2020 headliners

jj200

3 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

At least 1 headliner will be handwritten inside one of the signed Glastonbury 50 books. 

That would be just their style.

I’m going to forensically check my book as soon as it arrives, I’ll most likely wreck it desperately searching for clues or free tickets. 

1 minute ago, mattiloy said:

I would like one of these to be bumped up to headliner one day: The National, LCD Soundsystem, New Order, Nick Cave, Sigur Ros.

New Order have already headlined. Nick Cave could do it one day, but no chance on the others.

1 minute ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I’m going to forensically check my book as soon as it arrives, I’ll most likely wreck it desperately searching for clues or free tickets. 

How about a random single letter underneath the signatures.....an anagram across multiple books to be cracked.....

1 minute ago, mattiloy said:

It does seem a lot like the formula in recent years is: one golden oldie, one festival mainstay, one newcomer. In which case you can kiss your kendrick, Taylor axis good bye.

I don't think any of 2019, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 etc etc fit that.

7 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

I would like one of these to be bumped up to headliner one day: The National, LCD Soundsystem, New Order, Nick Cave, Sigur Ros.

I bloody love Sigur Ros, they headlined the JP tent in 2016 - I’d far rather they do that again than play the pyramid. I mean they ain’t gonna headline the pyramid, it’s not even up for debate, but even if they did - a smaller, intimate stage is a far better thing for them. 
the sound in the JP that night was absolutely fucking amazing btw. The whole shebang. Possibly the best thing I’ve ever witnessed at Glastonbury! 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I don't think any of 2019, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 etc etc fit that.

Okay i guess, golden oldies can be, 1) undeniably big, at least two successful decades, 2) the festival mainstay is, solid back catalogue big from sometime in the 2000s onwards and the newcomer is the 3) 2010s number being given a leg up

1) the Cure 2) the killers 3) stormzy

1) radiohead 2) foo fighters 3) ed sheeran

1) coldplay 2) muse 3) Adele

1) the who 2) foo fighters 3) Kanye (by original billing)

1) Metallica 2) AF 3) kasabian

1) Stones 2) arctic monkeys 3) mumford & co

Edited by mattiloy
Edit
  • Upvote 2

Just now, thrillhouse188 said:

The Killers? Headlined before, secret set 2017, although I guess “established modern festival headliner” would be more accurate

They also headlined this year plus Elton is ruled out as he's doing shows on 26th and 27th June in USA. 

Coldplay might be more likely 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I bloody love Sigur Ros, they headlined the JP tent in 2016 - I’d far rather they do that again than play the pyramid. I mean they ain’t gonna headline the pyramid, it’s not even up for debate, but even if they did - a smaller, intimate stage is a far better thing for them. 
the sound in the JP that night was absolutely fucking amazing btw. The whole shebang. Possibly the best thing I’ve ever witnessed at Glastonbury! 

True. I teared up. It was astonishing. But they have the ingenuity to take it onto the big stage I know it. They’re geniuseseseses.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

True. I teared up. It was astonishing. But they have the ingenuity to take it onto the big stage I know it. They’re geniuseseseses.

It’s hard not to sound like a big knobhead when I say this, but yer pyramid crowd will be 75% stood around going “WHATS THIS? I CANT UNDERSTAND WHAT HES FACKEN SAYING” and they’ll drift off to other stages after no more than ten minutes. It just doesn’t have mass appeal.

They want Coldplay, they want Adele, they want the 197fucking5. Bland, nonspecific platitudes repeated ad nauseum. Good luck to em I guess! I realise I’m being a big Radiohead-style snobby twat, but there ya go. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

It’s hard not to sound like a big knobhead when I say this, but yer pyramid crowd will be 75% stood around going “WHATS THIS? I CANT UNDERSTAND WHAT HES FACKEN SAYING” and they’ll drift off to other stages after no more than ten minutes. It just doesn’t have mass appeal.

They want Coldplay, they want Adele, they want the 197fucking5. Bland, nonspecific platitudes repeated ad nauseum. Good luck to em I guess! I realise I’m being a big Radiohead-style snobby twat, but there ya go. 

Yeah the same.

But i always labour under the assumption that those folks like that stuff because its just whats in front of them. Whats accessible, what they’re told is popular. If you put Sigur ros in front of em and tell em that this is whats popular, maybe they’ll cop on and have the time of their lives. Maybe.

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

Excellent memory.

I'm pretty convinced about Neil's theory that Foals are lined up as sub currently but will get the bump if someone falls down.

I don't want The 1975 for many reasons but that stupid praying/worship emoji really grinds my gears 

Does the promise of a bump up steer towards a Macca type act? How much risk is there in the likes of a Swift/Kendrick drop out to have a band the size of Foals ready to jump in if needed?

They surely won’t sub a 1975 level act either, would be very confusing in terms of size/genre of music.

6 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Yeah the same.

But i always labour under the assumption that those folks like that stuff because its just whats in front of them. Whats accessible, what they’re told is popular. If you put Sigur ros in front of em and tell em that this is whats popular, maybe they’ll cop on and have the time of their lives. Maybe.

It's the music off of Planet Earth and when people go through in X Factor, not Metal Machine Music.

43 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Felt the same about M83 that year.

Stage show and visuals were great, and going from banger to banger to the more intimate tunes to what was a pretty empty tent for a headliner (was up against Adele tbf), but wouldn’t have picked another stage for them to headline or be on.

Think the likes of a Sigur Ros or M83 would get swallowed up on Pyramid/Other, and any crowd just hanging around for the next act after them would spoil the party a bit because I feel both acts are an acquired taste of sorts. 

I think both would work well on West Holts/Park headline slots though too.