because of the rescheduled Euro 2020.

They could end up with one of those situations where several teams end up with only 2 days gap between matches towards the end of the season which isn't good, especially if half the players are straight off to the Euros and so won't even get a rest.

4 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

I was pondering today on why hospitals are reporting greater Covid occupancy with 40-50k positive cases per day than back in April with the estimated 100k/day.

It seems from reports on this that the unfortunate paradox of improved treatment and care for Covid is longer bed occupancy than back in April, where such patients would have previously lost their lives, and sadly vacated a bed for a new case ☹

Beggars belief therefore on why there are reports of Nightingale hospitals being decommissioned?

A lady I used to work with was ill with Covid back in the spring - it's been suggested to her that if she was as poorly now as she was then she would be in hospital. How true that is I don't know but in the early days were we more sparing with hospital admission due to a dear of what was coming? 

Just now, incident said:

That's going to be really difficult to schedule in any sane way.

The season is already much more compressed because of the late start, they're already losing matches due to COVID postponements (and are likely to lose more), plus they've got a hard deadline on the finish because of the rescheduled Euro 2020.

They could end up with one of those situations where several teams end up with only 2 days gap between matches towards the end of the season which isn't good, especially if half the players are straight off to the Euros and so won't even get a rest.

indeed ...the muscular injuries are nuts even so far this season .... it was nothing confirmed at this stage , just chatter 

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Was there ever talk of the games being cancelled and points forfeited if it’s due to one team having a load of cases? I have in my mind that was a thing?

As long as clubs have 14 players they have to play. But that seems to have fallen by the wayside.

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Plus it’s winter?

That would account for greater occupancy overall yes, but it seems that there are more Covid beds occupied with less cases than in April (assuming the April estimates are correct that is).  Longer turnover due to treatment time rather than death is being quoted as a big factor....hence the paradox.  I want to feel this is a good thing, (how can less deaths not be a good thing?), but without the beds and resources needed to cater for it the pressure is simply escalating.

8 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Mandatory masks have barely made a dent in countries that implemented it, and transmission outside is low anyway. Curfews might be a shout but in most tiers there's nothing to do in the evenings now anyway.

Just shut the damn schools.

curfews prevent people going to other peoples houses in the evenings and definitely made a difference in France and Spain ... the fewer people that are mobile  the more obvious the ones that are become  .... schools definitely need to go now unfortunately but other things too ... this is ridiculous now 

edit ... see above post and who wears face masks outside amongst their measures 

Edited by crazyfool1