2020 Line-up Thread

RustySpanner

1 hour ago, Guy Incognito said:

Not attempting to virtue signal or instruct people where to eat or whatever but I'd encourage people to think twice before supporting Happy Maki. The owner is sadly a vocal transphobe and all round nasty piece of work. Last autumn her entire workforce put out a statement explaining this and thought it more important to resign, thus placing themselves in real economic insecurity, rather than carry on working for her. I know of this primary because someone very, very close to me was working there at the time and another as on the receiving end of her vitriol.

It's a shame as I regularly visited Happy Maki at festivals and in Brighton where I live as i loved the food. Whilst I don't think it's necessary to go into real specific detail here and of course I in no way begrudge anyone who would continue to eat there, I thought it would be worth a mention.

P.S - we need the dumpling stand back at EOTR!!!

Wow, Not-so-happy Maki.

Could have done with this info to discourage a few people from the ENORMOUS queues for it at Latitude. (There were lots of food queues at L but theirs seemed the longest).

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

Cinema screening should be fairly straightforward, surprised we haven't got that yet. 

Like lots of you, more interested now in the food, and if Beavertown are going to be there. Not that fussed about the day splits, tbh, they can wait, but I would really like the comedy lineup, as I'm currently umming and aahing about whether to go up to Edinburgh fringe in a couple of weeks, and a strong comedy lineup would help me with that decision.

Yes to Beavertown, and a return of all those higher ABV craft keg beers that had sold out by Friday please.

3 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

Not attempting to virtue signal or instruct people where to eat or whatever but I'd encourage people to think twice before supporting Happy Maki. The owner is sadly a vocal transphobe and all round nasty piece of work. Last autumn her entire workforce put out a statement explaining this and thought it more important to resign, thus placing themselves in real economic insecurity, rather than carry on working for her. I know of this primary because someone very, very close to me was working there at the time and another as on the receiving end of her vitriol.

It's a shame as I regularly visited Happy Maki at festivals and in Brighton where I live as i loved the food. Whilst I don't think it's necessary to go into real specific detail here and of course I in no way begrudge anyone who would continue to eat there, I thought it would be worth a mention.

Not at all GI, thanks for flagging. Something close to my heart and I'm glad you brought it up so I can swerve it

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

Also pretty certain that Goan fish curry was missing in 2019.

Confirmed.

7 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

Noted, thanks for the heads up.

12 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

Thanks very much for the heads up. As somebody who spent a glorious few days last weekend in the company of a trans friend I would have been more than upset if I had found this out after the festival.

13 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

In the interests of balance, here is the accused woman's rebuttal: https://www.happymaki.co.uk/blog (warning: long). 

To be clear, unlike Guy, I have no personal knowledge of any of this. My views - from what I've read - would be that the owner has some, er, highly unusual/offensive beliefs about trans people and 'spirits'; but is surely well within her rights to refuse to fundraise for one individual's transition surgery (which seems from both sides to be the crucial event).

21 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

To be clear, unlike Guy, I have no personal knowledge of any of this. My views - from what I've read - would be that the owner has some, er, highly unusual/offensive beliefs about trans people and 'spirits'; but is surely well within her rights to refuse to fundraise for one individual's transition surgery (which seems from both sides to be the crucial even

This is fine perspective to have. There is more to it than perhaps the statement implies and certain discrepancies between the details in the statement and events I knew took place. Either way I just thought it was worth a mention but now we've discussed it I'm sure we can move back to more directly EOTR related stuff. 

I wonder who we will get to replace Tinariwen. Black midi are free....

Something in my head said that Black Midi were already on the EOTR line-up. Thought we had all four of the current hype bands (Black Midi, Black Country New Road, Dry Cleaning and Squid). I've obviously not been paying attention or simply getting confused. Of course, I'd love them. Very much into all four of them right now.

14 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

Not attempting to virtue signal or instruct people where to eat or whatever but I'd encourage people to think twice before supporting Happy Maki. The owner is sadly a vocal transphobe and all round nasty piece of work.

"From the research I have done, I believe that gender dysphoria is due to spirits and spirit over-cloaking."

“I didn’t believe in spirits until recently so I get that it’s probably a bit out there, but I have been shocked and a bit scared about what I have read and how easy it is for them to control and manipulate people’s thoughts and feelings.”

The fucking irony. Never liked the place anyway. Put some fucking raw fish in your sushi you doss c**t. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, shoebox said:

Something in my head said that Black Midi were already on the EOTR line-up. Thought we had all four of the current hype bands (Black Midi, Black Country New Road, Dry Cleaning and Squid). I've obviously not been paying attention or simply getting confused. Of course, I'd love them. Very much into all four of them right now.

They’re at Green Man I think.