2020 headliners

jj200

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Just bumping this thread so we can actually start discussing the festival again...

When do we reckon Kenny will get announced? Any word on when BST will be announced? (assuming that's still on?)

Looking at other festivals, seems like Glastonbury will end up with the most impressive set of headliners next summer. I don't feel like that's been the case in recent years, so they've really pulled it out the bag.

There won’t be any BST (or other festival) announcements until the end of the month at the earliest I’d wager.

Glasto is different in that it can announce any time they want but don’t see it any time soon for some reason. Reminds me of last year when everyone knew The Cure were headlining and had a string of festivals announced early, yet GF wasn’t announced until the poster drop IIRC.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Dude I’d never heard of nick cave until I started going to Glastonbury. I don’t think I know a single person who is a fan of him.

Maybe it’s just my circles but I’d feel comfortable in saying more people have heard of Kendrick Lamar in my friendship groups, in my office and on the street than Nick Cave.

Some people on here hadn’t heard of Kendrick Lamar until he was rumoured. They’re music fans the same as you.

When it comes to Glastonbury, why is it that you think a rapper who hasn’t played the festival is more well known a name than a fella who has played an evening Pyramid slot something like four times?

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

@SwedgeAntilles to possibly save face do you mean all three headliners waaaay before the poster drop? Because that would narrow it slightly.

It would be interesting to have all three before feb and then a wait for the poster in April.

That moment has long passed.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Dude I’d never heard of nick cave until I started going to Glastonbury. I don’t think I know a single person who is a fan of him.

Maybe it’s just my circles but I’d feel comfortable in saying more people have heard of Kendrick Lamar in my friendship groups, in my office and on the street than Nick Cave.

I've definitely dated a few guys who have been well into Nick Cave, to the extent that they wouldn't stop droning on about how amazing he was. One of them even had a tour t-shirt from some year or other.

However, this may well say more about my taste in men than the general public...particularly as, despite the above, when he came out with Kylie I still didn't have a fucking Scoobie who he was. 

1 hour ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Upon closer inspection it also happened in 2016 and 2017...

1 hour ago, stuie said:

And 2008 & 2009.

So quite often really!

I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed. 

See also:

2000, 2010 & 2015

The lesser visited "When does...." page is your friend.

https://theglastonburythingy.weebly.com/when-does.html

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed. 

See also:

2000, 2010 & 2015

The lesser visited "When does...." page is your friend.

https://theglastonburythingy.weebly.com/when-does.html

haha I didn’t really have time to look into it! I knew it happened in 2009 because it was our first one and I remember us chatting about it for a while! 

1 minute ago, The Red Telephone said:

Apropos of nothing, I have just been watching some of U2’s headline set in 2011.

I didn’t go that year, but they look and sound really good.

They got the setlist largely right (only 1 song that hadn't charted), However a lot of people are down on the set, I think mostly because those of us watching it in the field got absolutely drenched.

So yeah, the stars didn't really align but it was about as good as it could have been in the circumstances.

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It was awful. They tried gamely but the weather made it unbearable.

11 minutes ago, incident said:

They got the setlist largely right (only 1 song that hadn't charted), However a lot of people are down on the set, I think mostly because those of us watching it in the field got absolutely drenched.

So yeah, the stars didn't really align but it was about as good as it could have been in the circumstances.

I know their set gets a terrible rep on here, and generally, but it doesn’t look that bad from a YouTube perspective....

Have absolutely no recollection from watching it on TV on the night (but can remember all of Beyonce’s set from the same year)

And I really only like the bangers from The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby.

Was the weather that bad or did they not play well?

Also, did the tax protests have an effect on things?

Edited by The Red Telephone

28 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Kendrick and Nick produced the 2 greatest albums of the decade so of you don't know either of them don't worry, there's plenty of embarrassment for everybody!

Greatest albums? Based on what criteria? How is one album ‘greater’ than another? Utterly bizarre concept. Everything is just personal opinion, you like something or  you don’t. A bunch of chin strokers all getting in a room and deciding one album is ‘greater’ than another is a bit sad, it means nothing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

They played fine. I enjoyed it, but I would have enjoyed it more on literally any other night.

The weather really was that bad - it was by far the worst weather of any headline slot in the past (at least) 15 years.

5 minutes ago, incident said:

They played fine. I enjoyed it, but I would have enjoyed it more on literally any other night.

The weather really was that bad - it was by far the worst weather of any headline slot in the past (at least) 15 years.

I was going to say that ... looking back at youtube ... but bizarrely I cant remember it being that wet ;) must have been my glasses fogging up ... watching it back now just look at the water on the tv lens ... its wet !!

Edited by crazyfool1

1 minute ago, Smeble said:

Greatest albums? Based on what criteria? How is one album ‘greater’ than another? Utterly bizarre concept. Everything is just personal opinion, you like something or  you don’t. A bunch of chin strokers all getting in a room and deciding one album is ‘greater’ than another is a bit sad, it means nothing.

Not a bunch chin strokers, just this one. 

3 minutes ago, incident said:

Shame really..although Bono seems a twat of the highest order, I’ve seen stuff about The Edge having a soft spot for Glastonbury and wanting to smash it.

Incidentally (geddit?) I got onto this subject by watching an episode of Only Fools and Horses which had “Stay (Faraway, So Close)” playing in the background of the Nag’s Head. Love that song and the Glastonbury version is one of the first things you click on on YouTube.

19 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Great meaning large or immense. We use it in the pejorative sense.

(about Ghosteen)

22 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

I know their set gets a terrible rep on here, and generally, but it doesn’t look that bad from a YouTube perspective....

Have absolutely no recollection from watching it on TV on the night (but can remember all of Beyonce’s set from the same year)

And I really only like the bangers from The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby.

The weather was that bad.

Plus you can never fully escape the knowledge that Bono is a massive twat.

On 12/31/2019 at 8:34 PM, Freddyflintstonree said:

As if I have to add ANOTHER band I like to the list of 'everyone on efests hates'. Beginning to think I'm best off elsewhere! 

Edit : Happy New Year! 

I would watch blossoms haha ! Not the only one

Think they have some catchy tunes.

• Upvote 1