Lessons from Valleyfest

Superscally

18 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

They played The Glade in 2010, same time as Stevie Wonder was on (or Ash in my case). A few of my mates went and said it was awful.

Really? I blew off Stevie to go watch them and they were fucking immense. But then they were playing quite a few tracks from Weapon and Levellers that I'd never heard live before. Either way, no regrets seeing them over Stevie

19 minutes ago, Quark said:

Really? I blew off Stevie to go watch them and they were fucking immense. But then they were playing quite a few tracks from Weapon and Levellers that I'd never heard live before. Either way, no regrets seeing them over Stevie

You must really like The Levellers..

2 hours ago, Skelts said:

You should get yourself to Beautiful Days mate, it’s not too far from you. They open it with an acoustic set and close it with a main stage gig. It’s a great festival ?

ive been tempted on several occasions ... its just getting friends to do it .... my best mate that I do festivals with uses his allowance from the wife on Glastonbury .... of course I could do it solo .. will mull it over :) 

16 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm getting old.

Me too, I remember hearing the Levs when we were stood at the back of Pyramid, couldn't remember who it was after, but would not have put it at 9 years ago. That is insane. At the time I was kicking myself for not making a move as soon as Stevie finished, or even before he finished, as I do love a Levellers live gig, and I bet The Glade would have been rocking.

I have seen Razorlight at least once (Eden Project), and the Levellers many many times, first back in the late 80s at G and then at a one day festival in Cornwall and at several BDs, Wychwood (1 or 2 times?), G 2008. Anyway, I would seek out a Levellers gig over a Razorlight gig any day of the week, even though I have seen them many times. Their shows are never disappointing.

Having typed all of that I am also thinking, hmm, Razorlight would actually be quite fun, so I am back with the OP, not a bad band for some greatest hits in a field.... Other Stage opener, Avalon at some point, as at least one other person has said above!!

20 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Went to Outcider festival at Fernhill farm, not far from Pilton this weekend. Lessons learned: Glastonbury really needs a good cider bar somewhere.

They had one near Williams Green a few years ago (see "getting old" comment above, but I would say it was in the last 4 festivals). I can't do cider, it wrecks my guts. Occasional Cider Bus pint, didn't even have one of those this year. Did a Brothers Bar Thursday once but paid a heavy price!!!

2 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

That first Cast record was an absolute corker.

Ben

source.gif.1f18efc20adff3c2722a9059486f568c.gif

Who are you and what have you done with Ben?

But yes is was, 2nd one wasn't too shabby either. I saw them last year and they were excellent, worth the entry fee just to watch Skin perform witchcraft on his guitar.

Festival near me had Pete Docherty playing. People were getting excited about it!

If people are still interested in hearing him then I have absolutely no doubt Razorlight still have an audience.

Only song I liked of theirs was "America", but probably only because it was on the soundtrack to a particularly awesome road trip round America, otherwise I'd probably hate that too.

Glastonbury 1997, Cast are on the Pyramid, having mud hurled, as the way with many acts that weekend.  I was at our camp in Row Mead. 

John Power in light coloured clothing. 

"At least I can write songs, non of yous can throw mud" 

And on the word 'mud', he was hit, right in the swingers. 

As this is the only pleasurable memory I can associate with this abomination of a band, I am not prepared to check YouTube for its veracity. 

15 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

source.gif.1f18efc20adff3c2722a9059486f568c.gif

Who are you and what have you done with Ben?

But yes is was, 2nd one wasn't too shabby either. I saw them last year and they were excellent, worth the entry fee just to watch Skin perform witchcraft on his guitar.

I'm not allergic to the geeetar, y'know...

Saw them at Brixton Academy in 19whatever and they were ace. Songwriting was a real cut above a lot of the Britpop landfill doing the rounds, and to lump them in with the likes of the insipid Razorlight, Snow Patrol, Embrace identi-dull lot is not on!

Sandstorm, Fine Time, History - Indie bangers the lot of them! The opening riff to History, with its clever delay, brings back brilliant memories of my formative years...

Ben

15 hours ago, bombfrog said:

Festival near me had Pete Docherty playing. People were getting excited about it!

If people are still interested in hearing him then I have absolutely no doubt Razorlight still have an audience.

Only song I liked of theirs was "America", but probably only because it was on the soundtrack to a particularly awesome road trip round America, otherwise I'd probably hate that too.

Just Pete Doherty or the Libertines or what?

The Libertines definitely still have more of an audience than Razorlight.

Saw them last year at my local festival and they were pretty decent.