Green Day (Hella Mega Tour - Potential Glasto Slot?)

RarerThanDandyB

8 hours ago, henry bear said:

I’m on the case. We’re in LA for 4 nights so I think we’ll have a good chance of seeing something in the Whisky, but the Forum less so - at least something we want to see. 

Whisky is a weird one, I thought it would be more like a bar that was open for a drink in the day but clearly not. 

As with the suggestion of Hollywood Bowl, you can go on a starline star homes tour which is actually quite good and they take you upto mullholland drive pull over on two spots where you can get a great view for a little period over LA itself and if you look to the side you'll see the Hollywood Bowl. 

9 hours ago, henry bear said:

I’m on the case. We’re in LA for 4 nights so I think we’ll have a good chance of seeing something in the Whisky, but the Forum less so - at least something we want to see. 

I went to the Whisky last year, there was a covers band on so I wasn't expecting much but in the crowd was Jesse Hughes from Eagles Of Death Metal, Duff from Guns n Roses along with another Guns n Roses member (I can't remember which one but maybe Izzy?) and at one point they just jumped the stage and started playing covers. :)

27 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Whisky is a weird one, I thought it would be more like a bar that was open for a drink in the day but clearly not. 

Whiskey is 24/7. Are you sure you didn't confuse it with the Rainbow restaurant that is connected to it? 

Edited by jump

13 minutes ago, Havors said:

Cant see them being a choice for 50th anniversary headliners personally... but who knows?? 

Maybe we will be spoilt because its 50th and they play support to someone else? Unlikely though. 

I'm still thinking Coldplay are dead certs haha

Yeah Green Day haven't put a tour out like that with even the thought of Glastonbury, had they left Saturday and Sunday day free I could speculate it.

Weezer also shows they have no intention.

2 hours ago, henry bear said:

It’s definitely on my radar, nothing listed yet for when we’re there. Have you been?

Only seen from the outside, the Greek Theater is another good option (Saw Aerosmith there), can't really comment on the LA Forum as was there way back in 1984 (Elton John).

Apart from music, if you haven't been, my favourite from a visit two years ago was walking up above the Griffith Observatory and watching the sunset from there, see my photo below:

530.JPG

Edited by Avalon_Fields
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, henry bear said:

Thanks for that. We’re having a fly-drive in the US in July and I’d like to take in some of the iconic LA venues if possible; the Forum, Whisky etc. Green Day are playing the Dodger Stadium on our last night before flying home and whilst I’m not a fan, my son is so using the code I’ve just bagged 3 x $29 tickets up in the gods, happy days!

The Forum isn't that spectacular - looks good from the outside but inside it's just a standard basketball arena, and it's not in a glamourous area (out towards the airport).

The Roxy is very near the Whiskey, and the Troubadour is not far, if you just want to tick off the famous venues.

(Edit)) Up in the gods at Dodger Stadium is perfect for baseball, looking out over the mountains, particularly at sunset, with a good view of the game - it'll still be fine for a gig and that's a bargain (big American gigs seem to do this tiered pricing well).

Edited by WFD

3 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Only seen from the outside, the Greek Theater is another good option (Saw Aerosmith there), can't really comment on the LA Forum as was there way back in 1984 (Elton John).

Apart from music, if you haven't been, my favourite from a visit two years ago was walking up above the Griffith Observatory and watching the sunset from there, see my photo below:

530.JPG

Here's one I took when I was there to meet Dave, my contact in the FIB.

513e7b gta5 2017 03 17 22 25 36 052

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Very unlikely I’d say. Apart from the fact that if they do Glasto it’ll mean 4 shows in a row, which they don’t do, this tour seems very rigid - same 4 bands playing every date everywhere. 

That's not actually true. Green Day start the tour on their own in May, then Weezer join them early June, and Fall Out Boy complete the pack in mid-June.

I think they're all unlikely but not equally so. Naturally because the other two are not headline-or-nothing.

51 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

That's not actually true. Green Day start the tour on their own in May, then Weezer join them early June, and Fall Out Boy complete the pack in mid-June.

I think they're all unlikely but not equally so. Naturally because the other two are not headline-or-nothing.

But by Glasto the Hella Mega tour will be underway and I can’t imagine them interrupting that to do a one-off on the farm. 

5 hours ago, lukethekid said:

Am I the only thinking they could headline The Other? Can’t see them doing The Pyramid, it isn’t 2003 anymore. Their popularity has surely vanished.

I wouldn’t say their popularity has vanished, just sold out 2 stadiums in the UK and bellahouston park 

On 9/17/2019 at 12:41 AM, henry bear said:

It’s definitely on my radar, nothing listed yet for when we’re there. Have you been?

Hi, Im American and live in LA. The Hollywood Bowl summer season won’t be announced until February next year. Its a seasonal venue despite the weather over here. You’ll have a good amount of choices since itll be right in the middle of the season. But don’t hope for a regular concert since the bowl mainly does classical, jazz and world music as its programming.  You can actually go into the venue during the day and even watch the orchestra practice if its an open rehearsal the night of a concert. The venue is on city property and considered a park, thus why you can do that. And Taylor Swift is playing the same night as Green Day, so you couldve had that in the bag instead of hoping for glasto! Concerts at Dodger stadium are ok. Since youre going to be in the upper deck, its really high up and distance is significant.  I saw Macca there 5 years ago and was sitting in a similar are Aas you will be. The sound was solid and im sure green day will be also. Itll be a good time. Ask me whatever else you want, i got the answers.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, foolee said:

I wouldn’t say their popularity has vanished, just sold out 2 stadiums in the UK and bellahouston park 

There’s 70 million people in the UK though and I’m sure some of them have bought tickets to go on a nostalgia trip. The last singles I remember them releasing were all about 15 years ago (I’m sure they have released music since). They’re surely not big enough anymore to headline the pyramid at Glastonbury.

3 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

There’s 70 million people in the UK though and I’m sure some of them have bought tickets to go on a nostalgia trip. The last singles I remember them releasing were all about 15 years ago (I’m sure they have released music since). They’re surely not big enough anymore to headline the pyramid at Glastonbury.

They are, yes. Nostalgia plays well at Glastonbury.

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They are, yes. Nostalgia plays well at Glastonbury.

Agree with you, it’s nice to go on a trip down memory lane. I’ve saw Green Day on numerous occasions and always loved their shows, I just think for the 50th anniversary could you see them plying the top slot on the pyramid? 

3 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

Agree with you, it’s nice to go on a trip down memory lane. I’ve saw Green Day on numerous occasions and always loved their shows, I just think for the 50th anniversary could you see them plying the top slot on the pyramid? 

No, I think their tour dates rule them out of it actually happening next year. But generally speaking, they are a Pyramid headliner and no less - be it the 50th anniversary, the 51st anniversary, the 57th anniversary, etc.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

No, I think their tour dates rule them out of it actually happening next year. But generally speaking, they are a Pyramid headliner and no less - be it the 50th anniversary, the 51st anniversary, the 57th anniversary, etc.

Do you not think the 50th anniversary possibly requires something that little bit more special?

5 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

Do you not think the 50th anniversary possibly requires something that little bit more special?

If you carry on with this mindset you’re gonna have a bad time.

Glasto can only book who is available. They ain’t coachella. They don’t have $12 million to chuck at mega bands - they can only work with who approaches them wanting to play.

Also Green Day’s tour dates rule them out so they aren’t in contention for the 50th. Plus with the high possibility of Taylor Swift headlining the Sunday their chances are extremely low.

However as dental says they could headline any year.

Edited by Matt42