Watching an act with dodgy a rumour about them

Homer

I'm gonna chime in here, yes we want people to listen to victims but certainly not at the expense of due process and innocent until proven guilty. Yes the law is an ass, its an imperfect system and we already have trial by media. But as was noted earlier by Mark that the landlord was hounded and harrassed by the media because he was a bit odd. That didn't mean he was a murderer. 

Trial by media is horrific for everyone and I personally would prefer for nobody to be named unless they are proven guilty. It can have an effect on a trial and the jury if something is all over media, social or otherwise. 

We also see this already where people share pictures of someone who has apparently tried to kidnap a kid from a playground with no police comments. This is so open to abuse and I shudder everytime I see those shares with no actual backup. 

Now in a quandary over Bjorn Again - decided against starting a new thread about it for the good of humanity though...

You're so hot
Teasing me
So you're blue but I can't take a chance on a chick like you
It's something I couldn't do
There's that look
In your eye
I can read in your face that your feelings are driving you wild
Ah, but girl you're only a child
Well, I could dance with you honey
If you think it's funny
Does your mother know that you're out?
And I could chat with you baby
Flirt a little maybe
Take it easy (take it easy)
Better slow down girl
That's no way to go
Does your mother know
Try to cool it girl
Take it nice and slow
Does your mother know
I can see
What you want
But you seem pretty young to be searching for that kind of fun
So maybe I'm not the one

(copied and pasted - but on an iPhone ?)
Edited by Homer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Homer said:

Now in a quandary ...

Just go and watch them.  Even if they were the antichrist, you've already paid for your ticket so you're not adding any more to their demonic coffers.  I'd still listen to Michael Jackson or The Smiths records - I'm fairly sure it won't result in me being brainwashed into attending my local nazi paedophile coffee morning.

Denying your enjoyment of art because of some dark side of the artist is a short-cut to a life listening to Cliff Richard (unless the police were right about him after all...)  All humans will have thought, said and done some despicable stuff in their lives so striving for perfection is an impossible task.  Just enjoy the good stuff - the music, literature, paintings or whatever, and don't buy into any dark side.  And the irony here is that at the heart of the 'dark side' are the tabloid press and social media who are constantly stirring up witch-hunts by whispering to us a false mantra that the world really IS black and white, us and them, good and evil etc.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, H.M.V said:

I'm gonna chime in here, yes we want people to listen to victims but certainly not at the expense of due process and innocent until proven guilty. Yes the law is an ass, its an imperfect system and we already have trial by media. But as was noted earlier by Mark that the landlord was hounded and harrassed by the media because he was a bit odd. That didn't mean he was a murderer. 

Trial by media is horrific for everyone and I personally would prefer for nobody to be named unless they are proven guilty. It can have an effect on a trial and the jury if something is all over media, social or otherwise. 

We also see this already where people share pictures of someone who has apparently tried to kidnap a kid from a playground with no police comments. This is so open to abuse and I shudder everytime I see those shares with no actual backup. 

Yep, there's a mate from school who is always sharing vigilante shit. I called him out on it for a while, after doing actual research and occasionally finding out he was sharing fake information.

His position was that if his sharing helps catch the bad guys it's worth it. Couldn't change his mind. Infuriating.

38 minutes ago, Homer said:

Now in a quandary over Bjorn Again - decided against starting a new thread about it for the good of humanity though...

You're so hot
Teasing me
There's that look
In your eye
If you think it's funny
Flirt a little maybe
Better slow down girl
That's no way to go
Does your mother know
Try to cool it girl
Take it nice and slow
Does your mother know
I can see
What you want
So maybe I'm not the one

Whilst that's not the kind of lyric that a pop band would write today, it's not particularly* problematic - he's telling her he's not interested because she's too old. Despite leading with "you're so hot, teasing me", the girl's feelings are the focus of the song, not the old man wanting to do something pervy to her.

Bjorn is a bit embarrassed about that song, but I don't think he should be ashamed about it.

* It depends on quite how young the girl is supposed to be.

44 minutes ago, Homer said:

You're so hot
Teasing me
There's that look
In your eye
If you think it's funny
Flirt a little maybe
Better slow down girl
That's no way to go
Does your mother know
Try to cool it girl
Take it nice and slow
Does your mother know
I can see
What you want
So maybe I'm not the one

upvote for the copy & paste skillz

20 hours ago, Homer said:

Thanks - that's the conclusion I've come to (in an extremely roundabout way - it's been a bit of a rollercoaster!).

It's a double-whammy of delight too - as I'm going to celebrate the innocent until proven guilty principle by dusting off all my old Jim Davidson live VHS tapes and watching them all back-to-back tonight.

Saw his live show after being told he was clear of all allegations.. Half the place was empty and he was like well there you go shit sticks.. I used to sell out this place.. 

Anyway he told us about what actually happened and how he was treated all the way making it funny and how he was getting on with life helping veturens etc and how much money he had lost because of the claims.. It was really sad..

But he also said that it's gone SOOO far now that anyone could be put in to that position.. 

Met him outside the gig and said hi etc he was really nice.. Then he jumped in HIS car and drove himself of to his hotel...due to the financial situation he was doing it all himself. 

Still a very funny man and I hope he does well 

1 hour ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

The variety of viewpoints is what makes this site so special.  My view is that Jim Davidson is an arsehole and I hope he gets cancer.

Views are views old son but leave the cancer out of it Yea.. I have a friend with only month to go from that shit............... 

50 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

My view is that anyone who wishes cancer on someone else is an arsehole.

I think it was a bad joke.

As it was about Jim Davidson I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. Big break was terrible viewing, something about him and Virgo made me concerned for the contestants welfare.

The theme tune was good though.