2020 Line-up Thread

RustySpanner

10 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Doubt we'll get them until they're absolutely sure of going ahead.

Pilot events aside, all events are playing it by ear this summer. I don't think this will be sure to go ahead until the week of the festival if re-restrictions don't look to be forthcoming.

Edited by dentalplan

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Pilot events aside, all events are playing it by ear this summer. I don't think this will be sure to go ahead until the week of the festival if re-restrictions don't look to be forthcoming.

Surely the decision needs to me made much, much sooner.

They can’t play it by ear without racking up huge costs.

22 minutes ago, Sean1234321 said:

Unless they're being told something different by the government, why would they not expect to be going ahead when in the 19th July all covid restrictions will be scrapped (hopefully)? 

Many festivals after that date have been cancelled as they’re unconvinced they’ll be allowed to go ahead (this government is famous for saying one thing and doing another).

Festivals reach a point where they start paying serious money...if the festival then isn’t allowed to go ahead it will cripple them.

Green Man looks dead based on yesterday’s statement.

Bit more hope for EOTR still.

EoTR can easily wait until 12 july when 19 july will be confirmed or otherwise. Assuming its all fine they can proceed.

im not sure green man can wait till 12 july (5 and a half weeks before it opens) and to add to that its not in england so even more confusion as technically wales could do different (although in practice im not sure how they could as there is no meaningful border)

Edited by Memory Man

1 hour ago, Memory Man said:

EoTR can easily wait until 12 july when 19 july will be confirmed or otherwise. Assuming its all fine they can proceed.

im not sure green man can wait till 12 july (5 and a half weeks before it opens) and to add to that its not in england so even more confusion as technically wales could do different (although in practice im not sure how they could as there is no meaningful border)

Because Green Man is based in Wales and is therefore under the guidance of the Welsh government, who have been even less forthcoming than the English about ending restrictions and big events.

It's possible there's no point at which EOTR can be 100% sure until gates open, but obviously there has to be a point well before that where they say they're going full steam ahead or otherwise for the sake of everyone invested in it. Having so much distance from the 12th you'd think EOTR could make that early, but Latitude's ERP status and that that might add at least another five days (for post-event testing) to any final nod, even though they'd hinted a while back that any guidance would be published before the Step 4 date - the report would have been published last week had June 19th remained the date - feels like another potential unnecessary delay, though the word was that's mostly to test the new NHS Pass app. BUT... Standon Calling, which is the first weekend after that date, has announced it's going ahead this morning at full 15,000 capacity, which reinforces my earlier point that we can't just judge one festival's feasibility on another's.

I think all restrictions will indeed be lifted on 19th July. Johnson and his cronies will claim to follow the science - which would be a first - but this will be for entirely political reasons, since there is too much pressure from vested interests in his party, particularly  the shouters in the so-called COVID Recovery Group. Further, he can't afford yet another u-turn on dates, since that might make him look like an incompetent, duplicitous, indecisive and dishonest clown. Further again, at some stage it can be argued that the country simply can't sustain an unending cycle of lockdowns and de-lockdowns, and with the benefits of vaccinations now visibly filtering through, the 19th can justifiably be taken as the end date for that cycle. If there are no restrictions, there is no reason for EOTR not to go ahead, though there may be published guidelines, advice and best practice to follow.

My biggest concern is "all restrictions lifted" on the 19th (and I do think this will happen) isn't actually what it claims to be. That there are caveats, resulting in events/venues that are under capacity because of social distancing, people turned away for having cold-like symptoms, masks mandated. That's not normality and businesses cannot operate under those conditions. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, RedRockRick said:

I think all restrictions will indeed be lifted on 19th July. Johnson and his cronies will claim to follow the science - which would be a first - but this will be for entirely political reasons, since there is too much pressure from vested interests in his party, particularly  the shouters in the so-called COVID Recovery Group. Further, he can't afford yet another u-turn on dates, since that might make him look like an incompetent, duplicitous, indecisive and dishonest clown. Further again, at some stage it can be argued that the country simply can't sustain an unending cycle of lockdowns and de-lockdowns, and with the benefits of vaccinations now visibly filtering through, the 19th can justifiably be taken as the end date for that cycle. If there are no restrictions, there is no reason for EOTR not to go ahead, though there may be published guidelines, advice and best practice to follow.

14 minutes ago, RedRockRick said:

And what if they say Full Unlock on 19th (and buried in smallprint no events above 10,000 people unless social distancing)? There are hardly going to be mass protests from the party or from the public.

What would be surely optimal is to stipulate they’ll allow events with more than 10,000 as long as attendees are double jabbed or have a covid test within 48 hours. 

But it’s hard to trust these dickheads to come up with a sensible solution. 

6 minutes ago, xxialac said:

And what if they say Full Unlock on 19th (and buried in smallprint no events above 10,000 people unless social distancing)? There are hardly going to be mass protests from the party or from the public.

Not going to say nothing like that is possible, but it would attract immediate attention and protest for its effect on football, first up.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Not going to say nothing like that is possible, but it would attract immediate attention and protest for its effect on football, first up.

Problem is, for a long time I wrongly assumed that if they allowed spectators at football then all common sense and fairness would mean music would be fine as well.

But unfortunately these shameless, corrupt arseholes have made it clear that they have no issue with "one rule for us, one for you" wherever it benefits them or their friends - and seemingly are able to do it without consequence. It's entirely realistic they do that but exempt football just because they want to.

• Upvote 2

I’m not without hope. Standon Calling has just decided to press ahead so either they have reasons to be confident (let’s hope) or perhaps more cynically they have no choice as they’re running out of money. 

And thank god EOTR is not in July or august. A big plus. 

2 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

It's possible there's no point at which EOTR can be 100% sure until gates open, but obviously there has to be a point well before that where they say they're going full steam ahead or otherwise for the sake of everyone invested in it.

They did the 'full steam ahead' thing. 

Although in the time since I questioned a decision on an assured 'going ahead' notice, Standon Calling did exactly that, as has been mentioned. So I would be willing to accept now that it happens 😄 

5 hours ago, xxialac said:

What would be surely optimal is to stipulate they’ll allow events with more than 10,000 as long as attendees are double jabbed or have a covid test within 48 hours. 

But it’s hard to trust these dickheads to come up with a sensible solution. 

That seems to be the problem as far as WOMAD was concerned (albeit a lot closer to the 19th July). This from their press release:

"Whilst the prime minister and his colleagues say there will be no restrictions on society at that point, we have been unable to get any confirmation of what the plan is,” the organisers said in a statement. “Nor is there any clarity on how what is being learned from the events research programme might affect the guidance for festivals and how they are required to operate.”

FWIW the Standard is reporting that indoor venues and nightclubs won't be subject to tests/NHS Passes after the 19th, which is significant because the ERG report stated indoor events carry more risk, and there's a line further down that vaccine passports won't be mandatory for "festivals and sporting events": https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/dance-clubs-reopen-no-covid-tests-lockdown-vaccine-passports-b943401.html

On the subject of waiting for day splits, have we taken into account that parts of the line-up might have to be changed again? While I don't doubt they've got a long list of potential replacements and there'll doubtless be more discussions on cross-border travel in the next month, but with that (in and out) being what it is, I don't know if they can guarantee Whitney, Tune-Yards, Tinariwen, Songhoy Blues, Kikagaku Moyo, the Goon Sax (I did see them added to another bill around the same time the other day but if vaccine passports are necessary them being Australian counts them right out)...

Edited by SweepingTheNation

2 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

FWIW the Standard is reporting that indoor venues and nightclubs won't be subject to tests/NHS Passes after the 19th, which is significant because the ERG report stated indoor events carry more risk, and there's a line further down that vaccine passports won't be mandatory for "festivals and sporting events": https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/dance-clubs-reopen-no-covid-tests-lockdown-vaccine-passports-b943401.html

On the subject of waiting for day splits, have we taken into account that parts of the line-up might have to be changed again? While I don't doubt they've got a long list of potential replacements and there'll doubtless be more discussions on cross-border travel in the next month, but with that (in and out) being what it is, I don't know if they can guarantee Whitney, Tune-Yards, Tinariwen, Songhoy Blues, Kikagaku Moyo, the Goon Sax (I did see them added to another bill around the same time the other day but if vaccine passports are necessary them being Australian counts them right out)...

I was thinking the same.

Travel isn’t as easy as hoped, many will surely cancel.

7 minutes ago, Nick07 said:

Y Festival cancelled because of the Governments failure 

Unfortunately 10 days after the July 19th put them in a much harder place of having to start paying for suppliers etc before unlocking is confirmed. I also don't know if people would want to attend a music festival before being fully vaccinated (thankfully most 30/20 yr olds will be fully vaccinated before September). With the delta variant, I don't think I would (certainly wouldn't go into tent stages).

53 minutes ago, goldengirl said:

Unfortunately 10 days after the July 19th put them in a much harder place of having to start paying for suppliers etc before unlocking is confirmed. I also don't know if people would want to attend a music festival before being fully vaccinated (thankfully most 30/20 yr olds will be fully vaccinated before September). With the delta variant, I don't think I would (certainly wouldn't go into tent stages).

Please correctly refer to it as the Johnson Variant.