Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

Just now, Quark said:

Fair enough. Mine's either been for rugby, so short sharp sprints, or cycling where the bottles are nicely attached to the bike. Haven't really done the long running thing. Always like to see how other people train :)

It's strange; I had an injured calf so I cycled during the summer this year and found I drank a lot more cycling than when running. Felt like I needed it too. Was a pretty hot summer though.

2 hours ago, SighMo said:

It's strange; I had an injured calf so I cycled during the summer this year and found I drank a lot more cycling than when running. Felt like I needed it too. Was a pretty hot summer though.

Hiya SighMo. 

Really interesting reading your posts. 

This will probably sound daft, but do you think because you’re a decent experienced runner that you don’t get as hungry / thirsty because you’re covering the distance quicker and more efficiently than us plodders, with less steps / greater stride length, less foot strikes?

Christ almighty @Woffy, I’ve just watched ‘Where Dreams Go To Die’ and a few of the Ginger Runners other vids! I’m hooked! Incredible film making and incredible achievements! How these people run 100 miles is insane, makes my ambition to run a couple of 10km and a half marathon next year look pathetic but everyone’s got to start somewhere aye!

• Like 1

I was significantly fitter in 2017 than I was in the few years I'd attended previously thanks to regular exercise. Had to stop for a bit following a foot injury which left me stagnant for about 3 months, but new office is right next to a gym so joined up and have been going regularly since. I'm doing 10k on a bike in 22ish minutes compared to 26ish at my old gym which is a nice surprise, my general fitness is a lot better and I've started doing weights which makes me feel great considering I was a fatter piece of shit 3 years ago but only lost around 2 stone overall. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, rawrsomesauce said:

I was significantly fitter in 2017 than I was in the few years I'd attended previously thanks to regular exercise. Had to stop for a bit following a foot injury which left me stagnant for about 3 months, but new office is right next to a gym so joined up and have been going regularly since. I'm doing 10k on a bike in 22ish minutes compared to 26ish at my old gym which is a nice surprise, my general fitness is a lot better and I've started doing weights which makes me feel great considering I was a fatter piece of shit 3 years ago but only lost around 2 stone overall. 

Sounds like good progress and losing 2 stone is something you should be very proud of!

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Good effort, Quark. 

I’ve signed up for Pilates! Start tomorrow night. 

I’ll report back afterwards. 

I found pilates really good when I used to do it. Been struggling with logistics to get to it, but hopefully we're back in the routine to get there on a Sunday morning.

Generally quite frustrating to find my fitness has dropped. It's not bad by any stretch, but I've always prided myself on it so it's a knock to the ego to find it's not what it used to be. On the plus side it is a kick up the arse to get better again.

All I have to do now is kick my crippling choc hobnob habit...

1 hour ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Christ almighty @Woffy, I’ve just watched ‘Where Dreams Go To Die’ and a few of the Ginger Runners other vids! I’m hooked! Incredible film making and incredible achievements! How these people run 100 miles is insane, makes my ambition to run a couple of 10km and a half marathon next year look pathetic but everyone’s got to start somewhere aye!

Bloody great, aren’t they! 

Proper inspiring!

Have you watched ‘Life in a Day’ yet? Billy Yang film from the viewpoint of 5 women competing in the Western States 100? That’s frickin’ ace too. 

So glad you enjoyed the others! ?

Ethan Newberry has also released 2 albums of his own music - all the music in his films is his own! - and it’s not bad at all and made specifically to run to! It’s all on Spotify. 

1 minute ago, deebeedoobee said:

First dark run tonight. On the plus side you can’t see the damn hills so it feels easier. You can also see the cars coming. Good job we know these roads round Worthy Farm, makes missing the potholes easier. Need new batteries in my flashy arm bands though, they were barely blinking.

Hi Dee! 

I hope you and yours are well. 

Do you use a head torch? 

8 hours ago, Woffy said:

Hi Dee! 

I hope you and yours are well. 

Do you use a head torch? 

No can’t be doing with the jigging about. I have a micro torch in my hand/ pocket which I switch on if a car comes so they can see me (although they would have to be blind to miss the flashing arm bands, dayglo and reflective stuff). Otherwise it’s running by moonlight. There is far more light out there than you realise. Of course it actually helps that there are no street lights in Pilton. That way your eyes accustomise to the low light.

9 hours ago, Woffy said:

Bloody great, aren’t they! 

Proper inspiring!

Have you watched ‘Life in a Day’ yet? Billy Yang film from the viewpoint of 5 women competing in the Western States 100? That’s frickin’ ace too. 

Ethan Newberry has also released 2 albums of his own music - all the music in his films is his own! - and it’s not bad at all and made specifically to run to! It’s all on Spotify. 

Woffy - have you watched The Barkley Marathons?

You SHOULD!!

Unbelievable!!

?

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

12 hours ago, Woffy said:

Hiya SighMo. 

Really interesting reading your posts. 

This will probably sound daft, but do you think because you’re a decent experienced runner that you don’t get as hungry / thirsty because you’re covering the distance quicker and more efficiently than us plodders, with less steps / greater stride length, less foot strikes?

Not sure about  'less steps, greater stride length' as this is just physiological but I'd say the running efficiency/economy probably makes the difference. The more you run the more your body adapts and eventually you become pretty efficient. I've found I've become very tuned into slight changes in 'normal operating' when I'm running and resting. E.g. if my heart rate is a few beats higher than it should be it usually means I'm coming down with something; a cold maybe.

11 hours ago, Woffy said:

I haven’t watched it yet no, will add it to my watchlist, watched ‘The Why’ last night which was also very good. They have definitely reinvigorated my interest in running and made me want to start covering greater distances. I saw that Ethan had some music on Spotify when I was searching for the podcast, haven’t given in a listen yet, maybe I will on my run tonight!

55 minutes ago, TheBurns said:

Just watched Where Dreams Go To Die and it's incredible! While obviously gutted for Gary after seeing John set off like a zombie for his 5th loop in the first year I was delighted when we finished the following year.

Finished...with a scraggy bit of plastic bag wrapped round him! Mental.

Other ultra runners I like (i.e. my faves):

Courtney Dauwalter - love her, love her, love her. OH MY GOD she is awesome. Check out the story about her finishing a race semi-blind!

Jim Walmsley - like all these guys he's not quite wired up right! But, wow, he just goes for it. Great film about him on YouTube as well, but it doesn't cover his WS100 win this year.

Kilian Jornet (sp?) - cannot be genuinely human, surely. ;-)

5 hours ago, SighMo said:

Not sure about  'less steps, greater stride length' as this is just physiological but I'd say the running efficiency/economy probably makes the difference. The more you run the more your body adapts and eventually you become pretty efficient. I've found I've become very tuned into slight changes in 'normal operating' when I'm running and resting. E.g. if my heart rate is a few beats higher than it should be it usually means I'm coming down with something; a cold maybe.

Just out of interest, what’s your resting heart rate? You obviously do a lot of running and are super fit so I’m just curious. I do a very very limited amount of cardio at the gym, just about 5k a few times a week on the treadmill (at a very slow pace) and maybe 30 mins on the bike. My resting heart rate is about 62. Anyone else care to share? The efestivals resting heart rate league? Ha ha ha....

1 minute ago, Northern Soul said:

Just out of interest, what’s your resting heart rate? You obviously do a lot of running and are super fit so I’m just curious. I do a very very limited amount of cardio at the gym, just about 5k a few times a week on the treadmill (at a very slow pace) and maybe 30 mins on the bike. My resting heart rate is about 62. Anyone else care to share? The efestivals resting heart rate league? Ha ha ha....

drops to about 38 when I sleep. Sits at about 48 at work.

11 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

drops to about 38 when I sleep. Sits at about 48 at work.

?Wow, that is very impressive. I just have a “ base”  level of fitness and I find that does me and is enough for the festival, though I would love to get a bit more cardio fit, just for the sense of achievement if nothing else.