When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

We never saw any police stopping anyone round here (zone 2/3 London), but it seems to have varied a lot by area. Didn't see any police presence at all in lockdown 1, but I never walk more than 45 minutes away from my house really.

They had them on the main road between Doncaster and Barnsley as my mate kept getting stopped at 05:00 when he was redeployed to the bins, and they had them on some of the busier routes in town. 

Since the first lockdown when roads were dead the roads have got back to normal and I have no idea where people are going - are they all really going to the shops or the park?! 

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

We never saw any police stopping anyone round here (zone 2/3 London), but it seems to have varied a lot by area. Didn't see any police presence at all in lockdown 1, but I never walk more than 45 minutes away from my house really.

I had mounted police in my road .... and that was purely lockdown strategy 

Just now, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

They had them on the main road between Doncaster and Barnsley as my mate kept getting stopped at 05:00 when he was redeployed to the bins, and they had them on some of the busier routes in town. 

Since the first lockdown when roads were dead the roads have got back to normal and I have no idea where people are going - are they all really going to the shops or the park?! 

Yeah I agree that roads seem pretty bloody busy all the time round here. Non-essential shops are shut here too so it is a bit of a mystery! 

1 minute ago, Gingerfish79 said:

Supporting the deal only entrenches positions, and then when it goes wrong, and it will, Labour have nowhere to go and will have passed off all sides. They must abstain, or offer their MPs a free vote. 

Nah, that's bollocks.

As the opposition party, what Labour do only matters if there's a large enough Tory rebellion that the Labour votes are needed to pass it. In which case both parties are divided anyway.

As it's going to pass comfortably whatever Labour do, few will care or remember how Labour voted on it 4 years from now - it's still going to be a Tory deal for a Tory brexit negotiated and championed by a Tory PM & Government.

Anyway I'm still not sure any of these kind of curfew/exercise limiting measures will make much difference and can't see them being implemented. Hopefully the scary news about the NHS will inspire greater compliance with the existing rules. Otherwise we are pretty fucked. I guess schools are the big issue but can absolutely see an argument for keeping them open.

Just now, Homer said:

Yeah, I saw police checks in south east London. Police cars, vans and officers in Crystal Palace park (and in a smaller local one).

Possible they were here but just not whenever I was there, if you see what I mean.

Actually I have just remembered in June when we met a friend in the park in the evening that police were telling people to leave when it shut. But have never seen anyone being asked where they were going or anything.

12 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Wow. Weird that we didn't have anything in such a densely populated area!

easy to stop people when there is virtually no one to stop here are 2 photos of lockdown 1 and look how easy enforcement is .... that is the case in the major european cities once they imposed curfews .... it really does stop people going out and about unnecessarily ..... we forget how quiet things were ... the first is the M5 motorway towards Devon 

IMG_6537.jpeg

IMG_6299.jpeg

Edited by crazyfool1

1 minute ago, Gingerfish79 said:

I respectfully disagree. 

everytime Labour try to criticise the resulting impacts, the retort in parliament and in the media will be ‘you voted for the deal’. Why nail yourself to the mast when there is no need?

I think you're right. Johnson already does a lot of this at PMQs.

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah I agree that roads seem pretty bloody busy all the time round here. Non-essential shops are shut here too so it is a bit of a mystery! 

There is a good chance they are coming to a couple of houses in my street the number of visitors they seem to be having of late.

1 minute ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

There is a good chance they are coming to a couple of houses in my street the number of visitors they seem to be having of late.

Our neighbours have had visitors consistently throughout and still are. It's pretty annoying. In fact, even though I did do the clap, that was what annoyed me most about it: that the people who frequently broke all the rules were also the ones banging their pans the loudest.

7 minutes ago, funkychick2007 said:

We are given electronic letters via our work email and have to show our badge if we are stopped to show we are exempt from restrictions for work purposes!! 

I had a physical letter and an email in my old job for showing if we were stopped. Not everyone had the same letter, and not everyone had a letter. 

Some made reference you being front line staff. Others stated your job role and that its duties were critical roles in the support of the frontline staff. 

To be fair my old job organised that part really well.

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Our neighbours have had visitors consistently throughout and still are. It's pretty annoying. In fact, even though I did do the clap, that was what annoyed me most about it: that the people who frequently broke all the rules were also the ones banging their pans the loudest.

One of these households had people throughout the orgoank lockdown. Was then taken to hospital in an ambulance with Covid and is now exactly the same constant flow of family members. 

Its upto them what they do but their actions have consequences for others that's the bit that annoys me.

A mate from football, who is a really nice bloke, told me he's been going to lockdown parties. His 'logic' was that he's a teaching assistant and his wife's a nurse, so they're bound to catch it anyway.

My brother is a care worker, so he's gone the other way and has been living like a recluse. Can't help thinking that is the better approach!

5 minutes ago, Homer said:

A mate from football, who is a really nice bloke, told me he's been going to lockdown parties. His 'logic' was that he's a teaching assistant and his wife's a nurse, so they're bound to catch it anyway.

My brother is a care worker, so he's gone the other way and has been living like a recluse. Can't help thinking that is the better approach!

Yeah it is the better approach. The first guy whilst he might be fine with getting it, the person he might pass it on to might not be.

11 minutes ago, Homer said:

I understand the logic and I understand why people under a certain age are breaking the rules - it's of such little risk to them. 

I think once the tiers came into play and it wasn't us against the virus things changed people went from mostly complying to try and work out ways around the rules because others were somehow having more fun.