Struggling Enthusiasm

priest17

No it's not a hidden gem on the line up...

Firstly, I get nearly everyone on here is hyped up to the max. I'm really not trying to take anything away from that and having been nearly every go for the last 10 years I'm very used to that. Hope everyones enjoying it.

But is anyone (like me) kind of struggling to drum up excitement for whatever reason? Whether it be work or mental health (both of these for me) or whatever else (not lineup or weather concerns)? It might just be me, a rule I have with the internet though is that if anyone asks if it's just them it definitely isnt.

We can maybe get each other out of the funk? I dunno. I'm a big fan of the place but I've not even started planning it yet. After coming on here every day through the fallow year, going through all the ticket stress, checking the headliner thread on nights out, to feel this disconnected less than 2 weeks away is getting me a bit down.

I hope this doesn't come across too dickish to anyone without a ticket, do feel free to shout abuse if it is.

Or just ignore this whole thing and let it float into page infinity obscurity ahah.

Peace x

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

For me its the weakest musically since I have been going from 2010 but I know that random fun will fill my heart.

I am sure when you are there the release valve will happen and for 5 days you can forget about the outside world and have a ball ?

• Upvote 2

I get you @priest17and although I've been more than most I simply don't have the energy to keep up with the enthusiasm level of many of the posters here, in terms of how much they consider and discuss the festival. Yet despite that when my modest levels of involvement are more than my wing(wo) man. She books the time off and gets her stuff ready, but doesn't get time for much else. She's often the lucky one that gets the tickets though ?

Nowt for you to worry about, you're going and you've been loads, so you know what it's like and where things are.

You've probably got a kit list somewhere, if not there's obviously plenty here. Presumably you've got many of the things you need to take from previous visits.

Slap on a playlist sometime maybe commuting or something? I found a bunch of things I'd never heard of that sound interesting. I certainly feel enthused once I get there. 

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

Firstly, I get nearly everyone on here is hyped up to the max. I'm really not trying to take anything away from that and having been nearly every go for the last 10 years I'm very used to that. Hope everyones enjoying it.

But is anyone (like me) kind of struggling to drum up excitement for whatever reason? Whether it be work or mental health (both of these for me) or whatever else (not lineup or weather concerns)? It might just be me, a rule I have with the internet though is that if anyone asks if it's just them it definitely isnt.

We can maybe get each other out of the funk? I dunno. I'm a big fan of the place but I've not even started planning it yet. After coming on here every day through the fallow year, going through all the ticket stress, checking the headliner thread on nights out, to feel this disconnected less than 2 weeks away is getting me a bit down.

I hope this doesn't come across too dickish to anyone without a ticket, do feel free to shout abuse if it is.

Or just ignore this whole thing and let it float into page infinity obscurity ahah.

Peace x

My excitement peaked a few weeks back. Right now I'm just uber obsessive about the weather. For me I always get a lull in the immediate build up to any event whether it's Christmas, Madrid a couple of weeks ago or Glastonbury. It's like I get excited, then closer to the event I'm a bit apathetic and then last minute go up to a million again. 

• Upvote 1

For instance I booked Madrid for the CL final in March. I'm an obsessive football fan at the best of times and was right up to the moment I knew Liverpool were in the final. Then I was almost (but not quite) disinterested in that particular game (which I'd been borderline manic about) for almost a month . And then I didn't sleep the 2 nights leading up to the final. I wish sometimes my interest in things could be more linearly distributed. 

Then regardless of how unbelievable the experience is I will inevitably (particularly after glastonbury given the chemical aids and alcohol) feel empty for a week or so and find it hard to readjust to normal life 

Edited by gherkin8r

Yeah I think they’ll be lots on here that can relate. I was the same in the lead up to 2016. Had some life and family shit going on and just didn’t care enough to motivate myself in the same way. I just went through the motions and felt very flat in the lead up. But as soon as I put the tent up and cracked open a cider I felt a huge sense of release of stress and anxiety and had a fab festival. I’m sure you will too. 

Edited by ManchesterGlasto
Spelling
  • Like 1

yes, I can understand, this will (hopefully) be my 20th Glastonbury, which should be something to shout about, but my partner of about 14 years recently decided that we were 'too different' and we split up, which has entailed her preparing to buy me out of our house, so I am looking for somewhere to live quite soon, which is quite a lot to think about , logistically and emotionally.

However, I have a bunch of friends also going to the festival, so it'll be good to see them and try not to worry too much about whats coming up in my life. I'm sure it'll all work out in the end.

I think as soon as you start gathering your stuff together, pack everything for the journey, start the journey and then see those signs on the approach to the site you will start to get those butterfly feelings that - yes I am here again and it’s Glastonbury and it’s going to be great. Whatever the weather or whoever is playing, it kind of feels like coming home for Christmas- you know there are going to be some annoying relatives, it may get a bit messy and you might overdo it, but it’s comforting, you have your little routines and traditions and it will be over far too quick. When you leave again you may have a sense of relief that it’s over but an immense satisfaction that you were there, you had some great surprise presents to take away with you, you ate and drank too much but it was worth it. 

Dont worry about feeling a bit meh at the moment. For those who haven’t been before it’s like their first Christmas or holiday abroad- they get well over excited. You will get into the mood once you have set up, got your first pint in your hand ( or drink of choice) and the magic starts to happen around you. 

I hope you have a fantastic time and switch off from the crap world for 5 days. You know you will be worrying about getting tickets again by October!! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, paulshane said:

yes, I can understand, this will (hopefully) be my 20th Glastonbury, which should be something to shout about, but my partner of about 14 years recently decided that we were 'too different' and we split up, which has entailed her preparing to buy me out of our house, so I am looking for somewhere to live quite soon, which is quite a lot to think about , logistically and emotionally.

However, I have a bunch of friends also going to the festival, so it'll be good to see them and try not to worry too much about whats coming up in my life. I'm sure it'll all work out in the end.

Hope everything works out for you without too much undue fallout fella. Glastonbury can be a perfect opportunity to escape from the travails of normal life. Hopefully it serves as a refresher for you. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Hope everything works out for you without too much undue fallout fella. Glastonbury can be a perfect opportunity to escape from the travails of normal life. Hopefully it serves as a refresher for you. 

cheers :) yes, a week away from everything should help me prepare for the future I reckon

17 minutes ago, paulshane said:

This post affected me deeply. In 2017 I was at my third Glastonbury with my partner of 11 years thinking everything was amazing. Three weeks later she told me she wanted to leave me for somebody else and just like that she was gone out of my life. 

Now, two years later, I’m off to Glastonbury with my new partner (her first time) and life is great again. It feels like the beginning of something new and I could never imagine that two years ago. 

So so I guess all I’m saying is that everything will get better, no matter how low you may feel now. And Glastonbury is a perfect place to reflect on it all. Enjoy yourself x

• Like 5
  • Upvote 5

14 minutes ago, paulshane said:

cheers :) yes, a week away from everything should help me prepare for the future I reckon

Regardless of whether or not that is the case I wouldn't worry. Its only a big party at the end of the day and real life issues sometimes take priority. As @ModernMan's story proves though it's not a permanent feeling. 

• Upvote 1

It happens, just accept that this one will be a bit different and go have a different time. There's no reason you have to be feeling screaming crazy about it - can just be like coming back home and comfortable. 

Here is full of fanatics, proper crazies who spend time ranting on the internerds to each other about glasto this glasto that and glasto the other - it can feel like a lot of pressure to be as excited but it's just the internerds. Many of the wild-eyed thrills they're anticipating wouldn't turn your head, they're psyched up about their particular festival. This year that's not your thing.

Can be a lovely change to watch the festival heave and shift and change rather than being caught up in the swell, instead taking a short swim when you fancy and admiring the view - it's just different and wonderful in a different way.

Probably be back getting all silly about it next year :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, priest17 said:

Peace x

You must be freakin' Tripin' bro...

Hi, I don’t post very often but do enjoy reading threads. I had to say something on this as your post really resonated with me. For a start, I hope you are OK with your mental health issues and huge props for being able to talk about it. I have had mental health issues for about 3 years now, it came on due to the collapse of a business I owned (small) it’s taken my wife and I 3 years of hard graft and to get ourselves afloat again. One thing I learned on my journey is things you can control and enjoy doing really focus on them, the things you can’t will happen anyway so why use up valuable energy trying to fight them. People as well, surround yourself with people you want to be near, people who add nothing to your life again don’t spend energy or time on them.

i hope you have an amazing festival, and use it as a time to escape what’s happening currently in your life. I am 6ft 6 and will have glitter in my beard, will be in Glade a lot so come say hello. 

Ignore any negative comments in here, put those people into the category of people who you don’t need in your life.

now go buy some cider and hand sanitiser and will see you on the battlefield 

cheers 

jamie 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, paulshane said:

Hey man. This is eerily similar to me. My wife and I split in February and were going through the same house stuff, she is buying me out etc. Luckily we're on very good terms, we have a 2 year old as well. But yeah, I'm currently living between my parents and a friends house is taking it's toll mentally before I can find my own place... Which is a daunting prospect. I've gone from knowing exactly what my future holds, to be totally and utterly uncertain. 

I feel like I physically need this festival this year to escape. We'll be ok, everything will be alright. 

• Upvote 1

Commiserations to all the lost souls on this thread. I had a ticket for this year but ain't going as I've recently split up with my fiancee (who I was due to go with.) I hope everybody stays strong and has a great festival. Positive vibes to anyone who's struggling or feeling underwhelmed at the moment. x

46 minutes ago, PaintedInSand said:

Hey man. This is eerily similar to me. My wife and I split in February and were going through the same house stuff, she is buying me out etc. Luckily we're on very good terms, we have a 2 year old as well. But yeah, I'm currently living between my parents and a friends house is taking it's toll mentally before I can find my own place... Which is a daunting prospect. I've gone from knowing exactly what my future holds, to be totally and utterly uncertain. 

I feel like I physically need this festival this year to escape. We'll be ok, everything will be alright. 

You gotta laugh.

In a similar boat here. Work has been very stressful and I've also been going through some counselling recently in order to deal with some not very pleasant things that happened to me much earlier in my life. I've been feeling generally down and haven't been sleeping properly and all this is leading me to feel more worried about the festival than excited for it, really. Coupled with the fact that I'm performing and that brings it's own stresses, including the organisation of equipment, sorting my performers ticket (never really properly confirmed until you're holding it, and that only happened yesterday!), rehearsing etc.

Pretty sure I'm just venting at this point, but I'm right with you lot in being unable to feel too jazzed about this year's festival.

Having said that, I think that once I'm driving through Shepton Mallet and get my first glimpse of the festival lights, park up, set up my tent, and crack open a cider I'll be on top of the world. 

Hang in there everyone!

Felt this way in 2017 after the biggest overhaul in my life so far. Really tough 6-7 months and then with Glastonbury on the horizon there was very little excitement at all. And that's with Radiohead headlining. I had given up going to the festival until a few days before and sorted it all out very last minute.

There may not be an easy solution to drum up your excitement levels at this stage. I know how depression alters your mindset and it's not an easy funk to get out of at all. I certainly don't think any tip I could give you (make a playlist, make your clashfinder etc.) will give you the solution.

It's OK not to feel really hyped at this stage. People think that's how they should feel at this point, but the reality is Glastonbury can be a big source of anxiety/nerves for some, and if you have real life issues getting in the way, you may not have the mental energy to feel hyped. Remember that while a lot of people may seem really hyped, for a lot of people that will be a way of coping with anxiety or real life issues, and they may well feel the same as you deep down. 

Try and take comfort in knowing you'll have a fantastic time once you arrive. It's hard not to leave real life at home once you pass through those gates. Once I arrived on site in 2017, all of my worries/depression took a back seat. That festival acted as a real turning point for me. If there's one place to cleanse your soul, it's Glastonbury.