2019 Possibilities (Non Pyramid Headliner)

Doug85

Looking at the lineups for the midsize UK festivals that are starting to get relased, what really stands out is the lack of depth. All the money spunked on 3 big name headliners, and a couple of big subs, then a swathe of really really small (and presumably cheap) bands. I guess the only way to survive is to punt all your money on a couple of big names to draw the punters in. Maybe a result of the fierce competition in that sector. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

Oh I don't think he'll headline the Pyramid, but may be a 2019 possibility...

It'd be a crime putting him anywhere else. Maybe next year if they do actually have a mega mythical 2020 line-up but I'd rather him wait and headline 2021.

That photo is just from Glastonbury though, hence why its been tagged, can't see him being there this year without anything new out.

4 minutes ago, priest17 said:

It'd be a crime putting him anywhere else. Maybe next year if they do actually have a mega mythical 2020 line-up but I'd rather him wait and headline 2021.

That photo is just from Glastonbury though, hence why its been tagged, can't see him being there this year without anything new out.

Hasn't he subbed the Pyramid the last two times though? Would new material be enough for him the clinch the top spot? Genuine questions as his music isn't really on my radar!

2 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

Hasn't he subbed the Pyramid the last two times though? Would new material be enough for him the clinch the top spot? Genuine questions as his music isn't really on my radar!

He moved from Apollos to Arenas last tour and his last album seemed to raise his profile somewhat. Personally I reckon if The Cure can do it he can, although I don't think they;d have both the same year, or even years back to back. It'd be a new headliner though, and you'd do well to find a bad report from any of those arena gigs as well, he's got it in him.

In reality it's a discussion more than a fact though. 

3 minutes ago, priest17 said:

He moved from Apollos to Arenas last tour and his last album seemed to raise his profile somewhat. Personally I reckon if The Cure can do it he can, although I don't think they;d have both the same year, or even years back to back. It'd be a new headliner though, and you'd do well to find a bad report from any of those arena gigs as well, he's got it in him.

Ah fair - I guess time will tell and in the meantime I'll have a listen!

48 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Nick Cave is nowhere near as popular as The Cure.

1 minute ago, zeppelin said:

Can someone tell me where to start with Nick Cave? 

By all accounts he's someone I should love, but I've never been exposed to any of his music, and have no idea where to begin. 

I am in a similar position, asked for Lovely Creatures, his best of, on vinyl for Christmas and am enjoying it.

Edited by Hugh Jass
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

last 3 times on the sunday - to Pulp, Blur, and & Mumfords...

Ah hadn't realised it was three times, thanks!

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Definitely, most of the general population will at the very least have heard of The Cure and know the likes of Friday I'm in Love. Cave would mostly elicit "who?" and "the bloke who did the Peaky Blinders song?"

4 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

Can someone tell me where to start with Nick Cave? 

By all accounts he's someone I should love, but I've never been exposed to any of his music, and have no idea where to begin. 

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I am in a similar position, asked for Lovely Creatures - his best Of on vinyl for Christmas and am enjoying it.

And these points to me at least partly evidence why I can't see him headlining!