Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

Got the crossfit Doms today, after being away for 3 weeks in Bali and doing a ton of yoga the flexibility is good, but I'm back to strength and cardio to tone up and drop another stone or 2 . Did a ton of front squats, burpees and dumbell work  on Monday and suffering today - and tonights workout (which is posted online) looks horrendous but I know I'll feel good when I've done it - I flippin hate running though , wish I liked it, the gym I go to does a specific 8 week running course which I may sign up to in the New year

49 minutes ago, Fearless_Fish said:

I can't even walk beyond a mile at the moment - stop making me feel inadequate with your "25 minutes on a bike" bragging

c'mon... lets show thoses fitties what we are about...(another 25 minutes this morning..). we've got to start somewhere.

I’m finding my routine of a tempo run on a Tuesday, interval speed work on a Thursday, a long distance run some time over the weekend and some cycling sessions in between is really starting to help me improve my times. Thinking of adding in a short but hilly route in the New Year as well to make things more difficult for myself.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Travis Tee said:

I am struggling at the moment though as I am doing chest and shoulders together after doing my chest I am failing to lift the weight I used to with my shoulders. I think I might alternate on my fist and third day between chest and shoulders first. What do you reckon? 

Yeah definitely. I used to do that. The good thing is chest and shoulders compliment each other really well so increasing your shoulder strength will also help with your bench. 

Alternatively, you don't have to do chest and shoulders in two distinct blocks. You could do your bench press and then your shoulder press straight after as these are the two main compound movements. And then do your accessory stuff however you feel. 

Another treadmill run tonight. 

Was supposed to be tomorrow, but I forgot (utter moron, that I am) that we’re going to see Interpol tomorrow at the RAH. 

10 miles in 67 minutes at 9mph. 

Loving my new treadmill set up! Watching running films on YouTube really helps. 

That said, REALLY looking forward to a proper long trail run at the weekend. 

9 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Got the crossfit Doms today, after being away for 3 weeks in Bali and doing a ton of yoga the flexibility is good, but I'm back to strength and cardio to tone up and drop another stone or 2 . Did a ton of front squats, burpees and dumbell work  on Monday and suffering today - and tonights workout (which is posted online) looks horrendous but I know I'll feel good when I've done it - I flippin hate running though , wish I liked it, the gym I go to does a specific 8 week running course which I may sign up to in the New year

This is an amazing post FF! Bali! 3 weeks!

And where is this workout posted online???!!!

Edited by Woffy

13 hours ago, Travis Tee said:

I am struggling at the moment though as I am doing chest and shoulders together after doing my chest I am failing to lift the weight I used to with my shoulders. I think I might alternate on my fist and third day between chest and shoulders first. What do you reckon? 

7 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Yeah definitely. I used to do that. The good thing is chest and shoulders compliment each other really well so increasing your shoulder strength will also help with your bench. 

Alternatively, you don't have to do chest and shoulders in two distinct blocks. You could do your bench press and then your shoulder press straight after as these are the two main compound movements. And then do your accessory stuff however you feel. 

That's how I do it now, so I go straight from bench into a hang clean & military press.  Short on time so I just do compound work these days rather than isolation sets.

One thing I have found is that since I've tweaked my form around a bit I'm much better able to avoid using the front delts for my bench, so I'm fresher for the shoulder work.  The other option I've tried is to change the order around, so some mornings I'll hit the shoulder first and then go onto the bench.

You might have come across him already, but I find Jeff Cavaliere has some really useful technique and form videos on his Athlean-X youtube channel.  It's really helped with my form, and some of his advice is starting to correct years of abuse to my shoulders and upper back!

29 minutes ago, Quark said:

That's how I do it now, so I go straight from bench into a hang clean & military press.  Short on time so I just do compound work these days rather than isolation sets.

One thing I have found is that since I've tweaked my form around a bit I'm much better able to avoid using the front delts for my bench, so I'm fresher for the shoulder work.

This might as well be written in Coptic Greek. Baffling! 

4 minutes ago, Woffy said:

This might as well be written in Coptic Greek. Baffling! 

Hmm, let's see.

Lift stuff, then lift more stuff in different direction with different muscles. Lift stuff in ways that use lots of muscles at once instead of isolating single muscles.

Lifting stuff with better technique means right muscles get used for right exercises so some muscles don't get over-tired and stop you lifting stuff.

Better? :lol:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

Oh wow, that's a pretty good job, especially on a treadmill all alone. I don't like indoor exercise, the sweat feels dirtier and find it harder to breathe. Treadmill takes really getting used to. But I fully understand you - don't know what I would be doing in the winter if I didn't have a well-lit running track nearby. 

A short run in the dark tonight with arms and shirts lit up like Christmas trees. I wonder if we could get pick up on the webcam if we ran past the pyramid? 

What is with this weather??? running in short sleeve shirt and shorts in November!!! I’m not complaining, oh no, no way, it’s great!

hats off to those who use the dreadmill. I just couldn’t do more than 30 mins before going completely batshit with boredom. Plus it’s too hot and claustrophobic running inside for me. However we do what we gotta do.

10 hours ago, Quark said:

Hmm, let's see.

Lift stuff, then lift more stuff in different direction with different muscles. Lift stuff in ways that use lots of muscles at once instead of isolating single muscles.

Lifting stuff with better technique means right muscles get used for right exercises so some muscles don't get over-tired and stop you lifting stuff.

Better? :lol:

Much!

Manual Handling 101 then.

10 hours ago, StupidDream said:

Oh wow, that's a pretty good job, especially on a treadmill all alone. I don't like indoor exercise, the sweat feels dirtier and find it harder to breathe. Treadmill takes really getting used to. But I fully understand you - don't know what I would be doing in the winter if I didn't have a well-lit running track nearby. 

2 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

A short run in the dark tonight with arms and shirts lit up like Christmas trees. I wonder if we could get pick up on the webcam if we ran past the pyramid? 

What is with this weather??? running in short sleeve shirt and shorts in November!!! I’m not complaining, oh no, no way, it’s great!

hats off to those who use the dreadmill. I just couldn’t do more than 30 mins before going completely batshit with boredom. Plus it’s too hot and claustrophobic running inside for me. However we do what we gotta do.

I'll post a little pic later of my garage treadmill / laptop (with inspiration running videos playing) set-up!

1 hour ago, baggienick68 said:

Yesterday I cycled 10 miles around Stratford. Not a lot by some of your standards but ok for an old guy like me.

Fair play to you.... I did about the same this morning but didn’t move out of the outbuilding that doubles as my gym...

it near killed me and I didn’t have to watch for traffic.!

14 hours ago, Woffy said:

Another treadmill run tonight. 

Was supposed to be tomorrow, but I forgot (utter moron, that I am) that we’re going to see Interpol tomorrow at the RAH. 

Loving my new treadmill set up! Watching running films on YouTube really helps. 

That said, REALLY looking forward to a proper long trail run at the weekend. 

This is an amazing post FF! Bali! 3 weeks!

And where is this workout posted online???!!!

On our crossfit site, -- I like it it some ways as you can see what the workout of the day is before going into the gym, but in other ways when its stuff I hate (erm last night box jump overs, wall balls, kettlebell swings was one part  - 21-18-15-11-8-5-3 which was after 4 rounds of 8 pull ups/2 wall walks /15 sit ups) its that dread feeling (till its done)

Edited by Funkyfairy!

53 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

On our crossfit site, -- I like it it some ways as you can see what the workout of the day is before going into the gym, but in other ways when its stuff I hate (erm last night box jump overs, wall balls, kettlebell swings was one part  - 21-18-15-11-8-5-3 which was after 4 rounds of 8 pull ups/2 wall walks /15 sit ups) its that dread feeling (till its done)

Bloody hell!

Also: I can't even imagine being able to do a single pull up other than the ones I put on my two year old sometimes.

3 hours ago, Woffy said:

Bloody hell!

Also: I can't even imagine being able to do a single pull up other than the ones I put on my two year old sometimes.

I can;t do one either :girlmad: - I move about an inch when I try but there are scaled options for all exercises , and hence a band around the knee assisted pull ups (or ring rows) are equally acceptable