Yacht Rock

ModernMan

I usually enjoy all music documentaries where the subjects speak with passion about a music they love to listen and/or create.  The Yacht Rock documentary was one such programme.  However the vast majority of the music was so unspeakably bad I couldn't finish it.

Ever listened to any Toto music other than Africa or the Dune soundtrack?  It's not pretty listening.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I usually enjoy all music documentaries where the subjects speak with passion about a music they love to listen and/or create.  The Yacht Rock documentary was one such programme.  However the vast majority of the music was so unspeakably bad I couldn't finish it.

Ever listened to any Toto music other than Africa or the Dune soundtrack?  It's not pretty listening.

Saw Toto in France last year, they were terrific. In Hold the Line and Rosanna they have two other stone cold classics. The rest of the stuff is a mixed bag verging on lounge and jazz, but they are very fine musicians. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Homer said:

Weezer play Africa in their live sets if that helps (and Take on Me). They did at Nos Alive last summer anyway (off their last album). It was good fun.

Toto's response was a live cover of Hash Pipe

Edited by Quark

56 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I fucking hate the widdly widdly, look upon my jazziness and my suspended chords twats.

50 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I loathe Steely Dan, despite so many musicians raving about them.  It's dead behind the eyes music.

Beautifully put, both. Likewise, I’ve never been able to get in to remotely get in to them, despite feeling that I should from all the music write-ups. Totally lifeless. Save for ‘Reeling in the Years’ which is a proper tune from before they became entirely sterile.

12 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I fucking hate the widdly widdly, look upon my jazziness and my suspended chords twats.

11 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I loathe Steely Dan, despite so many musicians raving about them.  It's dead behind the eyes music.

Come on fellas this is an amazing song. 

2 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Come on fellas this is an amazing song. 

Don’t understand the hate for the Dan on here and yes, Peg is a banger!

The whole yacht rock thing is a bit of a non-event though - retrospectively fitting a new name to a genre that is pretty much dead and didn’t really need one.