The Volunteering thread 2019

FestiZebra

2 hours ago, jfaragher said:

Glastonbury never fills in priority (though some other festivals with smaller crews do).  There's about 2500 places, and they keep an unspecified amount back for the main admission, but in the couple of weeks its priority only you can get a place.  Doesn't stop us all pilling on as soon as it opens and stress testing (breaking...) the application system though.

well I had priority with Oxfam this year and after a few days there was people posting on here that they were able to access the system even although they did not have priority - now I don't know if these are false claims or if there was a balls up but it certainly was not a few weeks.

Just now, glasto-worker said:

well I had priority with Oxfam this year and after a few days there was people posting on here that they were able to access the system even although they did not have priority - now I don't know if these are false claims or if there was a balls up but it certainly was not a few weeks.

From what I remember, they were able to access the system, in that they could log in and get to the "add a festival page", which then appeared blank as no events were available to them yet. Don't think there was any suggestion that anyone was able to actually sign up for a festival ahead of when they were supposed to.

3 minutes ago, incident said:

From what I remember, they were able to access the system, in that they could log in and get to the "add a festival page", which then appeared blank as no events were available to them yet. Don't think there was any suggestion that anyone was able to actually sign up for a festival ahead of when they were supposed to.

read the first post that started this thread - Oxfam told me it was open 5th of February and the first person to post on this thread who did not have priority was 12th February

Image1.thumb.jpg.92257c4d1624f7d7c620d0e6aad4b648.jpg

2 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

read the first post that started this thread - Oxfam told me it was open 5th of February and the first person to post on this thread who did not have priority was 12th February

That's still entirely how it's supposed to be though?

Priority applications opened Feb 5th. Public applications opened Feb 12th.. Those were the publicised dates.

8 hours ago, incident said:

That's still entirely how it's supposed to be though?

Priority applications opened Feb 5th. Public applications opened Feb 12th.. Those were the publicised dates.

jfaragher wrote 'Glastonbury never fills in priority (though some other festivals with smaller crews do).  There's about 2500 places, and they keep an unspecified amount back for the main admission, but in the couple of weeks its priority only you can get a place'

I responded to that post 

'well I had priority with Oxfam this year and after a few days there was people posting on here that they were able to access the system even although they did not have priority - now I don't know if these are false claims or if there was a balls up but it certainly was not a few weeks.'

the whole point was they gave the impression 'in the couple of weeks its priority' when I knew it was not a Couple of weeks'

and it was not a Couple of weeks

Still ticketless so still looking for volentueer work if any comes up or anyone has any suggestions? Regularly checking oxfam for drop outs and on the waiting list for poocrew. Not willing to work 13 hour night shifts for CTM. Any help appreciated. 

13 minutes ago, James96 said:

Might be a dumb question but these 'early' shifts with Oxfam, at what point are they early - pre-Thursday? I am hoping to try and get shifts under my belt before Friday onwards (as are most I assume) - but haven't been allocated into early shifts yet - so I'm guessing I haven't been given them?

As I understand it, if you get early shifts they’ll all be completed by Wednesday. 

Otherwise, shifts will be spread out and you’ll be on one of these kind of shift patterns. This isn’t from this year but it’ll be something like it. 

243B23D9-D4E0-4252-80F7-1CB037442124.jpeg

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

As I understand it, if you get early shifts they’ll all be completed by Wednesday. 

Otherwise, shifts will be spread out and you’ll be on one of these kind of shift patterns. This isn’t from this year but it’ll be something like it. 

243B23D9-D4E0-4252-80F7-1CB037442124.jpeg

Perfect, thank you for this!

4 hours ago, James96 said:

Might be a dumb question but these 'early' shifts with Oxfam, at what point are they early - pre-Thursday? I am hoping to try and get shifts under my belt before Friday onwards (as are most I assume) - but haven't been allocated into early shifts yet - so I'm guessing I haven't been given them?

Early shift emails usually go out a couple of weeks before the festival - any day now I reckon. 

1 minute ago, belle365 said:

I was not quick enough - but I will keep trying.

If I manage to get one but my partner does not would I lose my payment if I did not go? I don't really want to leave him behind and go on my own

If you cancel within a week of booking - no.

After that - yes.

2 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Is that due to you knowing you would call every half hour and tell him how brilliant it is and you are having a great time ;) 

? that and it is his birthday so I'd feel really bad him missing out 

1 hour ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Anybody aware of any bartender roles going at Glastonbury for either fully paid or volunteer work?

well unlikely you would get a volunteer slot so close as I would expect Shelter/Avalon wait list would be massive - all the WBC slots were sorted out Months ago - there is a few independent bars but where they get their staff from I don't have a clue.There is supposed to be over 100 bars be it public or staff bars but I suspect many use Agency staff but don't know which agency.

Note agency staff tend to work longer shifts than volunteers

Shelter/Avalon tends to look for volunteers in March - the WBC does not openly recruit from the public and even many established WBC volunteers with many years experience did not get a place this year due to the amount wanting to do it.

good luck.

32 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

well unlikely you would get a volunteer slot so close as I would expect Shelter/Avalon wait list would be massive - all the WBC slots were sorted out Months ago - there is a few independent bars but where they get their staff from I don't have a clue.There is supposed to be over 100 bars be it public or staff bars but I suspect many use Agency staff but don't know which agency.

Note agency staff tend to work longer shifts than volunteers

Shelter/Avalon tends to look for volunteers in March - the WBC does not openly recruit from the public and even many established WBC volunteers with many years experience did not get a place this year due to the amount wanting to do it.

good luck.

Thanks for the info!

Fortunately i bagged myself a ticket back in October, so this is just for my friend. H works full time as a bar tender and has just managed to land some bar work at another festival, so all of a sudden he's now on a mission to see if he can get work at any others, in particular Glasto! 

Ive told him to email around and hope theres a few last minute places.

16 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Thanks for the info!

Fortunately i bagged myself a ticket back in October, so this is just for my friend. H works full time as a bar tender and has just managed to land some bar work at another festival, so all of a sudden he's now on a mission to see if he can get work at any others, in particular Glasto! 

Ive told him to email around and hope theres a few last minute places.

well that will help with agency work but for Shelter/Avalon I don't even think they ask if a person has bar experience !!!! but if he is a 'personal licence holder' then he would go to the top of the tree - so make sure he mentions this - I know people who forget they are a PLH - I know it sounds daft but each year they have a frantic search to try and find their ID pass.

see this link

https://www.google.com/search?q=bar+work+glastonbury&oq=bar+work&ibp=htl;jobs&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjpjofbs8XiAhWqWhUIHXgsBzYQp4wCMAF6BAgJEAc#htidocid=kAilAEwog_eYe0LdAAAAAA%3D%3D

Image664.thumb.jpg.39e7bf64a4a153dd445a0e37f6ab6a14.jpg