2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

2 minutes ago, nikkic said:

My records are filed in no particular order.

Albums by the same band can be at opposite ends of the shelf. 

I have zero regard for alphabetical order and spend ages trying to find what I want. 

I’ve been meaning to do something about this for 3 years but am yet to muster the energy...

705324169_tenor(1).gif.089940c938b779593cb26e99a8e90932.gif

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

The great thing about having no real system is that you inevitably stick on about four records just while you’re looking for the one you actually want to listen to.

Brings back horrible memories of when drunk uni mates would not only rearrange my CDs on the shelf, but also then take the discs out and put them in the wrong cases.

There was no curse in Elvish, Entish or the tongues of Men for this treachery.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Macca at Glastonbury is the dream for me. As much as I'll be absolutely surprised and delighted if new year goes ahead, I would be pretty devastated if it does without Macca.

Same. The festival getting cancelled was bad enough but with McCartney as one of the headliners, talk about icing on the cake.

If it was to go ahead in 2021, with him headlining, I genuinely think it could be the happiest I've ever been when he walks out on stage

6 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

What do people do for artists like Lianne Le Havas and Lana Del Rey? Is it a L/D or a H/R?

A good question. My take would always have been that it's the dominant part of the surname, so Lianne La Havas would be under H. Del Ray would also have been under R. 

I'm less precious about that as it's more open to interpretation.

8 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

What do people do for artists like Lianne Le Havas and Lana Del Rey? Is it a L/D or a H/R?

I have my Lana records under 'D'.

My set up is I have my turntable on a small unit which has space for around 80 records. There I have mainly new purchases and stuff that I have on regularly. Then I have some more shelfing in another part of the room with the rest.

Both are arranged in alphabetical order (surname for solo artists, including Elton John and Kendrick Lamar). For those acts I have more than one records they're then ordered in chronological release order for studio albums with any live or compilation albums coming at the end.

This is the way.

1 minute ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Both are arranged in alphabetical order (surname for solo artists, including Elton John and Kendrick Lamar). For those acts I have more than one records they're then ordered in chronological release order for studio albums with any live or compilation albums coming at the end.

This is the way.

like this.

This is the way.

15 minutes ago, Quark said:

Brings back horrible memories of when drunk uni mates would not only rearrange my CDs on the shelf, but also then take the discs out and put them in the wrong cases.

There was no curse in Elvish, Entish or the tongues of Men for this treachery.

Now this is something we can agree on. Putting the wrong record in the wrong jacket is unforgivable.

I’ve had to pull Mrs J up on this several times. Had to ged rid of our entire DVD collection.

2 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

How would y'all catalog the Argentinian indie rock band, Él Mató a un Policía Motorizado?

I think my first reaction would be to avoid the problem altogether by not buying their album.

But I'd put them under "E"

In the same way that ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of The Dead would go under "A"

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

I think my first reaction would be to avoid the problem altogether by not buying their album.

But I'd put them under "E"

In the same way that ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of The Dead would go under "A"

Surely they should be categorised under punctuation because of the ellipses?

23 minutes ago, Quark said:

Something that has wound me up about Deezer from day 1 (don't know if Spotify's the same) is that it files artists by the first letter. So Bruce Springsteen is a B rather than an S.

Worst part is that all "The" bands are filed as T.  Madness.

Seems to be the new way I just checked the discogs app and if you sort Artist A-Z it sorts by first name as well. 

35 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I have my Lana records under 'D'.

My set up is I have my turntable on a small unit which has space for around 80 records. There I have mainly new purchases and stuff that I have on regularly. Then I have some more shelfing in another part of the room with the rest.

This is the way.

See for me, I’d have Lana under “L”. I’d go with the most prominent part of the name. 

• A to Z

• Artists by surname

• Middle names ignored - David Lee Roth goes under R

• Ignore 'The' i.e. The Beatles are under B

• Multiple albums by one artist are chronological 

• Lana Del Rey under B for Bin.

Anything else is a travesty. Including:

408678340_tenor(3).gif.e8179955ee83a584714656ecfe594403.gif

• Upvote 3