2021 Headliners

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

I would be surprised if more than 10% of ticket holders have cancelled. The festival were upfront about deposits rolling over and seeing how people have only put £50 down my view is that the majority of people will wait and see what happens before committing either way.

Even if 20% have cancelled there would be over 100,000 punters with tickets. That’s before the usual staff/performers/everyone else on site. Still far too great a number to implement any kind of distancing effectively.

Said before and I’ll say again, it either goes ahead as usual or it doesn’t at all.

absolutely .... the numbers thing on resale is so insignificant to the overall amount .... Isn't it also those extra tickets past a certain amount that enable the festival  to be financially  viable ? unless they are prepared to run with no profit ... which seems a strange  way of going ... with nothing  to the festival charities  either !! and those numbers will make no difference to social distancing whatsoever  

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Said before and I’ll say again, it either goes ahead as usual or it doesn’t at all.

I actually think it'd lose too much of it's magic with distancing measures. Don't get me wrong, I'd still go. But I'd almost they waited til they can do it properly again.

I genuinely can't imagine how great it will be to be back on the site.

43 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

They stated the issue for cancelling this year was the site build as it takes 2 months whereas other festivals can be put up in a fortnight, could they do a massively down scaled festival e.g no themed areas and focus just on the performance stages 

Why, though?

That'd be shit.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I'm not gonna stumble into a life drawing class at 3am completely off my nut anywhere else though. 

To be fair, I can think of at least 3 other festivals where you might. Your overall point still stands and is absolutely correct though.

45 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

They stated the issue for cancelling this year was the site build as it takes 2 months whereas other festivals can be put up in a fortnight, could they do a massively down scaled festival e.g no themed areas and focus just on the performance stages 

Then it wouldn’t be Glastonbury. You can get generic festivals everywhere. Might as well all go to Leeds fest

The other problem with downsizing is that if you remove certain areas, say Theatre, Avalon and the SE Corner just for arguments’ sake, all you are doing is reducing the number of areas for people to gather. Which defeats the object of reducing capacity as people will end up crammed together in fewer areas.

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The other problem with downsizing is that if you remove certain areas, say Theatre, Avalon and the SE Corner just for arguments’ sake, all you are doing is reducing the number of areas for people to gather. Which defeats the object of reducing capacity as people will end up crammed together in fewer areas.

Yep, it's a complete non starter.

Ultimately, if distancing is a concern, then the stages and the choke points when moving between them are your single biggest problem. 100,000 people in the Pyramid field needs to somehow become 30,000.

By downsize I don’t mean like cut the SE corner I mean just a tightening up of the lineup. Not 90,000 - 100,000 odd capacity. Maybe not 100s and 100s of smaller stages but just a more refined festival with a slight bit less going on.

I can see them cutting a 10,000 - 20,000 tickets and cutting costs but not holding some of the smaller smaller stages.

Just now, Matt42 said:

By downsize I don’t mean like cut the SE corner I mean just a tightening up of the lineup. Not 90,000 - 100,000 odd capacity. Maybe not 100s and 100s of smaller stages but just a more refined festival with a slight bit less going on.

I can see them cutting a 10,000 - 20,000 tickets and cutting costs but not holding some of the smaller smaller stages.

But as Hugh pointed out - while you've reduced the numbers, you've not actually solved any of the potential problems by doing so.

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

This was the point I was trying to make, perhaps put them and areas like Glastonbury on Sea and Cinemageddon to one side for a year so that isn't as much to construct and then they can return and allow the festival to happen as normal for 2022, I think its these compromises and mitigations that will have to be made to allow the festival season to fully go ahead next year, I don't know how feasible it would be but is there a chance different areas could have a capped capacity as well?

Edited by Chapple12345

2 minutes ago, incident said:

But as Hugh pointed out - while you've reduced the numbers, you've not actually solved any of the potential problems by doing so.

Wait wait wait I’m not saying reduce numbers to come below social distancing guidelines. I’m talking about cutting costs and covering themselves if they need to cancel again.

Holding a slightly smaller festival than usual, which is still ‘big’ but not as big as they could potentially stage it if it was a normal year.

They will want to be very careful about what money they do spend and where they spend it if there’s a chance the plug could be pulled again.

Just now, Matt42 said:

Wait wait wait I’m not saying reduce numbers to come below social distancing guidelines. I’m talking about cutting costs and covering themselves if they need to cancel again.

Holding a slightly smaller festival than usual, which is still ‘big’ but not as big as they could potentially stage it if it was a normal year.

They will want to be very careful about what money they do spend and where they spend it if there’s a chance the plug could be pulled again.

Fair enough, but honestly I don't think that's much of a concern.

I also don't think the smaller venues are where to look for cost savings - a lot of them (I assume most - all the ones I know about anyway) essentially have a deal along the lines of they get X amount of wristbands, and are allowed to sell Tea/Coffee/snacks or whatever but no actual money changes hands between them and the festival.

1 minute ago, Ddiamondd said:

I will say, to pull the handbrake a bit: this is their contingency plan, right?

They're establishing a plan B so the finality of 'no June, no 2021 edition at all' isn't all-consuming.

Yep, you're right to be cautious, that's exactly what it sounds like.

That won't stop us all speculating on every possible outcome though.

2 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

I will say, to pull the handbrake a bit: this is their contingency plan, right?

They're establishing a plan B so the finality of 'no June, no 2021 edition at all' isn't all-consuming.

thats the way I take it ... I posted this across the way in the other thread 

14 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

This was the point I was trying to make, perhaps put them and areas like Glastonbury on Sea and Cinemageddon to one side for a year so that isn't as much to construct and then they can return and allow the festival to happen as normal for 2022, I think its these compromises and mitigations that will have to be made to allow the festival season to fully go ahead next year, I don't know how feasible it would be but is there a chance different areas could have a capped capacity as well?

Ironically the two areas you mention there though are two of the easiest for people to distance at.

I could actually see them cutting capacity just to be able to say they've done something. Many of the businesses putting in covid measures just seem to do one or two things to look like they're doing something - you have to book online for example, or restrictions around numbers - but in reality people can still break them. The festival could say something like "we've reduced the numbers to allow people to spread out more". Not their fault then if they don't...

5 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I agree entirely. I can't see any benefits of slightly reducing the capacity - some areas will be rammed however many people are on site, and ultimately fewer people = less income, and they probably need all they can get now. 

I don't think it'll go ahead at all unless the situation has significantly changed, and I don't think that'll happen without some sort of vaccination. There's optimism that one will be rolled out next year and I feel that postponing the festival for a few months gives them a much better chance of it going ahead.

With regards the acts touring around June, if Glasto does get shifted then I wouldn't be surprised that Diana moves her tour again too, as it seemed to be centred around GF anyway. Maybe Aerosmith too - their website shows just 5 European arena dates next June, and two of those are in the UK. That suggests their tour may also be centred around Glasto, and could all get postponed again a lot easier than if they were pencilled in for a load of other festivals.