Lawks! It's only the 2019 Next Announcement Thread!

Gnomicide

52 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Does anyone feel the announcements are having less impact this year? I feel like Kylie's announcement coulda passed me by if I wasn't a festival nerd. And Stormzy didn't seem to be a talking point at all after a couple of days. Not trying to be down on the festival we love, just wondering if anyone felt the same way?

Front page news on the Evening Substandard, so a bit of coverage in the smoke. 

Probably picked up by Metro tomorrow too. 

21 minutes ago, HeyPorter said:

We need a real shocker of an announcement, there’s no surprises at the moment. Even your average casual would’ve told you it was Kylie before today. 

Would they? Do people not on here actually think about who’s rumoured, Oasis aside?

I was kinda thinking the lack of fanfare about the announcement (I’d include Stormzy’s too, personally) was either because the political stuff going on is way too much of a thing to care about who’s playing what next summer, or that the festival scene is feeling the effects of saturation (although I didn’t manage to get tickets for G next year so I’m not sure about that one).

28 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Would they? Do people not on here actually think about who’s rumoured, Oasis aside?

I was kinda thinking the lack of fanfare about the announcement (I’d include Stormzy’s too, personally) was either because the political stuff going on is way too much of a thing to care about who’s playing what next summer, or that the festival scene is feeling the effects of saturation (although I didn’t manage to get tickets for G next year so I’m not sure about that one).

My group were well aware with the Sun announcing it a while back and a lot of them are the types that still think Arctics are gonna turn up. 

9 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Does anyone feel the announcements are having less impact this year? I feel like Kylie's announcement coulda passed me by if I wasn't a festival nerd. And Stormzy didn't seem to be a talking point at all after a couple of days. Not trying to be down on the festival we love, just wondering if anyone felt the same way?

Yea I'd really love some more information and something a bit more impactful. I think coming off a fallow year we're all starved for excitement and Stormzy/Kylie, while good enough bookings, aren't really exciting for us or the media. It's not like they would have been difficult to book or guess. 

I'm a bit worn out with work atm and would love a juicy piece of a headliner rumor or announcement.

Stormzy got a lot of coverage. Lots of "normal" people mentioned it to me.

Kylie hasnt had as much.

A few reasons IMO..

1. She isnt a blast from the past in the same way as others. Or rarely seen. I.e. Dolly Parton. She is always about. If she hadn't done anything in 10 years, it would have made more news.

2. Its 5 days before christmas.

3  News at the min is  buried under brexit.

It got a lot of coverage yesterday, but clearly other events (Brexit) knocked it off the top spot. But even people I know who don’t go to Glastonbury, have no interest in it really, mentioned it.  I’m always impressed with the amount of press coverage in the wider, mainstream media that Glastonbury manages to get. Without, seemingly, trying.

Having seen that clip of Skinner on Annie Mac there, I’m really interested as to how tight the whole ‘no self-confirming’ thing is. The acts seem to go along with it. I wonder what clauses are in the contract, and why, and also how it’s policed and what he penalties are for breaking it. Info over the last 3 or so years has become much more tightly locked down. 

Is it so the lineup announcement and big reveal has more power? 

2 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I’m really interested as to how tight the whole ‘no self-confirming’ thing is. The acts seem to go along with it. I wonder what clauses are in the contract, and why, and also how it’s policed and what he penalties are for breaking it.

I think it's just a general rule, that promoters announce shows and not the band.

It might be contracted or not, but as far as I'm aware Glastonbury don't have a huge issue with info leaking out - it's impossible to keep tight when it's necessary for a number of people to know - and as far as i'm aware no act has ever been penalised.

Before now I've had Michael and others tell me stuff before it's announced, tho they do tend to be more tight-lipped nowadays.

3 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Yeah, right, makes sense. Thanks

It’s just the way in which the artists are so evasive, like they’ve been proper warned against it

it's quite likely that they have been warned against it (as a general thing) by 'their people'.

They'll have been told that stuff will happen in the order of A, B, C, and that they're expected to go along with it.

It's not really anything unusual in a wider business sense, where each part of the chain plays a specific role and isn't expected to step into other people's areas.

• 2 weeks later...

There have only ever been 2 announcements in January:

• Rokia Traore - 17th Jan 2013 (a surprise announcement given his transfer from Liverpool in 2006).
  • Kris Kristofferson - 20th Jan 2017 (announced in an Eavii interview with The Guardian, primarily to talk about The Variety Bazaar)

See you in February.

Just now, Gnomicide said:

There have only ever been 2 announcements in January:

• Rokia Traore - 17th Jan 2013 (a surprise announcement given his transfer from Liverpool in 2006).
  • Kris Kristofferson - 20th Jan 2017 (announced in an Eavii interview with The Guardian, primarily to talk about The Variety Bazaar)

See you in February.

That went quiet as soon as the negotiations with the neighbours concluded.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I think The Stoff leaked his own inclusion a couple of weeks beforehand so they weren’t generously dishing a name out on that one.

He did, from that interview...

Emily: Well, I think a lot of people saw that Kris Kristofferson announced himself on his website this week, so I think we’re OK to talk about that one!

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Huh. She doesn't do that for any of the Unfairground acts that I manage to find on Google dot com.

Indeed. We need more of that sort of thing. A few familiar names asking the questions in that interview.