2021 Headliners

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Anti cancel culture rhetoric has gone too far when you can't even cancel someone from Procurement.

You wouldn’t say that about the people procuring stuff for your precious festival...

Actually, wonder if they’re hiring... I’ll work for tickets and growlers.

26 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Can't imagine Ari headlining Glasto. Would be down for it though. I don't think Coachella is a good example, didn't they pay something like $8 million dollars for her?

She also played manc pride which will be giving her nowhere near that sort of money 

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Anti cancel culture rhetoric has gone too far when you can't even cancel someone from Procurement.

You can, but you just need to make sure that you've done it within the contracted time frame and in the correct format for serving notice, otherwise we automatically stay for another year.

It could be worse. We could be in-house solicitors....

Just now, Matt42 said:

She also played manc pride which will be giving her nowhere near that sort of money 

Based on nothing more than my own ill-informed amateur speculation I would put her in that category of artists I could see taking a pay cut to perform at Glastonbury.

Aye I think Ari certainly wants to lend her name to things like Pride, even taking a massive pay cut for it. And it's something you have to applaud. I can see the ethos of Glastonbury striking a chord with her if Emily pitches it right, which I have no doubt she would. 

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Can the Procurement lads sort out 3 decent headliners for us?

Can't speak for Hugh, but my speciality is trying to perform fudge fixes on stuff that people have already fucked up.  If Emily were to promise Black Lace the headline slot for £5m, then come to me a week before the fest and ask me to get Prince for £1m, then we're in my wheelhouse.

Footnote - enough of the procurement gags.  My entire career is a joke already, trying to actually perform it on one screen while being ripped for it on another is a bit much even for me. 

Edited by Quark

29 minutes ago, jparx said:

So Gorillaz and Tame Impala seem to be co headlining RW according to Ken. Tame Impala was a hint, but seems likely to be them. That would be “replacing” either SOAD or Kendrick.

If Tame didn’t just smash it on the Other at the last festival I’d throw their hat in the ring. Yes obviously not quite big enough, lack of bangers or whatever other criticism you want to make, but the list of potential headliners doesn’t seem very extensive at this stage.

I think TI would put on an unreal headline show. I fully believe that 'The Less I know the Better', 'Let It Happen' and 'Feels Like We Only Go Backwards' in the dark on the Pyramid would absolutely go off. Do they really have less of a back catalogue then say, Arctic Monkeys (2007), Metallica, Kasabian or Gorillaz? (I suspect, however, as you say headlining the Other a year ago probably rules them out). Also regarding 2019, didn't they put on a brand new light show etc. specifically for Glastonbury? Clearly playing means a fair bit to them. 

I would say that Tame is one of those headline slots that looks a bit dodgy at the time of booking, but, actually a superb and mesmerizing Glastonbury headline show would be the massive boost they need in the UK to become very well known by the wider public - and in hindsight in five years time it'll look a very very solid booking. They've already played all the big ones outside of Glastonbury anyway haven't they? 

Edited by kemosabe

Just now, kemosabe said:

I think TI would put on an unreal headline show. I fully believe that 'The Less I know the Better', 'Let It Happen' and 'Feels Like We Only Go Backwards' in the dark on the Pyramid would absolutely go off. Do they really have less of a back catalogue then say, Arctic Monkeys (2007), Metallica, Kasabian or Gorillaz? (I suspect as you say headlining the Other a year ago probably rules them out). Also regarding 2019, didn't they put on a brand new light show etc. specifically for Glastonbury? Clearly playing means a fair bit to them.

I would say that Tame is one of those headline slots that looks a bit dodgy at the time of booking, but, actually a Glastonbury headline is the massive boost they need in the UK to become very well known by the wider public - and in hindsight in five years time it'll look a very very solid booking. 

I would totally agree with you but as I said, it's just too soon I think, even with a new record!

Not sure you can say they a stronger back catalogue than Metallica mind you!

4 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

I think TI would put on an unreal headline show. I fully believe that 'The Less I know the Better', 'Let It Happen' and 'Feels Like We Only Go Backwards' in the dark on the Pyramid would absolutely go off. Do they really have less of a back catalogue then say, Arctic Monkeys (2007), Metallica, Kasabian or Gorillaz? (I suspect as you say headlining the Other a year ago probably rules them out). Also regarding 2019, didn't they put on a brand new light show etc. specifically for Glastonbury? Clearly playing means a fair bit to them.

I would say that Tame is one of those headline slots that looks a bit dodgy at the time of booking, but, actually a Glastonbury headline is the massive boost they need in the UK to become very well known by the wider public - and in hindsight in five years time it'll look a very very solid booking. 

I do think that Tame Impala would perform worse on the office litmus test than the others you've listed out. Quality is another matter altogether.

If you were to ask a group of normal people (ie not us) to name a track by each of those bands, they'd be fine with AM, Metallica and Kasabian. Gorillaz might be "that one that goes...".  Honestly think they'd struggle more with TI.

Edited by Quark

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

Aye I think Ari certainly wants to lend her name to things like Pride, even taking a massive pay cut for it. And it's something you have to applaud. I can see the ethos of Glastonbury striking a chord with her if Emily pitches it right, which I have no doubt she would. 

The more it’s discussed the more I think she’s a pretty likely booking. She was booked up elsewhere in 2019 so couldn’t play, and she has a couple of festival headline sets under her belt already. It’s a bit different from Taylor Swift who (still) has never headlined a festival.

Ariana playing is not exactly a leap at all. If she shows activity for 2021 I think we should put her on the list of the highly likely.

Just now, AlexOvd said:

So Ariana yes and RHCP no as they are shit. Aham... 

As someone who knows nothing of this Ariana of whom you all speak but has been a paid up member of the sock fanclub since my teen years, I'd be way more in favour of Grande.  RHCP would feel very...backward looking. Not because it's blokes with guitars, just because their star has very much passed while Ariana's is on the rise.

16 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

I think TI would put on an unreal headline show. I fully believe that 'The Less I know the Better', 'Let It Happen' and 'Feels Like We Only Go Backwards' in the dark on the Pyramid would absolutely go off. Do they really have less of a back catalogue then say, Arctic Monkeys (2007), Metallica, Kasabian or Gorillaz? (I suspect, however, as you say headlining the Other a year ago probably rules them out). Also regarding 2019, didn't they put on a brand new light show etc. specifically for Glastonbury? Clearly playing means a fair bit to them. 

I would say that Tame is one of those headline slots that looks a bit dodgy at the time of booking, but, actually a superb and mesmerizing Glastonbury headline show would be the massive boost they need in the UK to become very well known by the wider public - and in hindsight in five years time it'll look a very very solid booking. They've already played all the big ones outside of Glastonbury anyway haven't they? 

Live Your Life would go off but other than that I'm not sure he has enough bangers in the arsenal. 

Edited by Zacko

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I say no to RHCP because they seem to be on the Eavis blacklist. There is a direct quote somewhere from Michael which backs this up.

When asked about another act Eavis said:

"Red Hot Chilli Peppers? They didn’t turn up

"We’re not very forgiving for bands that don’t turn up."

Source is Somerset Live, so it's entirely possible they just got that from on here anyway!

Edited by Quark

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

I would totally agree with you but as I said, it's just too soon I think, even with a new record!

Not sure you can say they a stronger back catalogue than Metallica mind you!

I accept I might of taken it too far, TI/ Metallica fight is not a hill i'm willing to die on haha.

Yeah,  I agree wholeheartedly. I mean 'boarderline' is a banger obviously, but not sure how many others from the new album actually make it into their Glastonbury headline set-list? Stormzy went from other to Pyramid headline without any new songs I believe (?) but he wasn't headlining before and he had basically all of the Grime discography to choose from. Also Tame's show isn't all that different to when they sub-headlined in 2016 even. 

Wish they hadn't bothered with last year (even though they absolutely killed it) as it's properly scuppered their chance to headline. 

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

When asked about another act Eavis said:

"Red Hot Chilli Peppers? They didn’t turn up

"We’re not very forgiving for bands that don’t turn up."

Source is Somerset Live, so it's entirely possible they just got that from on here anyway!

People keep re-posting that Twix story, but one day I'd love to read the saga of the brave hero who keep Flea and the lads away from the Pyramid by hiding their stage costumes.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Quark said:

I do think that Tame Impala would perform worse on the office litmus test than the others you've listed out. Quality is another matter altogether.

If you were to ask a group of normal people (ie not us) to name a track by each of those bands, they'd be fine with AM, Metallica and Kasabian. Gorillaz might be "that one that goes...".  Honestly think they'd struggle more with TI.

You reckon? I think most people know The Less I know The Better? I accept you could be right though. I think Arctic Monkeys in 2007 with just their first album would certainly of been recognised less though.

One advantage Glastonbury has is that it is such an institution, that I feel that if it says someone is headline status, then the public just assume they are headline size but they personally must just be out the loop (if that makes sense). The same goes for Billie Eilish or anyone I reckon. They become headline size if Glastonbury says they are, it is then just all about being able to deliver. 

The festival would also have the entire year to hype them, get people listening to them etc.. and even then, with their light show, they'd still impress people watching on the TV casually (or anyone in the field).  

Very hypothetical as it isn't happening!

1 minute ago, kemosabe said:

You reckon? I think most people know The Less I know The Better? I accept you could be right though. I think Arctic Monkeys in 2007 with just their first album would certainly of been recognised less though.

One advantage Glastonbury has is that it is such an institution, that I feel that if it says someone is headline status, then the public just assume they are headline size but they personally must just be out the loop (if that makes sense). The same goes for Billie Eilish or anyone I reckon. They become headline size if Glastonbury says they are, it is then just all about being able to deliver. 

The festival would also have the entire year to hype them, get people listening to them etc.. and even then, with their light show, they'd still impress people watching on the TV casually (or anyone in the field).  

Very hypothetical as it isn't happening!

Honestly do, yep.  Even with just their first album ...Dancefloor was EVERYWHERE. 

Put it this way.  I like my music, a lot. I listen to a wide range, not much Radio 1 but a lot of 6Music, Absolute, stuff like that.  And the only TI stuff I know by ear is off the new album.  Couldn't have named you one otherwise.  And in the course of general music chat at work, most people look blank when Tame Impala get mentioned. Ditto with a lot of the people I go to the festival with.

Small cross section admittedly so don't think it's foolproof by any stretch, but it's all I've got to work on!