2021 Headliners

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Aye, ignoring Hugh's trolling (I see you, Jass) it just shows that there is definitely an intangible "something" about who gets booked.

I'd probably have been there for Take That btw. Zero shame in a smashed singalong to Never Forget

Take That/1D were extreme examples I give you.

A more appropriate example would be Eminem - a critical darling in his early years, one of the most popular and successful rappers of all time, headlines festivals and stadia all over the world and yet he simply doesn’t feel like the right fit for Glastonbury. I cannot imagine the festival considering booking him.

(Ignoring the elephant in the room about how much he’d want for a second)

You're definitely in procurement in that case.

Someone I used to work with (different team) once collared me and said his cousin was thinking of getting into procurement, and asked if I had any useful suggestions.  I just told him that if his nephew places value on being liked or popular, he should consider something else...

It suits my somewhat prickly demeanour.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

It suits my somewhat prickly demeanour.

Hey, we've been working on this project for 18 months without talking to you, but we've been in conversation with these guys since the beginning and they know we want to work with them. Can you get at least 50% off the deal and get a 5 year contract in place? We need it signed by the end of the week otherwise it'll get escalated because you've delayed it. Oh, and we've changed the scope from what we told them but it shouldn't be a problem.

FML...

Just now, Quark said:

Hey, we've been working on this project for 18 months without talking to you, but we've been in conversation with these guys since the beginning and they know we want to work with them. Can you get at least 50% off the deal and get a 5 year contract in place? We need it signed by the end of the week otherwise it'll get escalated because you've delayed it. Oh, and we've changed the scope from what we told them but it shouldn't be a problem.

FML...

Have you been sitting next to me all this time?

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

A more appropriate example would be Eminem - a critical darling in his early years, one of the most popular and successful rappers of all time, headlines festivals and stadia all over the world and yet he simply doesn’t feel like the right fit for Glastonbury. I cannot imagine the festival considering booking him.

(Ignoring the elephant in the room about how much he’d want for a second)

On the fees I always come back to Springsteen.  Agents rejected the offer out of hand as I recall, so GF went straight to Bruce directly with a folder of the history and ethos and charity donations, and after that he agreed to the reduced fee.

Certainly shows that they go for who they want first, and then haggle.

23 minutes ago, Miyn said:

The 1975 // Macca // Arctic Monkeys

Or

The 1975 // Arctic Monkeys // Macca

Would be one of the best trio of pyramid headliners they could reasonably book for my taste.

It isn't very diversed at all, as they're all from the North, as well being all white males with guitars.

But I'd still enjoy it for what it is, a trio of bands that make music that I enjoy and would know most of the songs / lyrics, which is a pretty rare occurrence and an opportunity that should be made the most of.

Same for me 😊 I'd be happy with that

10 minutes ago, jparx said:

All right nerds, start a procurement thread or something!

Point taken :D

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Procure this 🖕

Calling it now, Dental is one of those bastards that changes scope and expects me to fix it ;)

OK, I'm done now.

19 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Not that extreme though. There was a point during their comeback when TT were being discussed on here as possible (albeit divisive) options, in much the same terms as Billie Eilish is today.

And I'm pretty sure at least one of the (former?) members of 1D has been touted as playing in the past. Maybe one of them even did.

Now, an extreme example would be Bieber. For a while he was undeniably big enough, so thank fuck that's not the only criteria.

Re: Coldplay and what they could/would do. considering the timing this year and when their debut had come out, I think they wouldve popped up and performed all of Parachutes. It wouldnt have been out of the realm of possibility. Minimal stage/backline set up, they fit that in plus a few hits in an hour. Thats special enough and not just chris martin showing up for anyone thats performing on the pyramid.

But yeah, the news of Kendrick gone is terrible and its a shame the top 3 names will just not be as impressive. But its all for show anyway, its not a requirement to see every headliner anyway, and there will be endless complaints about who it is, so why argue so much over it ya know? I know we all want it to be the best headliners ( in our minds ) but thats not always the case.

if you want an extreme boy band pop option, BTS is the answer. Would be an even bigger gamble than Stormzy was. Wont happen though, backlash for that would be immense and the audience isnt ready for Kpop yet

Edited by Suprefan

1 hour ago, incident said:

Not sure what relevance this is.

Boardmasters typically sells about 50,000 tickets these days, which puts them in the conversation for major acts. Obviously not all of their headliners are suitable for Glastonbury, but equally someone playing Boardmasters doesn't automatically mean they're not Pyramid level. Especially as even their weakest headliner probably gets paid more than any Pyramid act bar the Stones ever has.

Still always get a little chuckle out of how big Boardmasters has got in recent years. It was my first festival and was basically a vehicle for every teenager in Cornwall (including me) to go and do poppers and watch The Pigeon Detectives. 

It's actually quite impressive how they've quietly leveraged themselves as one of the major festivals over the last five years. They're certainly getting some big bookings. 

On the topic of Glasto headliners, George Ezra is the one act that I just do not get as a headliner. I absolutely accept that he'll probably do it within the next two or three years as he's massive and I don't begrudge it as I'd be elsewhere, but his tunes just do absolutely nothing for me. Seems like a nice guy and a big Glasto fan though, so fair play to the lad.

Edited by Zacko

4 minutes ago, incident said:

Not that extreme though. There was a point during their comeback when TT were being discussed on here as possible (albeit divisive) options, in much the same terms as Billie Eilish is today.

And I'm pretty sure at least one of the (former?) members of 1D has been touted as playing in the past. Maybe one of them even did.

Now, an extreme example would be Bieber. For a while he was undeniably big enough, so thank fuck that's not the only criteria.

Think TT were primarily being spoken about then as a Sunday Teatime Slot possibility weren't they?  Don't remember them being discussed as getting a top slot, but might be wrong

Think TT were primarily being spoken about then as a Sunday Teatime Slot possibility weren't they?  Don't remember them being discussed as getting a top slot, but might be wrong

You might be right. I had headline in my head mainly because prior to Kylie doing it, they'd have been almost unimaginably modern for the Sunday afternoon.

2 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

Is there a difference between Beiber headlining as opposed to someone like Ariana Grande?  I don't really see one

To me not really, but I'm pretty sure those more in the know about those artists could tell you why.  Neither are for me, and in my own inbuilt radar I don't think either of them are "right", but we've established over the last few years that I know the sum total of bugger all and should not be listened to :)

If it happens I'll just accept the inevitable and start reserving my spot at the Acoustic Stage for future festivals, and put myself out to pasture.

23 minutes ago, jparx said:

All right nerds, start a procurement thread or something!

It’s not as simple as starting a thread. First you have to define the requirement for a thread, then test the market to see what type of threads are available, check who the key stakeholders for such a thread would be...

I’m actually going to subcontract the starting of this thread to another forum user and will be running a rigorous and expensive tender process to find my ideal thread starter...

To me not really, but I'm pretty sure those more in the know about those artists could tell you why.  Neither are for me, and in my own inbuilt radar I don't think either of them are "right", but we've established over the last few years that I know the sum total of bugger all and should not be listened to :)

If it happens I'll just accept the inevitable and start reserving my spot at the Acoustic Stage for future festivals, and put myself out to pasture.

Looks like I'll be joining you then as I see no real difference either.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It’s not as simple as starting a thread. First you have to define the requirement for a thread, then test the market to see what type of threads are available, check who the key stakeholders for such a thread would be...

I’m actually going to subcontract the starting of this thread to another forum user and will be running a rigorous and expensive tender process to find my ideal thread starter...

Ron Swanson Computer GIFs | Tenor

• Upvote 1