Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

16 minutes ago, SighMo said:

My training volume has picked up over the last 4 weeks post injury so my RHR is dropping as I get back to fitness. I've never tested when sleeping but I saw 43 yesterday. The lowest I've seen is 34.

Very impressive sir. I remember watching the Tour de France a number of years ago and the commentators were discussing RHR, Miguel Induraine, they said, has/had a RHR of 28..!! 

Blimey you lot put me to shame. Have managed half hour on an exercise bike :huh:

I have though not had any alcohol for 5 days, and am now 2 weeks into eating fermented foods and Kefir to help out the general health.

will look at a run next week I hope

Edited by fred quimby

9 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Blimey you lot put me to shame. Have managed half hour on an exercise bike :huh:

I have though not had any alcohol for 5 days, and am now 2 weeks into eating fermented foods and Kifer to help out the general health.

will look at a run next week I hope

Just take it easy to start with. Maybe start off by run/walking: run for 3 or 4 mins and then walk for 1 or 2 mins. This is how I started when I was about 38. Then after a bit increase the run time gradually and just walk for 1 minute. Eventually you can drop the walking bit; when you can go for 20 mins you've cracked it. You do need to embrace whatever excersise you choose though and make it something you enjoy and part of your weekly routine. I started like this and they before I knew it I was running 3 to 5 miles 3 or 4 times per week. I now run every day just about.

You'll find the weight loss curve is pretty steep to begin with as long as you don't reward a short run with too many cakes. Each mile should burn about 100 calories.

17 minutes ago, SighMo said:

Just take it easy to start with. Maybe start off by run/walking: run for 3 or 4 mins and then walk for 1 or 2 mins. This is how I started when I was about 38. Then after a bit increase the run time gradually and just walk for 1 minute. Eventually you can drop the walking bit; when you can go for 20 mins you've cracked it. You do need to embrace whatever excersise you choose though and make it something you enjoy and part of your weekly routine. I started like this and they before I knew it I was running 3 to 5 miles 3 or 4 times per week. I now run every day just about.

You'll find the weight loss curve is pretty steep to begin with as long as you don't reward a short run with too many cakes. Each mile should burn about 100 calories.

Cheers

I did start doing that but knackered my achilles tendon on the right foot (stopped my footie years ago) then lost both my big toenails due to a 20 mile walk, they took weeks to come off and I could hardly walk. So I will get back into trying and will take that advice.

What I want o try is mix it up with Running a couple of times a week and then swimming as well. I do find swimming a bit dull but will try with music to see if that helps.

14 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Cheers

I did start doing that but knackered my achilles tendon on the right foot (stopped my footie years ago) then lost both my big toenails due to a 20 mile walk, they took weeks to come off and I could hardly walk. So I will get back into trying and will take that advice.

What I want o try is mix it up with Running a couple of times a week and then swimming as well. I do find swimming a bit dull but will try with music to see if that helps.

I don't enjoy swimming; only on the beach. Like I said, you need to kind of enjoy what you're doing or you'll stop.

1 hour ago, SighMo said:

I don't enjoy swimming; only on the beach. Like I said, you need to kind of enjoy what you're doing or you'll stop.

I hear what you are saying. Been a few years now since I did anything regular ( more fibre comes the call) so going to try a few things and See, although I get bored of them all so a mixture each week might work

10 hours ago, The Clearest Blue said:

I found for me the big change came when I moved from running to lose weight to running for enjoyment, it’s no longer ‘oh god I have to run today’, it’s ‘yes I get to go running today!’ Just about to go for my long weekend run and I’m very much looking forward to it :)

I'm not at that point yet but maybe not too far off. I started for a couple of reasons. One was I got ill and two, was while I was ill I lost a bit of weight and promised myself I'd try to keep the weight off when (if) I got better. Started running and found I enjoyed it and so entered a 10K race. One thing led to another and since then I get a massive buzz out of hitting targets; that was when I was 38 and I'm nearly 53 now. I do really enjoy it but have never just run for 'fun' as I'm always trying to get in shape for the next race, usually a marathon...currently sat here at work on nights pondering tomorrow's long run :)

1 hour ago, SighMo said:

I'm not at that point yet but maybe not too far off. I started for a couple of reasons. One was I got ill and two, was while I was ill I lost a bit of weight and promised myself I'd try to keep the weight off when (if) I got better. Started running and found I enjoyed it and so entered a 10K race. One thing led to another and since then I get a massive buzz out of hitting targets; that was when I was 38 and I'm nearly 53 now. I do really enjoy it but have never just run for 'fun' as I'm always trying to get in shape for the next race, usually a marathon...currently sat here at work on nights pondering tomorrow's long run :)

I envy your race motivation SighMo! 

I’m weirdly the opposite. The thought of organised races / running does nothing for me! I just like plodding around in the middle of nowhere, getting muddy, hopping over stiles, edging warily around horses (scary fucking things!) almost dying running up awful hills, but then thinking how much better the uphills are as the downhills hurt my legs in New and different ways!

47 minutes ago, Woffy said:

I envy your race motivation SighMo! 

I’m weirdly the opposite. The thought of organised races / running does nothing for me! I just like plodding around in the middle of nowhere, getting muddy, hopping over stiles, edging warily around horses (scary fucking things!) almost dying running up awful hills, but then thinking how much better the uphills are as the downhills hurt my legs in New and different ways!

I'm the same as you with hills; always think I'm about to get injured on a big downhill. We regularly run over the Purbeck Hills (Dorset coast) and it's the cows that worry me when we get a bit close; too unpredictable.

This summer I did two and half days with friend on a charity run which wasn't competetive and it turned out to be one of my most memorable running trips. He was running the Tour de France route, covering 30-35 miles per day every day to cover the 2080 miles in the 70 days before the riders got to Paris. The couple of days we did with him were tough but very uplifting.

Another mostly cross country 13 miler early this morning. Soaked. Didn’t wear my ultra vest / take my phone / use my app which was nice. 

Any recommendations on a decent, not too complicated watch to record running data anyone? 

What’s best: Garmin?

Looked online and it’s all too baffling. 

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

Another mostly cross country 13 miler early this morning. Soaked. Didn’t wear my ultra vest / take my phone / use my app which was nice. 

Any recommendations on a decent, not too complicated watch to record running data anyone? 

I used the basic Garmin model for years (Forerunner 10 I think) and it was great. One button press to find location, one to start and you’re away, saves all your times and records, it’s great.

Got an Apple Watch recently and installed the Nike running app... it’s shite, barely works properly. Yesterday instead of a nice, satisfying 11 mile total I’ve got a 3.15, a 0.25 and a 7.6. It’s utter bollocks.

Going back to my trusty Garmin.

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I used the basic Garmin model for years (Forerunner 10 I think) and it was great. One button press to find location, one to start and you’re away, saves all your times and records, it’s great.

Got an Apple Watch recently and installed the Nike running app... it’s shite, barely works properly. Yesterday instead of a nice, satisfying 11 mile total I’ve got a 3.15, a 0.25 and a 7.6. It’s utter bollocks.

Going back to my trusty Garmin.

Haha!

Nice review Hugh!

Duly noted. 

*skips off to google...*

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

I use the Garmin Forerunner 235, which is pretty easy to use. You can do quite a lot with it, if you put some time in it. The watch has been around for some years now, and has a lot of users and is well reviewed. Consequently lots of info from users to be found online and all kinds of extras you can upload to your watch. Price might be pretty steep, but it's essentially a smart watch and Garmin has models that are far more expensive. So I find it good value for money, especially because I wear it all the time. Only small problem I've had with it recently is the accuracy of the GPS while running in a park with tree cover and narrow, twisty roads. Probably most watches that don't cost a fortune will have similar issues. Using the watch has given me some extra motivation to train frequently and push myself harder. You can also connect to other users via Garmin or Strava, which can be fun and adds some form of competition.

4 minutes ago, StupidDream said:

I use the Garmin Forerunner 235, which is pretty easy to use. You can do quite a lot with it, if you put some time in it. The watch has been around for some years now, and has a lot of users and is well reviewed. Consequently lots of info from users to be found online and all kinds of extras you can upload to your watch. Price might be pretty steep, but it's essentially a smart watch and Garmin has models that are far more expensive. So I find it good value for money, especially because I wear it all the time. Only small problem I've had with it recently is the accuracy of the GPS while running in a park with tree cover and narrow, twisty roads. Probably most watches that don't cost a fortune will have similar issues. Using the watch has given me some extra motivation to train frequently and push myself harder. You can also connect to other users via Garmin or Strava, which can be fun and adds some form of competition.

Lovely stuff. 

Thanks very much for that SD; really appreciated. 

It’s the GPS thing that concerns me. My longer runs are basically in the middle of nowhere, often up and down the Test Way. I often don’t see a road / any cars or another human being for up to 2 hours. 

Thanks - and to Hugh, above - for helping give me a starting point for researching. 

?

Edited by Woffy

14 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Lovely stuff. 

Thanks very much for that SD; really appreciated. 

It’s the GPS thing that concerns me. My longer runs are basically in the middle of nowhere, often up and down the Test Way. I often don’t see a road / any cars or another human being for up to 2 hours. 

Thanks - and to Hugh, above - for helping give me a starting point for researching. 

?

What's your concern exactly? :P For GPS the proximity to the human world shouldn't really matter (mostly it's ability to connect to satellites), in this case it's not like your car's navigation system. You do have watches with navigation, but I wouldn't like to navigate while running... Maybe you can upload your route to the watch and providing you with some directions, but haven't looked into that. The Garmin 235 also records altitude, although I feel it's a bit exaggerated for the mostly flat area I run in.

If your concern (or from your relatives) is your isolation in case of emergency (which seems unlikely reading what you do :lol: ), you have all kinds of options with GPS trackers and panic buttons. Dunno if these are incorporated in some of the expensive watches.