When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think this is broadly what I'd expect. Things being slowly lifted in 3 week segments as long as numbers don't take off. 

The 12 week shielding period ends early June and i imagine it's only by then we'll hear about larger gatherings. 

13 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

when do we think Boris will make a return ? 

will he make a return?

This is the guy who shut down parliament for weeks off, won an election and went on holiday, came back and took 12 days off, and then went off sick. 

Next comes paternity leave, followed by the summer recess.

He definitely isn't going to make a return until the death rate he caused is lower. He likes to announce good news.

15 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Yep me too. I suppose when it comes down to it though you have to think horrific or less horrific. For most of the Key first world countries I don't think there are many leaders that are in any way inspiring. It's why the brief bits in the news about Jacinda Ardern always seem like a breath of fresh air. 

Interesting developments down there. The conservative opposition leader has tried to attack her, saying the lockdown is costing the economy. Backfired and his own supporters have been turning on him.

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

Interesting developments down there. The conservative opposition leader has tried to attack her, saying the lockdown is costing the economy. Backfired and his own supporters have been turning on him.

Maybe some countries could have an outbreak of common sense at this time. This whole thing is going to cost the world economy anyway so in the greater scheme they won't be any worse off. The idea of trying to keep the economy going whilst sacrificing people is going to surely backfire on politicians come election day. I know 3 people who have lost relatives to the pursuit of herd immunity. I know someone who self-isolated for 10 days and still felt awful so eventually got referred to a hospital and was put on a corona ward but still not tested. He was told he most likely has it but surely the testing policy should include people who require to go to hospital after 10 days with actual symptoms!! 

There is also the story that it has actually been around much longer in the first place. I had a really bad dry cough from November until just about the beginning of February. Thought it was just a cold but the cough really hung around and was like no other cough I have ever had. Will most of us ever know if we actually had it? 

Been trying not to play party politics but getting a tad frustrated now. Does anyone have any light on:

when do we get more PPE/what’s the hold-up?

when do we get more testing/what’s the hold-up?

do we still have people entering the country and not self-quarantining? If so, why?

Edited by Homer

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

Been trying not to play party politics but getting a tad frustrated now. Does anyone have any light on:

when do we get more PPE/what’s the hold-up?

when do we get more testing/what’s the hold-up?

do we still have people entering the country and not self-quarantining? If so, why?

Just from a nerdy point of view I look at planes live every now and then and there are still flights coming in, but at a tiny fraction of normal levels. I’d imagine most are just repatriations flights. This is live now; quite weird really if you imagine how busy this would be normally: 

CD243125-3D4B-4FBA-99DB-29544E18C2D4.png

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Is it untrue then that people are still entering and then ‘mingling’? (Have read this but genuinely don’t know the answer)

Flights are still happening just at an extremely low level, it appears they’re all just repatriation flights. It doesn’t look like they’re being quarantined as such.. but they should be by default anyway, as they should be going home and staying home, it’s not like they can go out to restaurants/bars etc.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-52319575

2 hours ago, Neil said:

will he make a return?

This is the guy who shut down parliament for weeks off, won an election and went on holiday, came back and took 12 days off, and then went off sick. 

Next comes paternity leave, followed by the summer recess.

He definitely isn't going to make a return until the death rate he caused is lower. He likes to announce good news.

Yep totally that’s why my thoughts were an appearance around the first lockdown lifting and then we can all celebrate and say what a hero he is again :) 

13 minutes ago, Homer said:

Is it untrue then that people are still entering and then ‘mingling’? (Have read this but genuinely don’t know the answer)

I came back to the UK on one of the repatriation flights from India. The gov advice was to follow the same rules as everyone else (only go out for essentials/exercise), but to self-isolate if you have any symptoms.

We've been trying to isolate as much as possible (even though we don't have symptoms), but we've still had to go out to buy food.

The repatriation flights included transport to the airport in India, but not from Heathrow, so I expect a lot of people had to get public transport or get someone to pick them up (all the repatriation flights from India went to Heathrow, even if someone flew out from Glasgow they'd just be dumped in Heathrow to make their own way home).

Incidentally, my husband went to his parents' house yesterday to borrow his dad's car (from a safe distance), his dad is shielding for 12 weeks so doesn't need it. While he stood at the end of the drive and got the keys thrown to him, his dad said "it's silly that we have to stand apart, I know you don't have it". No, you don't know he doesn't have it! FFS.

8 minutes ago, Simsy said:

I came back to the UK on one of the repatriation flights from India. The gov advice was to follow the same rules as everyone else (only go out for essentials/exercise), but to self-isolate if you have any symptoms.

We've been trying to isolate as much as possible (even though we don't have symptoms), but we've still had to go out to buy food.

The repatriation flights included transport to the airport in India, but not from Heathrow, so I expect a lot of people had to get public transport or get someone to pick them up (all the repatriation flights from India went to Heathrow, even if someone flew out from Glasgow they'd just be dumped in Heathrow to make their own way home).

Incidentally, my husband went to his parents' house yesterday to borrow his dad's car (from a safe distance), his dad is shielding for 12 weeks so doesn't need it. While he stood at the end of the drive and got the keys thrown to him, his dad said "it's silly that we have to stand apart, I know you don't have it". No, you don't know he doesn't have it! FFS.

To be fair, unless we were virus free, or coming out of lockdown and trying to control tourists bringing the virus in then I’m not sure what good any quarantine measures would really do at the moment while in a state of lockdown. Any flights coming in are either transiting through; cargo or repatriation. Anybody who has symptoms should be going straight home and self isolating, anybody who doesn’t should be going home anyway and following the same procedures as the rest of us, and just staying at home. I think quarantining anybody on an inbound flight, based on the numbers involved and what they should be doing anyway, would be largely pissing in the wind and making next to no difference in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

15 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Surely a conversation does need to be had about why things in Sweden are not comparatively worse than anywhere else, and In fact are a lot better than the places that locked down a lot sooner?

C0DAC3D2-7C6D-4FAB-AF24-1715BFDCDE9E.png

654DE7CC-320F-4FCE-B68D-EDF607C722AE.png

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

5 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Surely a conversation does need to be had about why things in Sweden are not comparatively worse than anywhere else, and In fact are a lot better than the places that locked down a lot sooner?

:yes::yes:

13 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

but then you look at Japan once it started opening up again ....although not imposed didnt I see that lots of things started being done voluntarily by the Swedish population so having a similar effect ...

17 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

C0DAC3D2-7C6D-4FAB-AF24-1715BFDCDE9E.png

654DE7CC-320F-4FCE-B68D-EDF607C722AE.png

I suppose a lot comes down to trust in politicians and experts and intelligence of the population. If people voluntarily agree to do social distancing etc then forced shutdown wouldn't be necessary. It also depends on if they are managing with early testing, isolating etc. As I have said I have a friend who was hospitalised after 10 days of self-isolation and he was still sent home without being tested. 

It will be very interesting to look at exactly who comes out of this best but I suspect some of it will only be able to be looked at properly in retrospect. I think in some countries lockdown may actually have promoted spread within households more quickly especially in countries where you have multi-generational households in relatively small properties. 

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

but then you look at Japan once it started opening up again ....although not imposed didnt I see that lots of things started being done voluntarily by the Swedish population so having a similar effect ...

I think it’s difficult to explain it away as cultural differences when you’ve got no real difference between Italy who went into full nationwide lockdown before anyone else, and Sweden where bars/restaurants schools etc are all still open.

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think it’s difficult to explain it away as cultural differences when you’ve got no real difference between Italy who went into full nationwide lockdown before anyone else, and Sweden where bars/restaurants schools etc are all still open.

my point was more to the effect that the swedes seem to be doing more of a self imposed lockdown .... im sure ive seen that those bars and restaurants are virtually empty anyway without the need for restrictions