When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

If you can see this thread, trump is on some kind of tirade to win over last minute voters. Promising all sorts of wild things and saying that he’s ending terrorism for good!

I wonder if all of this recent theatre has been from someone close to him telling him that he thinks he’s going to lose? Usually trump is very confident that he will win everything, so all of this to me stinks of “fuck it play the most dirty I can to win this thing - promise them literally a cure for cancer, who cares!?”

I am still not holding my breath - and you know me I love anecdotal evidence, but from what I heard from one of my own family - I wonder if there’s a fear that people who voted him in the first time (first time voters) aren’t going to vote for him again.

I wonder if there’s a bit of “I don’t like Biden, but I don’t want trump again, so I’m just not going to vote”. Maybe that’s why Biden has a lead in the polls. Because trumps recent actions are just clear dogwhistles to rally his base up. He’s not speaking to anyone new. This desperation has to come from concern that his base won’t even vote for him.

Edited by Matt42

15 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Just reading the possible restrictions on The Guardian website. Don't these two for level 2 massively contradict each other? Or is  holiday an essential reason now? Or does it mean only travel on public transport (which means pretty much all travel for people without cars)?

• People should only travel for essential reasons.

• People can holiday outside of your area but should only do so with the people they live with or have formed a social bubble with.

Particularly interested as going away for a week on Saturday. I think the restrictions will come in while we are away (although am hoping we are going from one level 1 area to another).

'Should only'sounds like its down to your own judgment

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

If you can see this thread, trump is on some kind of tirade to win over last minute voters. Promising all sorts of wild things and saying that he’s ending terrorism for good!

I wonder if all of this recent theatre has been from someone close to him telling him that he thinks he’s going to lose? Usually trump is very confident that he will win everything, so all of this to me stinks of “fuck it play the most dirty I can to win this thing - promise them literally a cure for cancer, who cares!?”

I am still not holding my breath - and you know me I love anecdotal evidence, but from what I heard from one of my own family - I wonder if there’s a fear that people who voted him in the first time (first time voters) aren’t going to vote for him again.

I wonder if there’s a bit of “I don’t like Biden, but I don’t want trump again, so I’m just not going to vote”. Maybe that’s why Biden has a lead in the polls.

Nah, the dont knows are very low this time around. If even your MAGA relatives hate him, then....

Just now, Matt42 said:

I wonder if there’s a bit of “I don’t like Biden, but I don’t want trump again, so I’m just not going to vote”. Maybe that’s why Biden has a lead in the polls.

You've changed your tune...your family seem to be the bellweather for the whole of the US voting intention.

All polls indicate that Biden is going to win...but I still have a horrible feeling that they're wrong again.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

You've changed your tune...your family seem to be the bellweather for the whole of the US voting intention.

All polls indicate that Biden is going to win...but I still have a horrible feeling that they're wrong again.

I can only speak for what I see, I’m not making any sweeping statements. I’m just trying to understand why trump is pulling these daily stunts. 

Easy explanation could be he just wants to be on the news. A more complex situation could be that he’s worried that some of his base have realised they’ve been sold snake oil.?

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

They would have to be wronger this time. And they could be wrong in the other way.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I can only speak for what I see, I’m not making any sweeping statements. I’m just trying to understand why trump is pulling these daily stunts. 

Easy explanation could be he just wants to be on the news. A more complex situation could be that he’s worried that some of his base have realised they’ve been sold snake oil.?

I think he's desperate.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yes...but Biden could win the popular by a larger percentage but still end up losing...

Think the only States still left supporting Trump are the deep south states. The traditional swing states all seem to be going to Biden. 

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yes...but Biden could win the popular by a larger percentage but still end up losing...

Whilst that's technically true...

The state polls have stable leads to Biden above the margin of error. The polls would have to be wronger for him to lose, I'm not talking about national polls.

2 plumbers strolled into the house without masks on. Luckily didnt need long to fix the boiler. Figured by the time they were in doing it that the relative benefits of going past them to get to our masks and give them two wasn't worth it so we've got all the windows and doors open now. Good job they fixed the heating....

No wonder the north is a state if shit like that is happening everywhere... 

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

surely you'd be returning home to be able to work? That's allowed.

True. I'm not actually too worried about breaking the guidance (I'd have to, the Airbnb owner will want her property back!), but more questioning the logic of those two rules alongside each other. But I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at this point.

39 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Try having a convo with people around the idea that flying might have to be restricted to help save the planet, and you'll find out that in some people's eyes it's a human right. ;) 

There is absolutely zero chance that flying will be restricted to save the planet FWIW. A populist government would get elected to overthrow such rules. 

40 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

They would have to be wronger this time. And they could be wrong in the other way.

In some ways they are more likely to be wrong the other way. Pollsters make efforts to compensate for any issues they have those efforts could well move things too much in the opposite direction. 

We are in Biden landslide territory, obviously things could change between now and the election, and there is room for Republican voter suppression chicanery so it's not a done deal but there is a significant chance of an historic defeat for Trump.