The Volunteering thread 2019

FestiZebra

Does anyone know if you can leave your car parked in the normal fields until the Tuesday morning. Working until after midday on the monday and we will be too tired to do a 7/8 hour journey home straight after so want a good sleep before heading back. Staying in the crew fields so i know that isnt an issue but will leaving the car parked until the tuesday morning be an issue?

Just now, mikehawk said:

How do tickets work for volunteers? Should I expect a standard ticket through the post any time now or is there a different system in place?

Short version is that it varies quite a bit depending on who you're working for and sometimes on what your role / arrival day is. Some will send you a ticket, some will ask that you arrive at a specified gate and go to an accreditation point, some based outside the fence will ask that you arrive at their campsite first.

6 minutes ago, mikehawk said:

How do tickets work for volunteers? Should I expect a standard ticket through the post any time now or is there a different system in place?

I'm working for Avalon events via Shelter and we are being given wristbands on our coach when we arrive at Worthy Farm on the Tuesday morning.

1 hour ago, Doug85 said:

Does anyone know if you can leave your car parked in the normal fields until the Tuesday morning. Working until after midday on the monday and we will be too tired to do a 7/8 hour journey home straight after so want a good sleep before heading back. Staying in the crew fields so i know that isnt an issue but will leaving the car parked until the tuesday morning be an issue?

Shouldn't be at all. Possible on Tuesday you may be able to drive on site to pick up your stuff instead of lugging it back. Has been before no idea what it will be this year

11 minutes ago, mikehawk said:

I get a letter and need to present that to the recycling crew cabin outside the gate to get my wristband

20 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Shouldn't be at all. Possible on Tuesday you may be able to drive on site to pick up your stuff instead of lugging it back. Has been before no idea what it will be this year

Cheers, I did wonder if we would be able to do that and driving on to collect my stuff would be a hell of a lot easier. I just didnt want them to tow my car or anything cos it was left in the car park until the Tuesday but surely there will be plenty of other staff working after the festival too. 

2 hours ago, Doug85 said:

Cheers, I did wonder if we would be able to do that and driving on to collect my stuff would be a hell of a lot easier. I just didnt want them to tow my car or anything cos it was left in the car park until the Tuesday but surely there will be plenty of other staff working after the festival too. 

there is various crew parking fields - it all depends who you are working for - if you are parked in the Normal parking then I would advise you stick a note on the dashboard - it cant do any harm and at least they have a number to contact you if there is a problem.Lots of the parking staff are not Stewards so its best if you don't take any chances.With Glastonbury its always wise to think ahead.

Just now, glasto-worker said:

there is various crew parking fields - it all depends who you are working for - if you are parked in the Normal parking then I would advise you stick a note on the dashboard - it cant do any harm and at least they have a number to contact you if there is a problem.Lots of the parking staff are not Stewards so its best if you don't take any chances.With Glastonbury its always wise to think ahead.

Working for recycling and staying in Tom's field. So I will be arriving early on the sunday/monday and have a Crew parking pass but I may just put a note on the dashboard as well in case there are any issues. 

6 minutes ago, Giraffe Man said:

Recycling parking tickets are usually the general ones have you got yours yet?

Not yet , should be here this coming week. I remember it being a different parking pass than to normal as it wasn't the usual stick on the window style that i'd had previous 

15 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Recycling Crew - has anyone had their letter yet? 

I'm getting slightly nervous because we keep getting post delivered for a similar address that isn't us, and I'm guessing they're getting my post.... 

Not yet. They did say early June but I've been checking the post box every day in hope 

Does anyone fit this bill ?

Glasto obsessive, knows the site inside out, physically fit, mature, reasonable, assertive, diplomatic, calm, clear thinker, team player, willing to take responsibility, utterly reliable under stress, committed to making everyone's festival a little bit better, available Tues - Mon, able to meet in Mid Somerset in the next few days.

If you want to make the switch to volunteering this could be your chance, it is absolutely NOT a free ticket. Please think carefully before pm me as I don't want to waste anyone's time.

3x8 hour shifts 1 of which will be a night shift.

1 hour ago, jmarmer said:

Does anyone fit this bill ?

Glasto obsessive, knows the site inside out, physically fit, mature, reasonable, assertive, diplomatic, calm, clear thinker, team player, willing to take responsibility, utterly reliable under stress, committed to making everyone's festival a little bit better, available Tues - Mon, able to meet in Mid Somerset in the next few days.

If you want to make the switch to volunteering this could be your chance, it is absolutely NOT a free ticket. Please think carefully before pm me as I don't want to waste anyone's time.

3x8 hour shifts 1 of which will be a night shift.

@Ozanne

• Upvote 1

Afternoon all!

Can any Oxfam volunteer veterans tell me what the situation is with wearing a hat on shift? ie. Are you allowed to wear one?

As it's going to be hot and sunny (obvs), and I'm paler than a very pale thing, I'm a fan of a hat at a festival (plus it hides the mop).

I've previously volunteered with Festaff (hat allowed) and worked for DC (their own rather fetching fluorescent cap required), but this is my first time volunteering with Oxfam.

I'm looking to the infinite wisdom contained on this here thread to help me out ?

Cheers x

1 minute ago, mazola said:

I did the online training with Oxfam last night, they said there are no restrictions on what you wear as long as you have the tabbard on.

there's no way my bonce would cope without a hat

Marvellous, thanks. I clearly wasn't paying enough attention in my training session! 

37 minutes ago, Dr Glasto said:

Can any Oxfam volunteer veterans tell me what the situation is with wearing a hat on shift? ie. Are you allowed to wear one?

I obliged my gate stewards to wear one in 2017 when we were working Sunday, Monday, Tuesday because it was so hot - mandatory PPE in my view.  If they didn't have one, they got a horrible Oxfam provided thing!

• Like 1