When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

I guess its only counter productive if it causes virus spread ..... some of the stadiums are massive and could easily accommodate some supporters I would think ... although it would have to be well managed .... I believe at the moment (things will probably change ) the plan is that we are no longer in lockdown in dec .... and this would happen in lower tier areas .... again its balancing things out ... risk / reward strategy 

As we’ve discussed though cases were rising as it was in the lower tiered regions and that’s without crowds in sporting events. I understand the risk v reward strategy but they literally stopped their last plan for crowds back a month ago and now are looking at another for next month. One day they say we are in for a tough few weeks, average cases are rising, we aren’t out of the woods yet etc then we see reports they want some fans back in stadiums next month. They can’t have it both ways.

What happens if we do come out of lockdown then cases start to rise again, which they probably will because they were before and nothing has been put in place?

Surely the idea should be to keep measures in place that keep transmission as low as possible through the winter whilst enabling some social interaction with loved ones; not having people back in sport stadiums. We’ll just be back where we were with people feeling unhappy we are heading for more restrictions.

Just now, Ozanne said:

As we’ve discussed though cases were rising as it was in the lower tiered regions and that’s without crowds in sporting events. I understand the risk v reward strategy but they literally stopped their last plan for crowds back a month ago and now are looking at another for next month. One day they say we are in for a tough few weeks, average cases are rising, we aren’t out of the woods yet etc then we see reports they want some fans back in stadiums next month. They can’t have it both ways.

What happens if we do come out of lockdown then cases start to rise again, which they probably will because they were before and nothing has been put in place?

Surely the idea should be to keep measures in place that keep transmission as low as possible through the winter whilst enabling some social interaction with loved ones; not having people back in sport stadiums. We’ll just be back where we were with people feeling unhappy we are heading for more restrictions.

we dont know this causes any transmission though because its not been tried  .... fans in huge stadiums virtually outside  in small numbers would be an absoute minimal risk in my opinion and especially if as @Homer mentioned they travelled from the local area ... isnt the best thing to open things up that have the tiniest risk  ? At what point did we try this out and decide that it caused issues .... we didnt !!! 

43 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

novel approach here ... but how about they shut the non food and clothing in supermarkets where it was open this time ... whilst letting the small businesses take their slice of the cake that they missed out on !!

Nice idea but without equivalent price points both retail sectors could suffer.  Independents can't compete with the big names on price so if someone on a budget can't get what they want in the supermarket they'll probably just go without, and everyone then loses.

1 minute ago, parsonjack said:

Nice idea but without equivalent price points both retail sectors could suffer.  Independents can't compete with the big names on price so if someone on a budget can't get what they want in the supermarket they'll probably just go without, and everyone then loses.

yep I can see that .. its kind of a dream idea at best ... I would hope anyone that needed to get the supermarket things got them now ... and the high street got the trade once we opened up again ... giving them the best of both worlds ... the high street seems safer to me with much better number restrictions in stores 

10 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

we dont know this causes any transmission though because its not been tried  .... fans in huge stadiums virtually outside  in small numbers would be an absoute minimal risk in my opinion and especially if as @Homer mentioned they travelled from the local area ... isnt the best thing to open things up that have the tiniest risk  ? At what point did we try this out and decide that it caused issues .... we didnt !!! 

People desperately want to see loved ones at Christmas, so doing this doesn’t make that anymore likely in fact the more things we open in the buildup the less likely it’ll be for people to be able to gather at Christmas. Why look at it for December, why not just wait see the impact of Christmas and go from there? That gives the best possible way for Christmas alone not to cause a large rise in cases.

It’s also impossible to manage if you just say that people only from that area can come to games. 

Yesterday Matt Hancock was talking about extending lockdown, the 10k fines etc and now this.

It’s an important stage of the virus and an important time of the year, we are at a stage that I don’t think we should be experimenting with ideas. We should be going very cautiously to prevent us heading back to where we are now.

Edited by Ozanne

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

People desperately want to see loved ones at Christmas, so doing this doesn’t make that anymore likely in fact the more things we open in the buildup the less likely it’ll be for people to be able to gather at Christmas. Why look at it for December, why not just wait see the impact of Christmas and go from there? That gives the best possible way for Christmas alone not to cause a large rise in cases.

It’s also impossible to manage if you just say that people only from that area can come to games. 

Yesterday Matt Hancock was talking about extending lockdown, the 10k fines etc and now this.

It’s an important stage of the virus and an important time of the year, we are at a stage that I don’t think we should be experimenting with ideas. We should be going very cautiously to prevent us heading back to where we are now.

Yeah, the time for trying things out was summer.  The hospitals are full and getting fuller, now's not the time.

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

how is it impossible to manage ? its not .... season ticket holders for example will have already registered with a postcode .... 

You can buy tickets to a game by paying someone to borrow their season ticket. Whilst they could ask for proof of address on entry, you’ve already travelled down from a higher tier area. Also people will just get round that I’m sure. It adds an extra element of risk at the worst possible time of the year to do so.

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, the time for trying things out was summer.  The hospitals are full and getting fuller, now's not the time.

Exactly. Even if cases start to fall that’s because of the work we’ve put in to do that. We are heading into winter and some hospitals are very full as it is. It’s an extra, unnecessary risk at this time of year. 

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/nov/17/prepare-for-a-low-key-christmas-england-covid-experts-warn?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Experts warning people to prepare for a low-key Christmas and as we have a vaccine on the horizon to possibly have the larger family gatherings in the summer. 

Tbh most people i know are going to have their normal xmas