Bring back Blur

Zoo Music Girl

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

and being there for MJs death ... I messaged my friend to tell him ... during a lightning storm if I recall ? 

Aye, I was playing frisbee in the campervan fields and laughed it off as a joke, was a bit hard to ignore every stall playing MJ the next day though. Before everyone took their smart phones with them.

1 minute ago, priest17 said:

Aye, I was playing frisbee in the campervan fields and laughed it off as a joke, was a bit hard to ignore every stall playing MJ the next day though. Before everyone took their smart phones with them.

and the days of texts taking ages to get through too ... 

2 minutes ago, priest17 said:

you missed a cracking Black Eyed Peas set on the Sunday night.

2009 was the first trip for my daughters (18 & 15 at the time and so chaperoned at night). As myself and the eldest had tickets for Hyde Park the following weekend i gave in to my youngest pleas for us to get over to West Holts instead, for her real 'must see' of the weekend..

At the cries of "Hello London...." from Will.I.Was, my edest stomped off to sit on the benches by the WH Bar and stay there with a mardy face for the rest of the set....

Still hasnt forgiven her. (Tender wasnt the night)

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Not wanting a band to play because they were really good last time is one of the most bizarre comments peddled on this board.

There’s not much in it for the band though, and it seems like nobody interested in the possibility can mention them coming back without saying something about the last time they played. It’s a big shadow to be cast over the whole thing.

Ultimately, they are good performers and a good band but their music has dated considerably, they haven’t really done much since last time and people only seem to want it to happen to emulate something that they saw/missed in 2009. A strong ‘hell no’ should be stamped on this one.

21 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

2009 was the first trip for my daughters (18 & 15 at the time and so chaperoned at night). As myself and the eldest had tickets for Hyde Park the following weekend i gave in to my youngest pleas for us to get over to West Holts instead, for her real 'must see' of the weekend..

At the cries of "Hello London...." from Will.I.Was, my edest stomped off to sit on the benches by the WH Bar and stay there with a mardy face for the rest of the set....

Still hasnt forgiven her. (Tender wasnt the night)

Ahahah yeah the collective cringe at Hello London was a hell of a moment. Me and my dad had wandered up to The Park to see Cold War Kids (when they were good) subbing and were meeting my sister and her boyfriend around there for some reason and ended up watching it. Had a great time, danced to boom boom pow, was a fun night, none of us really knew that much Blur anyway so didn't really think we were missing much. 

I still maintain I probably had as much fun there as I would have at Blur. The plus side is the rest of the world isn't as sycophantic about that set as the people on here are. The bad side is I spend more time on here than with the rest of the world.

Nah. There's not that many big bands left. Saying no to one just because they were good last time is bizarre, not to mention pretty selfish for those who've never seen them.

I've seen Blur loads in my lifetime. Southend Cliffs Pavilion around the release of Blur was well up there, but Glasto remains my favourite. That said I've seen them twice since and they were great both times, only issue being Hyde Park sound levels. Didn't come away thinking "good but not as good as Glasto 2009 so wish I hadn't come". They've got the songs, they put on a show, I'm a nostalgia junkie as are many others. No way it wouldn't be a good show.

How is it okay for Coldplay to play every fucking year then? Have they still not had that one great show? If such a thing exists.

Also that Radiohead show was great in 2017 but I'm sure the ones I wasn't at were probably better. Do people think they shouldn't have done it?

Get me in that field singing along to For Tomorrow, This Is A Low, The Universal and Tender and I'll be happy as a pig in the proverbial. Bring Cave back to sub and you have the makings of a great one.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Nah. There's not that many big bands left. Saying no to one just because they were good last time is bizarre, not to mention pretty selfish for those who've never seen them.

I've seen Blur loads in my lifetime. Southend Cliffs Pavilion around the release of Blur was well up there, but Glasto remains my favourite. That said I've seen them twice since and they were great both times, only issue being Hyde Park sound levels. Didn't come away thinking "good but not as good as Glasto 2009 so wish I hadn't come". They've got the songs, they put on a show, I'm a nostalgia junkie as are many others. No way it wouldn't be a good show.

How is it okay for Coldplay to play every fucking year then? Have they still not had that one great show? If such a thing exists.

Also that Radiohead show was great in 2017 but I'm sure the ones I wasn't at were probably better. Do people think they shouldn't have done it?

Get me in that field singing along to For Tomorrow, This Is A Low, The Universal and Tender and I'll be happy as a pig in the proverbial. Bring Cave back to sub and you have the makings of a great one.

I imagine the band are the ones more likely to say no. Are they selfish?

Coldplay being back every few years is detestable, but they are still one of the biggest touring, releasing bands. It’s more comparable to The Who doing it in ‘15; great band, not up to much now, would be good for people who didn’t see it the previous decade but really?

Radiohead was great, and they released four albums - one counted among their strongest - in the interim. And still, I could have totally understood if they didn’t want to return.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I imagine the band are the ones more likely to say no. Are they selfish?

Coldplay being back every few years is detestable, but they are still one of the biggest touring, releasing bands. It’s more comparable to The Who doing it in ‘15; great band, not up to much now, would be good for people who didn’t see it the previous decade but really?

Radiohead was great, and they released four albums - one counted among their strongest - in the interim. And still, I could have totally understood if they didn’t want to return.

Of course the band aren't selfish for not doing it. Was referring to people who say they saw them last time and don't want to again so they shouldn't play. How is that not selfish? Just see something else if you don't want to taint the memory.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Of course the band aren't selfish for not doing it. Was referring to people who say they saw them last time and don't want to again so they shouldn't play. How is that not selfish? Just see something else if you don't taint the memory.

Okay I get ya. I would encourage them to make new memories also.

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

There’s not much in it for the band though, and it seems like nobody interested in the possibility can mention them coming back without saying something about the last time they played. It’s a big shadow to be cast over the whole thing.

Ultimately, they are good performers and a good band but their music has dated considerably, they haven’t really done much since last time and people only seem to want it to happen to emulate something that they saw/missed in 2009. A strong ‘hell no’ should be stamped on this one.

Not much in it for the band? Give over.

”Fancy headlining the best festival in the world again lads?”

”Nah you’re alright, we were ace 10 years ago so we’ll just stay at home and watch it on the tele”. 

1 minute ago, nikkic said:

Not much in it for the band? Give over.

”Fancy headlining the best festival in the world again lads?”

”Nah you’re alright, we were ace 10 years ago so we’ll just stay at home and watch it on the tele”. 

Well that’s literally what we’ve heard from someone with loose links to the band, that they don’t wanna do it again. Damon seems to have been more bothered about covering new ground at the fest with his other ventures in recent years. Why the hell wouldn’t they have headlined on the 2015 album tour if they were getting right back to it?

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Well that’s literally what we’ve heard from someone with loose links to the band, that they don’t wanna do it again. Damon seems to have been more bothered about covering new ground at the fest with his other ventures in recent years. Why the hell wouldn’t they have headlined on the 2015 album tour if they were getting right back to it?

Because 2020 is nearly twice as long between appearances.  11 years is the same gap as last time.