The 1975 2020

Mash011

Can't see how anybody could put them in the same indie landfill bucket with Courteeners and Catfish. Even a cursory listen to their top tracks on Spotify would show somebody that they are at least "different". Whether you like them or not is another matter but there's nobody quite like them.

I initially wrote them off as a manufactured pop band because they were promoted alongside other manufactured pop bands, but a couple of years ago I heard a couple of tracks of their on the radio and though "that's not bad actually", very poppy but poppy in a good way. I think the first might have been called "Somebody else".

Last year they came back with a track called "Give yourself a try" which I REALLY liked, so decided to dig a little deeper. I've since discovered 6 or 7 tracks which are in heavy rotation on my Spotify playlist and watched them on telly doing the Radio 1 thing earlier this year and they absolutely smashed it. The lead singer is actually a very good singer and has the necessary personality.

Moreover, they seem like they really do mean it, they're definitely not the manufactured pop band I wrote them off as, even if they do have a young fan base.

I'd certainly be watching them, unless they clash with Daft Punk.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

FWIW he wasn’t calling people retarded, he was saying we will be living in a retarded society if we continue not to properly address climate change over the next few years. Also he’s apologised, for however much that makes any difference.

Yeah I couldn't remember the exact quote but in this 'cancellation'/easily offended culture, the context is irrelevant anyway. It didn't matter who or what he was referring to. The backlash was purely because he used a word many people deem inappropriate to use in any context. Response was most certainly unjust. 

I've not got anything massively against the 1975, they're okay, abit too emo/poppie for my liking, but is this really the best the UK can produce for the next generation? We've gone from Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Elton to the 1975? When all the heroes of the 60s and 70s clog it, future headliners are going to be on the thin side to put it lightly 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I've not got anything massively against the 1975, they're okay, abit too emo/poppie for my liking, but is this really the best the UK can produce for the next generation? We've gone from Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Elton to the 1975? When all the heroes of the 60s and 70s clog it, future headliners are going to be on the thin side to put it lightly 

Do you expect them to become instantly legendary when their debut came out like 6 years ago? The 1975 are a great band and will absolutely smash it. Comparing them to The Rolling Stones is just a total waste of time.

20 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

The last British band to shoot up like they did was Mumford & Sons in 2012. Before that it was Kasabian and before that you’re in Arctic Monkeys time.

Really nothing has changed. The exact same criticisms were being thrown around for those British bands that came before them.

The 1975 are just the next chapter of the older generation hating newer bands.

EDIT: Also - as I’ve said before. The 1975 have had major commercial success in all three albums and have only continued to grow as time goes on. They already met the standard that other bands reached to be considered headliners. I don’t really know what else they need to do to get “qualified”

Edited by Matt42

46 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Can't see how anybody could put them in the same indie landfill bucket with Courteeners and Catfish. Even a cursory listen to their top tracks on Spotify would show somebody that they are at least "different". Whether you like them or not is another matter but there's nobody quite like them.

I initially wrote them off as a manufactured pop band because they were promoted alongside other manufactured pop bands, but a couple of years ago I heard a couple of tracks of their on the radio and though "that's not bad actually", very poppy but poppy in a good way. I think the first might have been called "Somebody else".

Last year they came back with a track called "Give yourself a try" which I REALLY liked, so decided to dig a little deeper. I've since discovered 6 or 7 tracks which are in heavy rotation on my Spotify playlist and watched them on telly doing the Radio 1 thing earlier this year and they absolutely smashed it. The lead singer is actually a very good singer and has the necessary personality.

Moreover, they seem like they really do mean it, they're definitely not the manufactured pop band I wrote them off as, even if they do have a young fan base.

Disagree but it goes to show how music is subjective. To me they are the archetypal manufactured pop band.

The Singer is bad, nasally, whiney. The only good/interesting things about the records is the production. The melodies are not remotely interesting, the lyrics are not remotely interesting. Polished turd.

To prove myself right I checked out an acoustic set - npr tiny desk concert - on youtube and it is shocking. The kind of stuff that would make you drink up and bolt if it came on in your local. You wouldn’t give him a crumpled up receipt if he was busking. Bad songs. Good production. Because the record industry backed them to sell. And they did.

30 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The last British band to shoot up like they did was Mumford & Sons in 2012. Before that it was Kasabian and before that you’re in Arctic Monkeys time.

Really nothing has changed. The exact same criticisms were being thrown around for those British bands that came before them.

EDIT: Also - as I’ve said before. The 1975 have had major commercial success in all three albums and have only continued to grow as time goes on. They already met the standard that other bands reached to be considered headliners. I don’t really know what else they need to do to get “qualified”

Whilst I agree with a lot of this and think the 1975 probably deserve recognition with a headline slot (and will get one), I'm not sure the criticisms are exactly the same. For people who love rock music, the 1975 rising to the top (ish) amongst young British bands is a rational cause for concern given the style of music (poppy, heavily auto-tuned) and is the source of the 'one direction with guitars' jibe. The same can't be said for the likes of Kasabian and Arctic Monkeys (though a dramatic change in style certainly relevant for TBHC and draws similar complaints from rock lovers). So in short, I think it's more a style than age thing. Not 1975's fault of course, there are just fewer great rock bands emerging (or becoming very popular, at least) and if there were, the 1975 wouldn't be compared to rock bands, they'd just be seen as the pop band that they are.

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Not exactly.  There's been plenty in between.  40 years' worth.  Too much to be listed here!

52 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Whilst I agree with a lot of this and think the 1975 probably deserve recognition with a headline slot (and will get one), I'm not sure the criticisms are exactly the same. For people who love rock music, the 1975 rising to the top (ish) amongst young British bands is a rational cause for concern given the style of music (poppy, heavily auto-tuned) and is the source of the 'one direction with guitars' jibe. The same can't be said for the likes of Kasabian and Arctic Monkeys (though a dramatic change in style certainly relevant for TBHC and draws similar complaints from rock lovers). So in short, I think it's more a style than age thing. Not 1975's fault of course, there are just fewer great rock bands emerging (or becoming very popular, at least) and if there were, the 1975 wouldn't be compared to rock bands, they'd just be seen as the pop band that they are.

Is anybody claiming The 1975 to be a rock band?  That's a touch of false equivalency, I think.  They're a pop act - in many ways more directly comparable with Fleetwood Mac and Elton John than FM and EJ would be with the Rolling Stones -  and there's nothing wrong with that.

59 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

For people who love rock music, the 1975 rising to the top (ish) amongst young British bands is a rational cause for concern given the style of music (poppy, heavily auto-tuned) and is the source of the 'one direction with guitars' jibe. 

Dude Coldplay have headlined many times and pop artists have headlined.

Is about as pop as it gets.

If the older folk are worried about pop bands headlining Glastonbury I wonder if they’ve been in the last 15 years.

9 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Is anybody claiming The 1975 to be a rock band?  That's a touch of false equivalency, I think.  They're a pop act - in many ways more directly comparable with Fleetwood Mac and Elton John than FM and EJ would be with the Rolling Stones -  and there's nothing wrong with that.

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Dude Coldplay have headlined many times and pop artists have headlined.

Is about as pop as it gets.

If the older folk are worried about pop bands headlining Glastonbury I wonder if they’ve been in the last 15 years.

I think they are viewed largely in the context of guitar music yeah. You always hear things like 'this generation's arctic monkeys' or something about them being the band of the 'millennial' (hate the term) generation. Obviously pop acts have headlined yes, I'm sure what you're getting at with that, Matt - that's quite a different thing and isn't what I'm talking about. If the 1975 headline, they will likely take up a 'band' headline slot with the likely contrast of a pop/hip hop act on other nights rather than having 2 rock bands and the 1975. Imagine it'll be a non-rock act up against them on the Other too.

My point is that many feel the 1975's style epitomises a shift away from rock because the guitar music they're making is so poppy, so I understand the fear in that way (rather than it being a simple as old men moaning about any young bands). But like I said, not the 1975's fault, there just aren't great rock acts emerging and topping lineups lately.

24 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

What - or more specifically who? - does Love It If We Made It remind me of. It's not Simple Minds or Duran Duran.....but I can't quite nail who it is.

I get a little Waterboys vibe from it. The video looks ripped straight from the 80s too. 

2 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Disagree but it goes to show how music is subjective. To me they are the archetypal manufactured pop band.

The Singer is bad, nasally, whiney. The only good/interesting things about the records is the production. The melodies are not remotely interesting, the lyrics are not remotely interesting. Polished turd.

To prove myself right I checked out an acoustic set - npr tiny desk concert - on youtube and it is shocking. The kind of stuff that would make you drink up and bolt if it came on in your local. You wouldn’t give him a crumpled up receipt if he was busking. Bad songs. Good production. Because the record industry backed them to sell. And they did.

The ‘record industry’ spent so long dismissing them that their manager ending up starting an indie label pretty much just for them, and a good half of their songs focus on things like atheism that commercial radio and Simon Cowell wouldn’t touch with a barge pole, but go off I guess 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Not really. No, not at all in fact. Mumford & The Lads, Arctics and Kasabian all headlined after their first album, as far as I recall (happy to be corrected, but it won't be far off...). The 1975 are set for their 4th number 1 album. Not exactly "shooting up".

4 hours ago, bombfrog said:

Thanks for this defence of the 1975. I got into them because they were playing Dot 2 Dot, which I was already attending. They had just EPs out at the time, which still feature more of their interesting ambient / less poppy stuff. They still play the odd songs from this era today and you should probably check them out.