When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

People in care homes are not as isolated as old people living at home alone. They get interaction with others. 

Even if the person living at home has a carer there are no gurentee's it will be the same carer. 

Not everyone lives round corner from their families to form support bubbles and the such with. 

Oh yeah I understand that, however those family members in care homes might not have had the chance to see family members through the pandemic which might be different to seeing other residents.

I think allowing people to see elderly residents in care homes is a good thing and will help quite a few people. But yes there are also people that this won’t help, hopefully measures will come in soon when it’s safe for those people too!

1 minute ago, Stokesy10 said:

My mom works in a care home. They'd had little to zero cases up until the last 2 months. The staff, plus residents have now all had their first vaccine. Since then their Covid cases went through the roof (including 3 deaths) to the extent that they had to call in agency cover. A conspiracists dream. Things have settled slightly but it's crazy how quickly it changed there, and sods law it was after the first vaccine.

Oh man that’s rotten luck! Hopefully everyone that COVID recovered?

Just now, Ozanne said:

Oh man that’s rotten luck! Hopefully everyone that COVID recovered?

Staff-wise they were fine but unfortunately some of the residents passed away. Between March 2020 and December 2020 they had 2 cases only and no deaths. Horrible. I hate her having to go into work but what can we do. Her second dose is April, I think. It's also tough as she's our childminder for 1 day a week (wife and I both in education/youth sector so still working).

16 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

It's a really tricky one - that so many of us are going to be wrestling with in the coming weeks.

My Dad is 70, and within a week it will be 3 weeks since his jab, which I understand is pretty much the point from which you have as much protection as you are going to get from the first dose.

He's very sociable, and understandably very, very low mentally at the moment as he cannot see anyone, nor does he really have anything to do with himself.

He wants to see his grandchildren, and we are moving rapidly towards a situation where realistically he is statistically very unlikely to be a danger to his grandchildren, nor them to him. Yet it seems the guidance will be nothing indoors for at least another couple of months or so?

What's the answer?

Up to you but if he's been vaccinated and you're being careful beforehand, a visit wouldn't be the wrong choice in that situation. 

2 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Staff-wise they were fine but unfortunately some of the residents passed away. Between March 2020 and December 2020 they had 2 cases only and no deaths. Horrible. I hate her having to go into work but what can we do. Her second dose is April, I think. It's also tough as she's our childminder for 1 day a week (wife and I both in education/youth sector so still working).

I’m really sorry to hear that, that’s awful all things considered. Those poor families.

She’s worked to the bone looking after your lil’un too! Hopefully everything goes smoothly and she gets her 2nd dose as planned. 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’m really sorry to hear that, that’s awful all things considered. Those poor families.

She’s worked to the bone looking after your lil’un too! Hopefully everything goes smoothly and she gets her 2nd dose as planned. 

Thank you 🙂 she's been very careful and lucky so far, all things considered. Hopefully it starts to level out/reduce in the coming days at her place.

19 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

It's a really tricky one - that so many of us are going to be wrestling with in the coming weeks.

My Dad is 70, and within a week it will be 3 weeks since his jab, which I understand is pretty much the point from which you have as much protection as you are going to get from the first dose.

He's very sociable, and understandably very, very low mentally at the moment as he cannot see anyone, nor does he really have anything to do with himself.

He wants to see his grandchildren, and we are moving rapidly towards a situation where realistically he is statistically very unlikely to be a danger to his grandchildren, nor them to him. Yet it seems the guidance will be nothing indoors for at least another couple of months or so?

What's the answer?

The answer is to asses the risk yourselves. 

If he’s not going out he isn’t going to pass anything on to you and your kids and if he’s protected by the vaccine you don’t need to worry about giving the virus to him. 

Forget the rules and the guidance, if it’s not safe now, when will it be safe? 

17 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Yeah apologies, was referring more generally to the implication that individuals who travelled last Summer were open to criticism.

Why would legality of an action be the only reason it would be open to criticism.

Tax avoidance isn't illegal but you could defo claim it is immoral and open to criticism. Countless other examples too.

Tbh my point originally wasn't just about people in here flying, it was it bizarrely being some of the most preachy and doom-mongery people on the thread, all while they themselves are flying about. Seems a bizarre thing to me.

20 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Yeah apologies, was referring more generally to the implication that individuals who travelled last Summer were open to criticism.

They were. There was a pandemic going on, we're talking about fully grown adults, not babies. Same for everyone who jaunted around the country visiting their family last Christmas. Just because Boris says you're allowed, that doesn't mean it's the responsible thing to do.

Sometimes you have to travel and break the rules, sometimes you're allowed to travel, but really shouldn't.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Why would legality of an action be the only reason it would be open to criticism.

Tax avoidance isn't illegal but you could defo claim it is immoral and open to criticism. Countless other examples too.

Tbh my point originally wasn't just about people in here flying, it was it bizarrely being some of the most preachy and doom-mongery people on the thread, all while they themselves are flying about. Seems a bizarre thing to me.

Fair comment. 

33 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Oh yeah I understand that, however those family members in care homes might not have had the chance to see family members through the pandemic which might be different to seeing other residents.

I think allowing people to see elderly residents in care homes is a good thing and will help quite a few people. But yes there are also people that this won’t help, hopefully measures will come in soon when it’s safe for those people too!

My point is, people living at home may not have seen their families either. Some, part or all of them. 

I had my last grandparent die last January 2020 had she still been living this past year she wouldn't have seen her son, her four grandchildren, two great grandchildren.

She would have seen her daughter and son in law as they lived the closest and would have been the bubble. She died alone at home anyway as it was sudden, well as sudden as death is for someone in their late 90's but that's not really the point - she saw my dad and my mum the day before she died granted this was by chance but it still happened this year that stuff doesn't happen. 

These sort of situations play out ever single day up and down the country covid or not the strains of coping with death Covid related or not have hugely increased due to the rules we have in place and we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that people are dying without seeing loved ones in all settings. The time we have with our loved ones is finite as it is. 

The not seeing families is not limited to care homes alone. 

Edited by RobertProsineckisLighter

9 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

My point is, people living at home may not have seen their families either. Some, part or all of them. 

I had my last grandparent die last January 2020 had she still been living this past year she wouldn't have seen her son, her four grandchildren, two great grandchildren.

She would have seen her daughter and son in law as they lived the closest and would have been the bubble. She died alone at home anyway as it was sudden, well as sudden as death is for someone in their late 90's but that's not really the point - she saw my dad and my mum the day before she died granted this was by chance but it still happened this year that stuff doesn't happen. 

These sort of situations play out ever single day up and down the country covid or not the strains of coping with death Covid related or not have hugely increased due to the rules we have in place and we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that people are dying without seeing loved ones in all settings. The time we have with our loved ones is finite as it is. 

The not seeing families is not limited to care homes alone. 

I know this wasn’t the point of your post but I’m sorry for your loss.

It’s a truly sad situation all round and one of the hardest parts of this pandemic. You are right not seeing families isn’t limited to care homes alone.

However the government might decide we aren’t ready to allow household mixing of that type yet even with elderly vaccinated people but there is still scope to allow care home residents visits which is definitely a start and will allow some to see family members again; although it won’t help everyone as you point out.

45 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

They were. There was a pandemic going on, we're talking about fully grown adults, not babies. Same for everyone who jaunted around the country visiting their family last Christmas. Just because Boris says you're allowed, that doesn't mean it's the responsible thing to do.

Sometimes you have to travel and break the rules, sometimes you're allowed to travel, but really shouldn't.

And a further group who have to travel to perform a role, in my case not for commercial reasons but for safety, security and humanitarian reasons at the behest of HMG. 

24 minutes ago, Copperface said:

And a further group who have to travel to perform a role, in my case not for commercial reasons but for safety, security and humanitarian reasons at the behest of HMG. 

Full disclosure: I did travel to see my Mum a couple of months ago, crossing from a higher tier to a lower tier - in clear violation of the rules. It wasn't a social visit and I my conscience is clear. But if I'd made a social visit within the rules on Christmas day, or gone on holiday last summer, my conscience would not be clear.