When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

20200831_215645.jpg

I read an interesting piece dismantling libertarianism recently. There’s certainly a significant minority of people that have the mindset of “my right not to wear a mask outranks your right to avoid getting covid and potentially dying”. 

Libertarianism in its purest form had nutters like Milton Friedman who thought licensing of doctors was a bad idea because the free market could decide for itself (e.g. you avoid the “doctor” who treated your granny because she died, eventually the shit doctors go out of business and the good ones stay) 

Of course, that’s one extreme example. But the point is that modern libertarians are never quite sure where to draw the line between “reasonable” civil liberties that need to be protected, and ridiculous liberties that actually infringe upon other people’s lives.

Ive thought about it a lot myself and I suppose I ultimately think that another national stay-at-home order type lockdown would be regrettable but I’d be okay with restaurants, pubs and non-essential shops being closed again if needed to protect the NHS in a second wave. I also think masks are a good idea to help us reopen society more without risking too much of an increase in cases and they also help avoid serious illness by reducing the viral load on those of us who do get covid. I think anti mask demos are a bit pathetic really. Face coverings help us transition from full lockdown to the current “happy medium” type position. Really difficult to see how society can be opened up any more than it is now until the pandemic is over.

I would say that my more libertarian side does dictate the following in any future lockdown:

- People should be allowed outside to exercise as much as they like, and sunbathing in parks etc not restricted

- Whilst indoor gatherings should be advised against by the government, I don’t think they should be banned 

4 hours ago, steviewevie said:

but where did this 50k come from? Just plucked out of somewhere. Not been peer reviewed. I mean...anyone can say anything. I think we're going to have 300 000000.000 deaths if schools go back next week.

Nail on head. That's what I'm sick of, all the papers reporting "suspected 2 million will die form Covid in the second wave" etc. It's not helping.

55 minutes ago, D-Low said:

Nail on head. That's what I'm sick of, all the papers reporting "suspected 2 million will die form Covid in the second wave" etc. It's not helping.

I agree, and the majority of these reports are examples of worst case scenarios with no government intervention, there will undoubtedly be intervention if an area sees a surge in cases 

2 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I read an interesting piece dismantling libertarianism recently. There’s certainly a significant minority of people that have the mindset of “my right not to wear a mask outranks your right to avoid getting covid and potentially dying”. 

Libertarianism in its purest form had nutters like Milton Friedman who thought licensing of doctors was a bad idea because the free market could decide for itself (e.g. you avoid the “doctor” who treated your granny because she died, eventually the shit doctors go out of business and the good ones stay) 

Of course, that’s one extreme example. But the point is that modern libertarians are never quite sure where to draw the line between “reasonable” civil liberties that need to be protected, and ridiculous liberties that actually infringe upon other people’s lives.

Ive thought about it a lot myself and I suppose I ultimately think that another national stay-at-home order type lockdown would be regrettable but I’d be okay with restaurants, pubs and non-essential shops being closed again if needed to protect the NHS in a second wave. I also think masks are a good idea to help us reopen society more without risking too much of an increase in cases and they also help avoid serious illness by reducing the viral load on those of us who do get covid. I think anti mask demos are a bit pathetic really. Face coverings help us transition from full lockdown to the current “happy medium” type position. Really difficult to see how society can be opened up any more than it is now until the pandemic is over.

I would say that my more libertarian side does dictate the following in any future lockdown:

- People should be allowed outside to exercise as much as they like, and sunbathing in parks etc not restricted

- Whilst indoor gatherings should be advised against by the government, I don’t think they should be banned 

Don't think sunbathing will be much of an issue over winter. But broadly agree! 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

9 minutes ago, Simsy said:

And Bolton is a new and very close Tory seat.

I knew it'd be that before I scrolled down and saw your comment. Its shocking that it's being used as a political tool 

This isnt a surprise and will likely work - people in those places will blame the local councils for the lockdown (or if the MEN comments are anything to go by, aiding and abetting the Bill Gates NWO media fearmongering vaccine control conspiracy or something) and maybe will vote Tory next time. 

Edited by efcfanwirral