Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

12 minutes ago, Woffy said:

I totally get this.

Don't mind running in the cold / rain, but it's difficult to get out in the winter evenings for me due to kids, not being able to get out until late when - around here (semi-rural) it's utterly pitch black with no streetlights or pavement but people still hacking it down country lanes with a national speed limit.

So, after moving I quickly bought a second hand dreadmill which I've got in the garage (and I put a laptop on a shelf in front of it to watch NetFlix / YouTube), which as been a godsend. I see the dreadmill as 'training'. Running outside as for fun.

My routine is now that I run twice (8 to 10 miles as at as fast a speed as possible) on the dreadmill during the week then a long run outside at the weekend...possibly two runs - one long, one short - on my three day weekends (which are every other week).

I've got very little interest in anything 'organised' to do with my running, tbh, until I get to 50k.

I think if it gets too serious / organised it'll remove the fun for me. 

I'm aiming for two 50ks in the first half of 2019 (still looking at potential ones) and then maybe further (50mi???!!!) towards the end of the year, early 2020 depending on how they go.

But all good plans and that...

This has just reminded me, don't some people do a run around Glastonbury on the Thursday morning or something? I've never seen them though and don't know anyone who has ever done it (or even considered it) - maybe it's just a nasty rumour?

I should point out here that I am obviously in no way considering this as a course of action....

2 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

This has just reminded me, don't some people do a run around Glastonbury on the Thursday morning or something? I've never seen them though and don't know anyone who has ever done it (or even considered it) - maybe it's just a nasty rumour?

I should point out here that I am obviously in no way considering this as a course of action....

They definitely do.

I've seen them pre-run grouped together down at Williams Green. It's a great idea but definitely not for me.

The festival is full on debauchery for me and during those few days i'd much rather be swigging a can of cider at 9.30am than dragging my hungover corpse on a run!

7 hours ago, slash's hat said:

Sounds like a worlds strongest man contest! 

It's some similar exercises, but nowhere near the weights!  Friend of mine actually retired from rugby to take up competitive strongman, and the weights he throws around are absolutely ridiculous. Truck pulls and all sorts!  Weights are just like distances or times in running; one person's unattainable is someone else's everyday training :)

26 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Does anyone have any particular races they're looking at next year? 

Enjoying the tabbing approach a bit more now, so I've got the Fan Dance in January and then maybe a second crack at the Paras 10 in May.  My Dad has set himself the target of doing the 10 miles (he'll be 72 and has a crippling back problem) so he's doing it without the weighted bag.  If he's fit enough to do it then me and my brother will walk it with him, but if he can't make it then I'll try and beat the 2 hour time I just missed last year.

Probably going to push myself to finally do a local half marathon next year as well, injuries permitting!

6 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

They definitely do.

I've seen them pre-run grouped together down at Williams Green. It's a great idea but definitely not for me.

The festival is full on debauchery for me and during those few days i'd much rather be swigging a can of cider at 9.30am than dragging my hungover corpse on a run!

Spot on Joey!

Debauchery + I really don't want to be any sweatier and smellier than I need to be! I think i'd feel even rankerer after a run, even with a sink / tent / bucket wash.

Not for me!

7 minutes ago, Woffy said:

think i'd feel even rankerer after a run, even with a sink / tent / bucket wash.

Not for me!

Urgh I hadn't even thought of that! All that booze sweating out if you too...gross! I'm happy enough sweating that off from the confirm of my sleeping bag thanks very much

39 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Urgh I hadn't even thought of that! All that booze sweating out if you too...gross!

...the morning after the eFests meet.

46 minutes ago, Quark said:

I know that everyone does their own festival but........come on guys!

Probably the same people who go swimming in the sea on New Years Day. Admirable, but insane.

(That said two of my favourite books of the last couple of years were written by women who do exactly this: Amy Liptrot and Jessica J Lee. Both of whom are ace).

3 hours ago, JoeyT said:

I've already signed up to the Bristol 10k in May, aiming for a sub 50mins.

Then looking to do another 10k sometime over the summer and waiting for pay day to sign up for the Bristol half Marathon in Sept.

Very difficult to protect yourself from cold rain. I don't mind rain, but if it's around freezing it really drains you. Putting on extra gear will likely suffocate you or won't protect you after an hour of rain. Wind is also a real obstacle, mainly mentally at first. Cold wind is really off-putting at first, but once you're going, it's fine. If you're suffering at the end, it could really break you. So I often say I prefer rain over wind. 

For races, I mostly attend (cheap) small-scale (50-300 participants) local 5-15k runs. Don't like the big fuzz of those big organised runs, often takes long to get there too. So I try to limit those to once or twice a year. A big and cheerful audience is kinda nice though and could help. You want to present yourselves well then, so it also offers some motivation to get to your goal. Nothing big planned yet, will be March at the earliest anyway.

Speaking of races. Had a local 5k park run last Saturday and it went really well! Had a personal track record and second best ever. In two weeks last one of the series, hoping to get that personal best. Fingers crossed for some decent weather. This summer wasn't great for setting records, too hot.

1 minute ago, StupidDream said:

Had a local 5k park run last Saturday and it went really well! Had a personal track record and second best ever. In two weeks last one of the series, hoping to get that personal best. Fingers crossed for some decent weather. This summer wasn't great for setting records, too hot.

I should really start going to these regularly. There's one in Eccie Park which is literally across the road from my house.... I went once about a year ago and it wasn't so bad. Plus it should mean my cider intake of a Friday evening goes down to. Win-win. 

27 minutes ago, StupidDream said:

Speaking of races. Had a local 5k park run last Saturday and it went really well! Had a personal track record and second best ever. In two weeks last one of the series, hoping to get that personal best. Fingers crossed for some decent weather. This summer wasn't great for setting records, too hot

Good stuff!  What was the time if you don't mind me asking?

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Good stuff!  What was the time if you don't mind me asking?

I'm not that talented, so 21:14 :lol: (Woffy did 10 mi at this tempo last week ?) Some of my running group can do it under 16 minutes so it already feels kinda slow to me. But knowing lots of people will struggle with 25 or won't even get off their couch, makes me at list a bit proud.

15 minutes ago, StupidDream said:

I'm not that talented, so 21:14 :lol: (Woffy did 10 mi at this tempo last week ?) Some of my running group can do it under 16 minutes so it already feels kinda slow to me. But knowing lots of people will struggle with 25 or won't even get off their couch, makes me at list a bit proud.

Damn straight, still better than my parkrun pb! In as much as I set goals for running, breaking 20 is mine. Under 16 is just nuts!

32 minutes ago, StupidDream said:

On a treadmill...so doesn't really count!

Did my usual Tuesday night 8m in 1 hour on the treadmill last night. Whilst watching an episode of  Season 1 of The Last Kingdom on the laptop. The time rattled by.

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:18 AM, JoeyT said:

I don't mind rain, it's good to push yourself in those conditions.

It's just the dark. I like to run on cycle tracks / greenways which around my way aren't lit up. Don't like having to stop at traffic lights, junctions etc. 

Agreed on the rain - almost makes it more epic when youre really pushing it?

and I'm signed up for the Hackney Half in May - worried now as the furthest I've managed is 10k!

1 minute ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Struggled with my run last night, kept getting massively out of breath and felt like I was running through water by the effort of it. I'm going to brush it off as an anomaly based on being overly tired and giving blood on Monday. Hopefully normal service will resume tomorrow!

The blood thing will definitely have had an effect!!

3 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

I assumed as it had been nearly 24 hours I would be fine but I'll chalk it up to this and being tired and grumpy also not helping.

Just found this online. Only one view, but talks in terms of weeks for full recovery so 24 hours would definitely have been pushing it :lol:

https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a20785818/say-i-donate-blood-how-long-till-im-back-to-normal/

Great to push through, but I wouldn't beat yourself up if you're noticing a drop in performance!

29 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

Agreed on the rain - almost makes it more epic when youre really pushing it?

and I'm signed up for the Hackney Half in May - worried now as the furthest I've managed is 10k!

You'll be fine for the half, 10k is a good starting point - it's about 6 miles and you've got six months to get the miles in.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Just found this online. Only one view, but talks in terms of weeks for full recovery so 24 hours would definitely have been pushing it :lol:

https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a20785818/say-i-donate-blood-how-long-till-im-back-to-normal/

Great to push through, but I wouldn't beat yourself up if you're noticing a drop in performance!

Ah, you're faster :P Was about to say I'll definitely need about 1 or 2 weeks to have some proper recovery after full blood donation. Compare it to performance on altitude, will also take a while to adjust.

For regular training, blood donation or not, don't try to push yourself to hard, can only do harm. Especially with very regular training: can't go to the maximum every time. 

10 minutes ago, Quark said:

Holy crap I had no idea it could have that short of impact and last that long, think I'll be taking it easier for the rest of the week then, will hold back on the tempo of my intervals tomorrow and ensure I take it easy on my long run on Sat. Thanks for the link!

2 minutes ago, StupidDream said:

For regular training, blood donation or not, don't try to push yourself to hard, can only do harm. Especially with very regular training: can't go to the maximum every time. 

Definitely. Made that mistake training for Paras 10, went on too many runs with full weight and full distance and burned out.  Should have got the hint when I realised my training runs were getting worse!