Green Day (Hella Mega Tour - Potential Glasto Slot?)

RarerThanDandyB

1 minute ago, lukethekid said:

Do you not think the 50th anniversary possibly requires something that little bit more special?

I personally don't, no. If acts were more willing to be a part of the anniversary and they could get a really impressive lineup for the normal price then absolutely do it, but the 50th is where we're supposed to be celebrating Glastonbury's journey, rather than expecting Glastonbury to deliver beyond its means for its own birthday party. Obviously sound like a w*nker in saying this but I'm way more interested in how they commemorate things away from the main stages.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

If you carry on with this mindset you’re gonna have a bad time.

Glasto can only book who is available. They ain’t coachella. They don’t have $12 million to chuck at mega bands - they can only work with who approaches them wanting to play.

Also Green Day’s tour dates rule them out so they aren’t in contention for the 50th. Plus with the high possibility of Taylor Swift headlining the Sunday their chances are extremely low.

However as dental says they could headline any year.

Do you not think there is something in it for the artists as well though? To headline Glastonbury’s 50th anniversary? Quite a prestigious and honourable platform to showcase yourself. I’m surprised there aren’t a queue of bands knocking on The Eavis’ door to do it. I’m not arsed who does it, I just want to be there. 

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I personally don't, no. If acts were more willing to be a part of the anniversary and they could get a really impressive lineup for the normal price then absolutely do it, but the 50th is where we're supposed to be celebrating Glastonbury's journey, rather than expecting Glastonbury to deliver beyond its means for its own birthday party. Obviously sound like a w*nker in saying this but I'm way more interested in how they commemorate things away from the main stages.

Obviously it’s nice seeing the little nods to things away from the big stages, and I suppose they don’t need anymore popularity but it’s the big stages that get the TV time. So if they were to show the rest of the country / world that this is the greatest festival in the world and then added on top this is the 50th anniversary then there’s surely gonna be some added extras to the big stages. Do you think they could have held back on budget on this years lineup to add it to next years? 

Yeah Billie was at Glastonbury this year but their tour dates make it incredibly difficult for them to play. If they wanted to play why would they do it in a way which would make it hard work for them?

1 hour ago, lukethekid said:

Do you not think there is something in it for the artists as well though? To headline Glastonbury’s 50th anniversary? Quite a prestigious and honourable platform to showcase yourself. I’m surprised there aren’t a queue of bands knocking on The Eavis’ door to do it. I’m not arsed who does it, I just want to be there. 

I understand what you mean and there will be some acts that would happily play Glastonbury as a one off or whatever. But those will be acts lower down the lineup not the big guns.

Its very rare that a headliner will do something like Glasto as a one off, it will always be part of some larger tour or an album to promote. Glastonbury often accompanies a wider tour to the ensure that the band is actually making money.

Can you list some bands that you have in mind? Because it sounds like you’ve got an idea of who you’d consider worthy to headline the 50th.

If the bands you list are simply (a) not together, or (b) no plans to tour, or (c) no plans to tour because they have no material to promote - then prestige isn’t going to cut it. If you’re looking for bands who would drop everything to headline the 50th then your looking at Coldplay, not other bands!

1 hour ago, jonnyisRFC said:

Billie joe was at Glastonbury last year...

I agree though, I can’t see them headlining the pyramid. Secret set or headlining the other for me.

Billie Joe being at the festival for the day his son played at least means he has checked out the festival and seen what it's about (and I'm guessing a lot of time at Strummerville). However, it's a bit of a leap to think that the few hours he had on site would mean that he'll definitely be back at the earliest opportunity for a reduced fee and slot. I would imagine that there's a considerable list of famous musicians who have visited the festival but never played.

2 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Hi, Im American and live in LA. The Hollywood Bowl summer season won’t be announced until February next year. Its a seasonal venue despite the weather over here. You’ll have a good amount of choices since itll be right in the middle of the season. But don’t hope for a regular concert since the bowl mainly does classical, jazz and world music as its programming.  You can actually go into the venue during the day and even watch the orchestra practice if its an open rehearsal the night of a concert. The venue is on city property and considered a park, thus why you can do that. And Taylor Swift is playing the same night as Green Day, so you couldve had that in the bag instead of hoping for glasto! Concerts at Dodger stadium are ok. Since youre going to be in the upper deck, its really high up and distance is significant.  I saw Macca there 5 years ago and was sitting in a similar are Aas you will be. The sound was solid and im sure green day will be also. Itll be a good time. Ask me whatever else you want, i got the answers.

Thanks Suprefan, that’s really good of you. I’ve been looking at the Hollywood Bowl shows for this year, so know what sort of show to expect. Ozzy’s playing the day after we leave, but I expect we’ll be seeing something rather different. We’re only in LA for 4 nights, and want to pack a lot in. I will undoubtedly have questions - expect PM’s from me!

35 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah Billie was at Glastonbury this year but their tour dates make it incredibly difficult for them to play. If they wanted to play why would they do it in a way which would make it hard work for them?

I understand what you mean and there will be some acts that would happily play Glastonbury as a one off or whatever. But those will be acts lower down the lineup not the big guns.

Its very rare that a headliner will do something like Glasto as a one off, it will always be part of some larger tour or an album to promote. Glastonbury often accompanies a wider tour to the ensure that the band is actually making money.

Can you list some bands that you have in mind? Because it sounds like you’ve got an idea of who you’d consider worthy to headline the 50th.

If the bands you list are simply (a) not together, or (b) no plans to tour, or (c) no plans to tour because they have no material to promote - then prestige isn’t going to cut it. If you’re looking for bands who would drop everything to headline the 50th then your looking at Coldplay, not other bands!

I’m not going to list anyone for people just to shoot down reasons why they won’t play. Were The Cure playing around the time of this years festival? I just don’t think Green Day are big enough to do it anymore / too much of a particular band if ya know what I mean. 

3 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

I’m not going to list anyone for people just to shoot down reasons why they won’t play. Were The Cure playing around the time of this years festival? I just don’t think Green Day are big enough to do it anymore / too much of a particular band if ya know what I mean. 

The Cure played a huge European Festival tour and Glastonbury was squeezed into that. 

I don’t agree that Green Day aren’t big enough to do it anymore. But I guess we can agree to disagree. 

8 hours ago, henry bear said:

Thanks Suprefan, that’s really good of you. I’ve been looking at the Hollywood Bowl shows for this year, so know what sort of show to expect. Ozzy’s playing the day after we leave, but I expect we’ll be seeing something rather different. We’re only in LA for 4 nights, and want to pack a lot in. I will undoubtedly have questions - expect PM’s from me!

Yeah sure, ask whatever you like. Im still not confident ozzy will even perform. It will probably be postponed yet again in a few months. It will have taken him 3 years to play his “final” shows because of his health.

the Cure had more space on the calendar for their glasto appearance, thats what makes this so difficult. Radiohead was touring when they played and were in Dublin on the tuesday before, then didnt resume their dates until the following tuesday after the festival. Green Day is jumping from country to country, its much harder. I think the last I personally recall a  Major band that had a small gap in their tour dates then did glasto was Arcade Fire, but during The Suburbs, not when they headlined. They had a gap in their tour dates, played and then went to norway or something the next day.

Edited by Suprefan

16 minutes ago, priest17 said:

The fact that ol Bill Jay was at the farm this year and decided to tour the UK the weekend of the festival next suggests that he doesn't actually like the place.

No it doesn't, it suggests that the band can still get away with disappearing for a few years and returning with some big outdoor stadiums gigs. If they play Glastonbury I think you will have a lot of people feel that it's now been done 9n the grandest stage and their on stage novelties are enough for many once. A lot of people will see them at Glastonbury that otherwise may not whereas other acts headlining aren't so niche.

3 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

No it doesn't, it suggests that the band can still get away with disappearing for a few years and returning with some big outdoor stadiums gigs. If they play Glastonbury I think you will have a lot of people feel that it's now been done 9n the grandest stage and their on stage novelties are enough for many once. A lot of people will see them at Glastonbury that otherwise may not whereas other acts headlining aren't so niche.

You're suggesting here that acts putting on a good show at Glastonbury actually lowers interest in seeing them live?

36 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

You're suggesting here that acts putting on a good show at Glastonbury actually lowers interest in seeing them live?

It's funny you should say that because I feel the opposite. I watch bands I avoided at Glastonbury on the iplayer and I end up going to their gigs. Also, I often find that I go to a gig locally; then when it plays the Pyramid headline slot a couple of months later, or whatever, I just go and watch other bands. I've done  that both to Muse and Arctic Monkeys. Sometimes I find Pyramid headline slots unwatchable, I don't know why.

7 minutes ago, stt11 said:

It's funny you should say that because I feel the opposite. I watch bands I avoided at Glastonbury on the iplayer and I end up going to their gigs. Also, I often find that I go to a gig locally; then when it plays the Pyramid headline slot a couple of months later, or whatever, I just go and watch other bands. I've done  that both to Muse and Arctic Monkeys. Sometimes I find Pyramid headline slots unwatchable, I don't know why.

I feel that if you've got a Glastonbury ticket and been lucky, you've been able to watch them on the biggest stage if you like and given some are £80 I then find I'm kind of losing something by then going to see them after unless their newer material is really worth it. I enjoy Arctics in 2013 for example, The Stones the same year and Foo Fighters were good....I've never thought I got quite as much from them as a live act though as I have some others before. If it wasn't for the Foo's day at Reading this year then I wouldn't have parted money and think they probably had the edge at Leeds due to my position watching. Arctics meanwhile and The Stones I doubt I'd pay to go and see again now, Arctics I'd already seen before had at least once.

Probably isn't many headliners unless their undercards were top drawer that I would find worth the money to pay and see again since seeing there, maybe The Killers and The Verve I would but I think as I've seen Richard Ashcroft again now as solo he probably played everything I'd be interested in. It was a bit different when you could get a headline act in an arena for £30/35 and a stadium gig for £45 tops. I get back then the money different was the same in equivalent but I think £35/40 and £160/65 is still much different to £75/80 then £270. FATM might be an exception as when she played I left part way through to see Rudimental who I was bothered about at the time...I would have stayed had the previous year their set not been cut due to weather. I did see her sub Kasabian at Leeds in 2012 however but I think she's released good enough stuff to do it again.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I understand that and I get they dont want their stadium ticket money being taken by a bloody milk farmer, but the fact they're doing their tour the exact same weekend suggests he didn't really connect with the place. I get not playing it themselves, but clashing seems like they think glasto goers aren't Green Day fans. And also despite being in the country around the right time, he cant even really visit comfortably. 

You're right, I just dont think we're talking about the same point. We're pretty fond of worthy farm, I just dont think the members of Green Day and Weezer are as well.

13 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I understand that and I get they dont want their stadium ticket money being taken by a bloody milk farmer, but the fact they're doing their tour the exact same weekend suggests he didn't really connect with the place. I get not playing it themselves, but clashing seems like they think glasto goers aren't Green Day fans. And also despite being in the country around the right time, he cant even really visit comfortably. 

You're right, I just dont think we're talking about the same point. We're pretty fond of worthy farm, I just dont think the members of Green Day and Weezer are as well.

I don't think it matters about their tour or if he likes the festival, it's a bit more simple than that. 

I think it's important to know as well that many Americans don't know what Glastonbury is, a lot of American artists out the loop or not asked to play won't know and it's not s festival where pop punk has been widely booked as a genre that sometimes it's just not a big thing you're bothered about. There is no doubting Green Day are big enough to headline but I can't see them ever playing when they can sell London stadium....no doubt Wembley still after a little longer and could just play Reading the following year.

Weezer is quite clear, they know they are rare over here and if they go and play a small date also as a niche band that people jump on....how many are still going to pay their £55 Academy tour prices, I like them but I'd see them at Glasto and be okay that I've done it. They need to know whenever they cross the pond it's worth it for those prices.

11 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I don't think it matters about their tour or if he likes the festival, it's a bit more simple than that. 

I think it's important to know as well that many Americans don't know what Glastonbury is, a lot of American artists out the loop or not asked to play won't know and it's not s festival where pop punk has been widely booked as a genre that sometimes it's just not a big thing you're bothered about. There is no doubting Green Day are big enough to headline but I can't see them ever playing when they can sell London stadium....no doubt Wembley still after a little longer and could just play Reading the following year.

Weezer is quite clear, they know they are rare over here and if they go and play a small date also as a niche band that people jump on....how many are still going to pay their £55 Academy tour prices, I like them but I'd see them at Glasto and be okay that I've done it. They need to know whenever they cross the pond it's worth it for those prices.

Oh I dont know. Maybe the headliners were sorted for this year so even if BJ loved his experience for however long he attended, they knew they wouldn't play this year so weren't arsed about clashing with it. I dont have a clue. I'm mainly on this forum to hear about bands like Black Midi a year before my mates do.

Honestly though at this point we're disagreeing with each other but making the same point. Neither Green Day or Weezer want to play Glastonbury so theres little point hoping they do, they can make more money and whatever doing their own thing.

Really I'm just a bit miffed about the timings coz a trip up to huddersfield for those bands would have been a bit of a laugh.

10 hours ago, priest17 said:

Oh I dont know. Maybe the headliners were sorted for this year so even if BJ loved his experience for however long he attended, they knew they wouldn't play this year so weren't arsed about clashing with it. I dont have a clue. I'm mainly on this forum to hear about bands like Black Midi a year before my mates do.

Honestly though at this point we're disagreeing with each other but making the same point. Neither Green Day or Weezer want to play Glastonbury so theres little point hoping they do, they can make more money and whatever doing their own thing.

Really I'm just a bit miffed about the timings coz a trip up to huddersfield for those bands would have been a bit of a laugh.

I thought you were joking about him not liking the festival.

It really isn’t down to the bands’ personal interests that much. Of course they can have a say in it but people gloss over that a lot of these people just play live shows and take payment for it, and there’s a multimillion pound industry of trying to get the best payday for doing that, and a team of people for each band trying to tailor things for the parties who employ them.

Peeps are way too romantic as fans here in thinking that the frontperson of each band personally scopes out the site and then talks to Emily and Michael in the kitchen about their slot.

Would it not be massively beneficial for a band like Green Day to play the festival as it could bring them back in to the public eye a lot more due to the TV coverage? They’ve been gone for years. I think it could be quite funny actually watching the 3 of them hitting 50 playing music you’d expect a band in their 20’s to play.